Guest Post by Leonardo Drake

I’ve never had to be much of a storyteller, so do forgive me if I make a mess of things. As Pre-Chaos citizens, Luna—the sex witch whose mark I just accepted—I, and every other Mythical and Untouched in our corner of Upstate New York, understand that the Wicked Witch Writer will always be the one to record and share our stories with the Reading World. But last night, at 9:34 pm, the Storyteller tapped the back of my shoulder with a stroke of her keyboard.

“Leo?” she said, in words that thundered as she typed them into my mind.

I looked out through her laptop screen and was ready to answer, ‘Is that you, oh great writing goddess?’ but one glance into her shiny eyes told me the smartass remark would have cost me a limb I would really miss. Instead, I said, “Yes, Storyteller.” We rarely call her Wicked Witch Writer to her face.

She sighed before saying, “Would you mind proofreading something for me?”

“What?” I got to my feet and moved so close to the inside of the LCD screen that I’m sure I’ve left a permanent impression of my forehead on it. “What do you mean? I’m a citizen, a character. I… I can’t interfere with the records of life in Pre-Chaos. Those are your rules,” I said.  

She sighed again; deeper this time. “I don’t want you to change anything. That is not how storytelling works,” she paused and swallowed. “I just need you to… just read it and you’ll see.”

I turned my back towards the screen, closed my eyes, and waited until the Wicked Witch Writer typed the spell, which creates the mirror that allows characters to scry-read the tales of their world. “That is not my brother, Storyteller,” I said. “It looks and sounds like Jeff, but the person you describe in ‘J.D. The Butcher’ is not the brother I grew up with.”

“I know,” she told me. “I’m not well at the moment. I’m distracted. There are… things going on in the Reading World; things that I think have affected this week’s recording of your story.”

“I nodded,” rereading the words that showed a creature dressed in my brother’s skin, but acting unlike him. “Why didn’t you ask Luna?” I was excited and feeling more than honored that the Wicked Witch Writer was asking my opinion. She has never looked at our world directly through my eyes. My Luna—don’t tell her I called her my, I’m not sure how she feels about that yet. Anyway, the Storyteller has always assumed the point of view of the witch who claimed my heart.

“You know about this part of Jeff’s life, but Luna doesn’t,” the Wicked Witch Writer said. “Telling her might create serious problems in your world.”

I watched as the words, which had just hovered in the air for me to scry-read, began to vanish. “I’ve never seen it happen,” I said, but I’ve heard about the dangers of foreshadowing. What are you going to do, Storyteller?”

“I’m thinking about taking a break this week.” She ran a hand through her hair and I noticed her brown curls had been cut very short. “You know I write the tales of Pre-Chaos the night before I share them with the Reading World. I don’t want to disappoint my Wicked Darlings. I think reading about what happened, coming from you, might help them understand my reasons a bit better.”

“What do I write?” My hair began to coil around my arms and neck. That tends to happen when I’m nervous.

“Write truth,” she said. “That always helps. I will come back later to help you publish your guest post.” The Storyteller’s finger clicked the x that temporarily closes communication between worlds.  

That is the reason why I’m writing to you today. Our Wicked Witch Writer had one of those weeks… and her feelings drew a strange coat around Jeff. I’m not saying that my big brother isn’t dark and even bloody at times. I mean, “Instinct” was inspired by him, and the words of my song… well, be you be the judge:
Debone my heart and taste my love,
I want to live inside you.
Cut out my soul and eat me whole,
I don’t want to exist outside of you.

I know how it sounds; I wrote it. But trust me; Jeffery Drake is a complex individual who must be approached carefully. He can be… uncanny, but not the strange man the Wicked Witch Writer described in the words I just scry-read. Next Friday, when you read “J.D. The Butcher,” the eighth installment in The Haunting: a Webserial of Pre-Chaos, you will glimpse into my brother’s soul and understand what I mean.  
In Pre-Chaos, we burn black candles to feed the souls and guide the way of our departed.
Love and friendship-fueled flames to illuminate the mysterious path to come.
Malleable black to welcome the existence of the unknown.

Image borrowed from Undulant Fever...
and he borrowed it from Wikimedia Commons...
yes, quite a bit of borrowing going on ;-/ 

Share |

30 comments:

  1. Well, Leo, thanks for letting us know. I look forward to getting to know your brother next week.

    And, Magaly, I hope you're feeling better soon! *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother won't disappoint. He has a way of doing exactly what people need, even when they don't think that's the right thing for them.

      Delete
  2. Leo, thank you for taking a turn at giving us more insight into your world and that of Wicked Witch Writer....but I will make sure I won't let her know you call her anything but Storyteller.
    And to Magaly.....blessings, Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Mrs. Linda. You sound like a lady whose mere presence would make a person feel blessed.

      Delete
  3. Leo, thank you so much. Please do tell our beloved Witch Writer that her Wicked Darlings love her. Give her a gentle hug and let her rest. We'll be here, eagerly waiting to devour her next delicious concoction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly will. It is such a delight to know our Wicked Witch Writer is kept in such high regards by her friends.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for some insights of your brother Leo .... I, for one, look forward to meeting this uncanny individual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The unknowing is quite attractive, at least for me. I hope you like what you find on the other side of the veil.

      Delete
  5. I am looking forward to getting to know Leo's brother! Big Hugs Magaly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure Jeff feels the same way. He likes people. A lot. Too much, some might say...

      Delete
  6. I wish I had hair that could do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having hair that reflects your emotions--even when you don't want to--can be quite the burden, but I guess it is really nice to be able to use it to caress one's love, too. The trade off is worth exposure... I guess I understand you wish.

      Delete
  7. aaaah, Leo...it's kind of weird...to meet you outside of your mystic & mythical life. but a good thing. it's pretty cool to 'step out' of our heads and give (your) Wicked Witch Writer...a break?!! tell YOUR side of things. looking forward to more...and glimpsing into JD's (dark) soul!!

    (great writing magaly!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is somewhat strange to address the Reading World directly, but the Storyteller didn't leave me a choice. And I'm glad because it felt right ;-)

      Delete
  8. Thank you Leo...this post has helped to show how complex the mind of our witchy friend is...as well as how complicated your life has become. I look forward immensely to learning more about your brother...blessed be :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like my brother, Mrs. Gina.

      Delete
  9. Looking forward to next week for sure!! And I like that your hair coils around you when you get nervous.
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This living hair can be annoying and telling at times, but I wouldn't know what to do without it.

      Delete
  10. People are never all good nor all bad...I think we will read J.D.'s story eyes that accept all the colors of the world. Personally, I'm looking forward to getting to know him better, after all you've alluded to about him. Thank you for helping Magaly today.

    Magaly, feel better! And remember any disappointment your readers feel isn't in you but in missing your art. It just reminds all of us (you, also) that we love what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. *like* He has got a great voice, even when written down.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad I took the time to catch up on your blogs today Magaly! Time has swallowed my intents of the past month! The name Luna grabbed my attention as you probably knew it would LOL

    How could any of us ever be disappointed??? Perish that thought!

    Sending love to you beautiful witch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Luna is quite enthralling, I'm glad she holds your attention.

      Delete
  13. OMG! This was brilliant. I love Leo and may partake a fantasy or 2. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you. You are quite lovable yourself ;-)

      Delete
  14. Wow ~ your imagination never ceases to inspire, even during a difficult week.
    ♥Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  15. You never fail to surprise me.:P I loved this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that stays true for always ;-)

      Delete