Bright Blessings that Crawl Out of the Shadows

I will quote KimR to say that in AlmaMia’s story “we are introduced to the Cienfuegos family, under whose fractured veneer of civility and familial bonds lies a seething, roiling mass of conflict, abuse, jealousy, rage, and denial. At the center of the maelstrom is nine year old AlmaMia and a talisman bracelet.”

Yes, our little girl’s life is quite a mess. Vanesa and Soledad, AlmaMia’s mother and sister, have abused her mentally and psychologically. Her nights are plagued by nightmares that have found their way into her waking hours. Yet, AlmaMia is neither unhappy nor defeated. She has a talisman. I’m not referring to her charm bracelet, although that helps a lot. I’m talking about an even stronger protection, which comes from her grandmother.

To keep AlmaMia safe, Mamabuela gives up her family home and lands, her special connection with plants and the possibility of ever leading a normal life. The terrible ways of the mother and sister have pushed the grandmother and younger granddaughter closer together; sometimes the bright blessings just to crawl out of the shadows. 

The brightness that comes out of that sacrifice swallows any ugliness. AlmaMia is happier because she understands what that means. In fact, she got a bit defensive when I told her that I knew a grandmother who was as great as her Mamabuela. She glared and said some mean things, but after someone introduced her to Oma Linda, she agreed. She even wrote to the fiery crone to tell her that Grandmothers Are Magical Creatures.

To read AlmaMia’s letter to Oma Linda, stop by Olde Baggs ‘n Stuft Shirts.
 
Did you visit all the stops? If not, jump on the tour bus and join AlmaMia’s travels.


AlmaMia Cienfuegos’ Blog Stops
Day 1 – May 15th - Capturing a Moment in AlmaMia Cienfuegos’ Life - SunshineShelle
Day 2 - May 17th - Frogs, Books and Skulls – Miniature Witchy Book - Pagan Culture Weird, I know
Day 3 – May 19th - Truth in AlmaMia Cienfuegos’ Tale - Magic Love Crow
Day 4 – May 21st - AlmaMia Cienfuegos’ Wild Magic - Laura DeLuca  
Day 5 – May 23rd - Grandmothers Are Magical Creatures - Olde Baggs ‘n Stuft Shirts
Day 6 – May 25th - The Strong Women in AlmaMia Cienfuegos’ Life - Green Witch with Sprinkles  
Day 7 – May 27th - AlmaMia Cienfuegos’ Mango Tree - Daydream Believer

Hands image borrowed from FeeFee.

Share |

22 comments:

  1. CONGRATS!!!!! I'm so happy for you! It sounds like an awesome book; I'm adding it to my kindle for pc right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm all smiles that you are so excited about AlmaMia's short story. I think you will like her ;-)

      Delete
  2. Just stopping by to leave my vote for a Nook version. I would love to read this but Im a Nook girl, wah! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Pouting* I know, seriously unbecoming, but after revising Kindle publishing's fine print (KDP Select to be more specific) it seems I'll have to wait until August 13th to publish anywhere else. I'll continue researching... I've also bookmarked your blog and as soon as the short story is available for Nook, I'll stop by to let you know. Thanks for the vote ;-)

      Delete
  3. Just back from Oma's page...lovely tribute to her :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to be surrounded by amazing mamas *smiles at her tree*

      Delete
  4. I am reading the book and so far I am very much enjoying the opportunity of getting to know your characters! AlmaMia is strong and resourceful; resiliant and so hopeful. How can you not love her. Love all the characters in the story. And that is what is the best...a great story!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very happy you are enjoying it. And even more that you like the characters, wooohooo!

      Delete
  5. Loved it! I left a review on Amazon :)
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/AFCFVVHKQXCH2/ref=cm_pdp_rev_title_1?ie=UTF8&sort_by=MostRecentReview#R1B5QDRKZMPQ0C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, precious. It was a wonderful surprise ;-)

      Delete
  6. I just came from Miss Oma Linda's blog and loved the letter you translated for AlmaMia. Clever, lovely and solid. I need to add that one thing I love about AlmaMia is she does not apologize when she is not really sorry. That is such a wonderful trait to instill into a child. Too many people seem to apologize their lives away. And of course, I love and adore Miss Oma Linda myself. What a perfect compliment to both her and Mamabuela. Many warm hugs to you my sweet wicked love, Mina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm sure that when your time comes, you'll be one of the greatest--you already are. Hugs, my Mina!

      Delete
  7. Such a beautiful and inspiring write up. Very moving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just at Oma Linda's blog ;o) Beautiful and touching post ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Oma Linda has a way to reach into our hearts and touch the best bits, doesn't she?

      Delete
  9. Yes, Oma Linda is a Warrior Grandma! She fiercely protects her chicks from harm and surrounds them with love at all times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she does. And she does it with grace ;-)

      Delete
  10. I hopped over there and read the letter; love it! Very opinionated little miss, isn't she?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it. Sometimes, I just stare at her in disbelief...

      Delete
  11. I think there's something about 9 year olds being rather opinionated. Better be careful; some of them have nasty tempers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, and they tend to unleash it when you are least expecting it lol

      Delete