Hatred Breeds Best in the Soil of Ruined Dreams

A bit of a harsh title right after Beltane, huh? I think I’ll blame the choice on Soledad. I’ve been developing the last scenes of “AlmaMia Cienfuegos,” and the ways of my main character’s big sister seems to be leaking out of the page and touching things. AlmaMia and I have spent a lot of time trying to make sense of Soledad’s behavior, and Vanesa’s, too, but we haven’t gotten to the bottom of that obscure pot.

While the investigation goes on, I’ve been reading fiction that discusses family dynamics, siblings relationships and the seemingly unexplainable odium of one being towards another; in the case of The Book Thief, unfounded hatred aimed at a particular group. This novel twisted my heart and left it raw. I cried while I read it, a few times in front of people. This is a story of life and demise, narrated by Death.

The Witch’s Boy and Reckless are different. If I had to make a comparison, I would say that the style of these two novels resembles that of “The Haunting” and The Book Thief is closer to “AlmaMia Cienfuegos.” In the first group, social issues and internal struggles are analyzed in a realm of fantasy; in the second, things just are; life happens in the world as we know it, and sometimes it bleeds salty tears that burn the eyes. Other times… well, you’ll have to do a bit of reading to see what else real life can bring to the proudly wicked.

My Favorite Quotes from these 3 Reads
The Witch’s Boy by Michael Gruber
          “Hatred breeds best in the soil of ruined dreams.”

Reckless by Cornelia Funke
“The Fairy’s dress rustled as she turned. Human women dressed like flowers, layers of petals around a mortal, rotting core.”

The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
“For me, the sky was the color of Jews.”
“When Death tells a story, you really have to listen.”
What have you read, my Wicked Luvs? 
You can still join the Witchy Books Reading Challenge. Do you wanna?



Share |

16 comments:

  1. I love reading your narratives,the way you describe your work is wonderfully creepy "..leaking out of the page and touching things"...*shudders* :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am kind of into creepy, huh? Muahahahaha

      Delete
  2. I just finished book one of the Hunger Games...and I enjoyed it. Have started book two. Have to keep up with the Granddaughters. Ha
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and your granddaughters will have lots to talk about! Those books are loaded...

      Delete
  3. I have a "to read" list, but just now I haven't the time to commit to reading. I also love how you started this post with this line, "I’ve been developing the last scenes of “AlmaMia Cienfuegos,” and the ways of my main character’s big sister seems to be leaking out of the page and touching things." WOW!!! Creepy!!! But I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had your control, Jan. I keep on saying that'll stop reading so much, but I can't help it. I guess I'll just trust Stephen King and say reading is part of a writer's job (it makes me feel better).

      And Soledad has that effect on people. She is creepy and her uncanniness seems to be infectious... I'm glad you enjoy reading about it!

      Delete
  4. Beltane Blessings to you! I will be spending tomorrow through Monday afternoon in the DR, visiting my son (who lives outside of Santiago). I will wave hi for you!

    R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A wave? Woman! you need to bring me some sand, or a rock, or a mango or something lol.

      Have a blast, kiss the sun, dance with wind and tell my trees that I miss them so much!

      Delete
  5. I am starting The Phantom soon ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Searching google books for all three, need fresh authors and new fictional perspectives. My literary purview has gotten stale.
    If I can't afford all three, which one would you say is a must have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Book Thief. If I had to pick just one, I would definitely pick that one first.

      Delete
  7. I read a short story I found for free on Smashwords; it was called "The Silver Collar" and was about a werewolf who is treated as a cursed being and forced to wear a silver collar covered in cloth to stop her changes. It was a pretty good little story; interesting twist to the werewolf tales you usually hear.

    And, speaking of books; I'm hosting a giveaway this month; you have until May 31st to enter. Check it out here: http://ziglernews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/is-for-anouncement.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a terrible thing, poor woman. I will probably check it out. And, of course, I'll stop by and check out your giveaway.

      Delete
  8. The Book Thief... one of the best books ever! Although it is classified as "young adult" I believe I was 33 when I first read it and it had a very profound effect on me still. I saw a lot of myself (at that time in my life I'd just been through quite a bit of darkness) in the Frau Hermann character, which was kind of funny because "Herrman" is my (legal) last name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I was 35--I just read it--and i was crying like a child, and laughing at times. The book is alive and it is filled with some of themes I find most intriguing: books, death, prejudice, love and a young girl who kiss butt!

      Delete