Monday, June 18, 2012

It Doesn’t Hurt the Human, It’s No Different than Kicking Dumb Meat

I thought about Sweettooth being poked and kicked, grabbed by the back of the neck and pushed to the ground by Grosso, and I had to post this entry before publishing part four of “The Haunting.” I feel my tales all the way to my core, my Wicked Luvs; when one of my characters hurt, I suffer with them. I cried for Sweettooth when I wrote Berries for Sweet.

So if my heart aches for a mara, a nightmare eater, a character I made up! can you imagine the pain that squeezes my gut when I read that human beings pay money to watch how a “donkey is shocked with a cattle prod until he tries to run away, once he is running people on horseback run the donkey down, throwing a rope around its neck, and another one around its rear legs. Once roped the donkey is then stretched between two horses?”

I read Oma Linda’s words more than twenty times. I love my friend, but I wanted her to be wrong. I wanted her love for donkeys to have affected her perception of the world around her, and to have pushed her to write a biased article.

But you know what? Denial can be infinitely delicious… and just as poisonous as ignorance. Still, I wanted my Oma Linda to be wrong. I told myself, Maybe there are some organizations that practice some kind of gentler roping. So I looked for articles on donkey roping. The third title in my search read, “Team Donkey Roping – Peaceful Valley Donkey Rescue.” My hoping heart held on to “peaceful” and I clicked on. The link took me to “Lashing Out,” and there I read this:
“It doesn’t hurt the donkey, it’s no different than roping a steer. There is no harm done.”

How can an intelligent animal say those words and actually believe them? I wonder how the human roper would feel if a donkey splits his skull with a hoof, and says to his buddies,
“It doesn’t hurt the human, it’s no different than kicking a sack of dumb meat; fun, bloody and entertaining. You need to see how all the other donkeys bray loud cheers when a silly humans scream in delight.”

Yes, saying that donkey roping doesn’t hurt is just as stupid as believing that a kick on the head is fun. Oh, pardon me; I nearly forgot. Donkey roping is just like roping a steer. See? Harmless.
Borrowed from SHARK
And the horses seem to enjoy the fun just as much as the steer does. Of course that isn’t pain so raw that would make any souled animal know that this horse took all the abuse it could handle. That would be inhuman. Who would do such thing?
Borrowed from SHARK
This donkey seems to be enjoying himself the most. See? He carries souvenirs! 
Borrowed from CNN iReport
No; my goodness, those aren’t sores on his neck. We are a civilized nation; a humane society of builders and helpers. We would never put a rope around the neck of another being, and pull and squeeze until rough rope burned flesh, or until the tension snapped a living neck; only a soulless animal would do that.

I’m crying right now. I’m angry. I pray to the energy that made us all, in hope that you are pissed off, too. For if enough of us aren’t outraged and willing to do something about things like this, then our children will only get the carcass of the world we wanted them to grow up in.

If you haven’t done it yet, visit Oma Linda’s “Donkey lovers protest World Championship Roping Contest in Van Horn Texas.” Let the producers of CNN know how you feel about it. Tell a little boy that he is right, a roped donkey most likely feels “alone, hurt, sad.”

And if you are lucky enough to live closed to one of these lovely creatures, be a darling and give them a kiss for me.

I will publish part four of “The Haunting” this coming Thursday.
Don’t be too upset, my Wicked Luvs. I don’t want to share spoilers, but as the story of Luna, Leo, the crows, Jeff, Sweettooth… develops, you’ll see why this post was so important to me.

Save an ass, rope the cruelty of a heartless jerk.

Share |

45 comments:

  1. We have the equivalent here in the cornfield where I live.

    We don't have donkey's so they just substitute homosexuals . . . well the slow ones, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It starts with bugs, then lizards, then frogs, then the animals get bigger and smarter, until the torture reaches humans and still the torturer thinks is just okay.

      What can we expect from a child who is taught that torture is fun?

      Delete
    2. You can expect Abhu Graib, Guantanamo, tactical interrogation techniques etc.

      Delete
  2. Stuff like this makes me embarrassed to be a Texan for a moment. Sad and sick.

    \IiiI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not only in Texas. We both know that there are many wonderful Texans. These nasty creeps are everywhere, and we need to dig them out and inform them that their deeds won't be tolerated. We should get sick on their shoes, too.

      Delete
  3. Ack! This is horrendous!! So awful!! I am crying now too!!
    Hugs
    SUeAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it made you cry, but sometimes we need some heartfelt salty bits to lube the way to action.

      Hugs right back at you, my SueAnn.

      Delete
  4. It so saddens me that people can still do things like this..publicly. I know there will always be a few sick individual around, but how pathetic does a horseman have to be to hunt a donkey??? You only need a carrot, they come to you! Hugs Magaly XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some arsehole, like Shelle would say, emailed me yesterday to say I was a hypocrite. "You eat meat," she said. Well, a lion would eat me, too, if I was on its way and it was hungry; it's nature. Roping and torturing a docile creature is not natural or human, it's just unforgivable.

      Delete
  5. I went ...I signed up...and I commented at CNN! XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! I hope more people do and the impact helps to put at end to this kind of things.

      Delete
  6. Oh, Magaly I hope a lot of people read this post and react with a vengeance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Robin. If all of us letter writers make enough educated and emotion-filled noise, maybe someone will listen ;-)

      Delete
  7. How horrible. I cannot bear to see animals hurt. I agree with Robin - hoefully your post will help put an end to this cruelty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's keep our fingers crossed, Francie!

      Delete
  8. *sniffs* It makes me cry unfailable, to see helpless beings suffer. No matter if they are of fur, scale or skin. I usually avoid posts and information about those kind of things, because they make me sick to my core for days. I know otoh that information is necessary.

    It was well meant, when my grandma told little-me: oh the branding doesn't hurt the cow/horse.

    Of course you don't want a little child (who instinctively knew, that this did hurt damn well) to cry, but I think some of the misconception about animals not suffering, comes from this well meant lies.

    If a child asks: does this hurt the animal? The only answer to it is: yes, they hurt and feel like you do. It is wrong to hurt them.
    Period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right with you in the avoiding the uglies department. Which is why I had to load this post with sarcasm, otherwise, I wouldn't be able to stomach it.

      There are so many people out there saying that animals don't feel the way we do. To them I say that just a couple of centuries ago, society thought that very dark people didn't hurt the rest the lighter ones did. I would have probably been branded if I lived then, and I assure those who used to think that way, that I hurt just as much as the donkey.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I think it is not possible to claim a high education and a place in history that should be enlightened as it never has been before, by knowledge and high tech, and still allow shit like this to happen.

      Btw, sorry, haven't seen, that I had my google account login, Sanna=Tana

      Delete
  9. I grew up around this stuff and it's never ceased to make me hate people even more than I already do. Two states, both deeply ingrained in this stuff. I've learned that while I know it's there and going on, the farther away from it I am, the better for my ulcers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe one day, our children's children's children will speak of this kind of abuse and get unbelievable glares from the kids because they will think daddy or mommy is making things up again. One can only dream... and hope.

      Delete
  10. I had to wait until today to comment on you wonderful blog. First and foremost you are, as you already know, an incredible wordsmith. Secondly, I love you so much. Third, I am so touched by your caring and the caring of those that have commented here. This mornings news is that the promoter has refused to stop the event, "it will cost me hundreds of thousands of dollars". I trust that Karma will take care of him but I'd like to add a hand right now. I feel badly for any offspring he has begotten....now that would be embarrassing to have to say, yeah that's my Dad, the one who pimps out poor animals to be abused, molested and killed. Go Jason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my heart... I didn't know, and now this hurts even more. I know what it is to be let down by someone who is supposed to protect us. I'm sorry if you had to share this bit of awful information. I wonder how he can live with himself, how he sleeps at night. I hope money makes a good pillow, and buys good company, too, for this kind of behavior tends to guarantee a straight path into solitude.

      Delete
  11. That poor donkey! I'm sorry, but that is abuse plain and simple. No creature should have to suffer such treatment.

    Here in AZ the rodeo is a huge event. In fact, the town I live in hosts the Oldest Continuous Rodeo. I for one am not a fan, however I have to say I have never seen livestock jerked around in such a horrendous manner as that poor steer, but then I don't attend very many rodeo events, nor do I watch it on TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is almost surreal to see how little life is to certain people. It makes me wonder what they are made of.

      Delete
  12. I had never heard of Donkey roping :( Awful, just awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first time, too, hence the sniffles. I just couldn't believe it.

      Delete
  13. i can't even THINK about *shit* like that...torture...cruelty...it makes me sick in the pit of my stomach. it makes me hurt.
    i never heard of THAT...
    i just can't understand what would make a person FEEL GOOD about doing that kind of thing...it's sick. they're sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people are just too strange, and very, very sickening.

      Delete
  14. I applaud your support of Oma Linda's cause, Magaly. I too support Oma Linda ....

    Humans who participate and promote this type of activity may be human, but they are certainly not humane.

    God bless the Humanes who are trying to put a stop to these horrid acts perpetrated by soul-less humans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people will never understand the meaning of the word humane. Some years ago, I adopted a golden retriever from a shelter. I named her Honey because of her coloring; she was the perfect little furry-girl. Loved to play and please. One day I came home in uniform, and when my dog saw my camouflaged clothes, she peed herself. When I tried to get near her to see what was bothering her, she began to shake now in her own feces.

      I didn't connected the uniform and the fear until the second time it happened. I went back to shelter to try to get the information of the worthless piece of garbage who brought her in, of course, they didn't tell me. And it was probably the best thing. I don't know what I would have done. The thought of what that person did to make her fear a uniform so much, had me thinking about the things I could do to him or her, just to see how they like it--not very civilized, I know, but some people have a power to evoke madness.

      Delete
  15. This makes my blood boil and my stomach churn! People who think it's okay to abuse and kill animals for fun is a sick fuck who needs to get tased and torn themselves.. I can't stand this kind of stupid and I would never even think about allowing my kid to watch something like that.. What kind of parent thinks it's okay?!?!

    p.s I wrote about AlmaMia on my blog. Hopefully that can help cheer you up darling. I hope I didn't do too bad with what I wrote =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people have the sense of a pile of shit and just as much compassion. I don't know how they sleep at night... I'm glad you don't exposed your children to things of that nature, no child should experience such evils.

      And yes, you've put a smile on my face ;-) I will go and read it in a bit!

      Delete
  16. I support Oma Linda all the way! Those poor donkeys being treated like nothing! I don't understand how someone would get entertainment out of this? Very stupid assholes! Makes me so angry! I just read Oma Linda's comment, that the promoter isn't stopping the event! Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! Karma will get him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you saw the latest post, where Oma Linda tells us that the event will be cancelled. Hooray! for the donkeys, the efforts of our favorite crone, and the smiles of Ry!

      Delete
  17. This is sick! I can not believe that this is some people's idea of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Did you read Oma Linda's post today??? The town called off the Donkey Roping Contest! Hip Hip Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! I did! I did! I was so happy that I screamed. So excited, at almost one in the morning, that I yelled, danced a bit, and then kissed my Piano Man, who happened to be brushing his teeth lol

      Delete
  19. Oh honey, I tried to block those images and read around them, but it was impossible. I cannot help but feel my heart break as tears well in my eyes. Last year both my sister, my kids and I sent individual letters to her county commissioner due to a post our beautiful Oma did on this very subject. What is wrong with people, Magaly? When will this horror ever end? I am off to see Linda's article on CNN. You are such a beautiful soul to use your large audience to get this word out. We will continue where we can. May we never give up hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to do the same thing, they are just too much to look at. Which makes me wonder how some people can experience the "show" in person and enjoy it--sickening.

      It seems things are moving towards better pastures. I hope they get greener.

      Delete
  20. Magaly,

    This stuff is so upsetting. Those poor poor animals. When I see stuff like this, it just makes me think that I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can't be tough, but we can't leave the planet to the nasties. We need to reclaim it and help those animals who can not help stand for themselves.

      Delete
  21. Humans can be so cruel and sick.

    ReplyDelete