Many Bloody Returns

“Me, I used the pentacle, because that was what I believed in. The five-pointed star, to me, represented the five elements of earth, air, water, fire, and spirit, bound within the solid circle of mortal will. I believed that magic was a force intended to be used to create, to protect, and to preserve. I believed that magic was a gift that had to be used responsibly and wisely - and that it especially had to be used against creatures like Drulinda, against literal, personified, evil, to protect those who couldn’t protect themselves. That was what I thought, and I’d spent my life acting in accordance with it. I believed.”

Harry Dresden is one of my favorite characters in Urban Fantasy. He is broke. Half the world is trying to kill him. His world fascinates me. So I was very excited when I finally got my hands on Many Bloody Returns. I liked all the stories in the anthology, but wise, good and—not so—old, Jim Butcher and charming Harry took the cake with “It’s My Birthday, Too.”

I enjoy the reality of Jim’s fantasy. I mean, go back and read that quote *waits for Wicked Darlings to reread the brilliant quote* Great, doesn’t he have a special way of bringing magic to life? He is freaking hilarious, too. I haven’t read many authors who can write characters that can effectively make a joke while someone is trying to kill them; Jim does it and he does it wonderfully.

If you have a chance pick up a copy of Many Bloody Returns. If the chance spreads grab one of Jim’s books and devour it’s yumminess. Then go ahead and click here to add your witchy thoughts, quotes... for the month of May ;-)
This drawing is not related to the short story or the anthology, 
but I think thegryph is brilliant and I wanted to show off the piece. 
And yes, you are right; it’s all about Jim’s eyebrow.  

Share |

25 comments:

  1. I haven't had a chance to read any of the Harry Dresden stories but I'm familiar with the character and I just think he's fantastic! Don't you just love when a character comes to life in your head? You should try Christopher Moore's novels - they're hilarious and very, very tongue-in-cheek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love characters that take fiction and make it real life, indeed.

      Guess what? Someone just sent me Christopher Moore's Lamb The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. I'm excited!

      Delete
    2. My favorite of his is "Fool" because I'm partial to Shakespeare, even in spoof form. :D

      Delete
  2. I'm not familiar with Harry Dresden; I will go check him out post haste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like it. He is hilarious. I love the way he portrays Faerie.

      Delete
  3. "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face"

    <3

    Sometimes I wonder if Butcher somehow tapped into an alternate reality or something deeper happening beneath the surface, his Dresden stories are so very Real. Have you also read any of Codex Alera?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fell in love with Jim's writing after reading Furies of Calderon. There is something extra cool about country living and elemental magic ;-)

      Delete
  4. Reminds me of the recent news story where someone actually tried to eat someone's face!! Yikes!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like the coolest high school senior photo ever lol.

    \IiiI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure I just cracked a rib laughing lol

      Delete
  6. This is my first encounter with the author and his works. As soon as you said, "country living and elemental magic" I was hooked :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a lot of country living in The Dresden Files, the series is set in Chicago. But I think you would go crazy over Codex Alera, it is delicious!

      Delete
  7. Will get his story by the e-reader...what a sexy pic...nice...hhhmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a sexy man, and his mind is even hotter--delicious!

      Delete
  8. He sounds like a magnificent writer, thank you for sharing!

    This may surprise you seeing I'm the Buddhist that I am, but I have a pentacle as well, that I wear now and then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite prayer beads come from a Buddhist friend ;-)

      Delete
  9. These are among the books I "will read; honest!"

    I've read one of the books from somewhere in the series... About book 8 or 9 I think? I don't even remember the title. I just remember thinking it was awesome and that I need to get the series and read them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is good. You want to read him. Often.

      Delete
  10. Jim Butcher is one of my favs (love Dresden and Codex Alera). The icing on the cake for Dresden, though, is to listen to the audio-books (excepting Ghost Story). James Marsters' diverse voice talents really bring Dresden and his world to life even more intensely. I especially love the way he interprets Toot-Toot. It's a scream! He's voiced all the novels and the short story anthology with the exception of Ghost Story (scheduling conflict). I can't listen to Ghost Story because of it. After living through Dresden's world and all the wildly various beings in it, John Glover's interpretation in Ghost Story falls as flat as roadkill on a dark summer night (and, IMO, is about as odoriferous). I'm hoping that James is able to voice the last few when Jim finishes them, I can't take another one by Mr. Glover.

    Sorry, didn't mean to turn this comment into a review, Magaly. I'm just REALLY passionate about my Dresden in all it's forms. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh please, review away! I, too, enjoy the voice of James Marsters. I devour everything in find in audio book. I love the way he sighs at the right moments, and how he laughs, it sounds like HE IS Harry, doesn't it?

      Delete
  11. You and my boyfriend both sing the praises of Jim Butcher. I really will have to read his stuff sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling you'll go nuts over Codex Alera. I'm pretty sure; yep, you'll love it.

      Delete
  12. I really need to check out Jim Butcher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim is a treat. I think you'll like it ;-)

      Delete