Yum!

I get fixated on words the way other people get fanatical about buying shoes, watching soaps and reality TV…

Last year, the object—word?—of my obsession was “anyhoo.” Yes, I know it isn’t a standard word. The dictionary defines it as an informal adverb, “a humorous alteration of the word anyhow.” People started adding anyhoos to their lingo in the late 1940s.

Anyhoo, this year, I’m in word-lust with “yum.” I can’t stop writing the tree-letter combination. Yum leaks into my texts, my blog posts, my emails… and guess what? It has also become an excellent way for me to tell when I’m interfering with my own storytelling.

You see, whenever my narrator or one of my characters says, “Yum!” I get suspicious. 13 times out of 13, my apprehension is justified. After light proofreading, I can see that it was me shoving words into the mouth of my tale, and that can really ruin my flow.  

Do you fixate on words or any elements related to your craft? 


I borrowed the yummy image from the rigneys. I wanted to grab the tasty treats, too, yum!

6 comments:

  1. Oh yes! If I get an idea in my head I have to run with it at the expense of everything else in my life....hence "The Lady of Shalott" overkill. Couldn't just wait til tomorrow and do a quick post, had to pick at every aspect to set up for friday, and show the build up of expectation. Didn't realise how OCD I was (cos I stereo-typed OCD sufferers with housework)until this years art challenges began lol...and I :D in my comments all the time :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gods! I sooo thought of you and "The Lady of Shalott" when I was writing this!

      And my OCD, too, is a bit choosy lol

      Delete
  2. It varies which word I'm obsessed with at any given time, but I do have an annoying habit of adding "anyway" in to things too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Word afflictions, can't kill them and communicate without them ;-)

      Delete
  3. I like the word Yum ;o) It can be used so many ways ;o)I don't think I personally fixate on any words, but I know if I am creating something I have to get it out of me. I won't be happy, until it's done. Like the 13 Goddesses Challenge, I know I have done like 15 so far. I think I will be continuing till the end of the year ;o) LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your fixations, they look sooo good.

      Delete