Wholesome Souls and Severed Limbs

We’ve all heard of good things gone bad,
                                    of bad things gone worse,
                  and of awful things that transmogrify into crap.
But every now and then, a crappy thing just excites the feisty muse.
                             Yesterday, I experienced the latter.

I was listening to essays for school, some of which existed somewhere between lame and burn-worthy, so of course I needed to do something to busy the side of my mind that kept on asking, Why am I reading this? The whiner side of my brain can be easily distracted with pretty colors and shifting shapes; I played with my blogs’ layouts while I listened.

My sidebar was the first to feel the effects of my boredom. I got rid of pictures, added this and that, tweaked titles and so on. I changed the header for my writing site widget from “sexy, dark and wicked” to “where dark fiction is born kicking, screaming and many times slashing.” A few minutes later, a Wicked Darling who keeps a watchful eye on my sidebar *sidebar grins smugly* emailed me to ask, “Is that the kind of message you want to promote?”

I shared part of the exchange on Facebook. Soon after my timeline got some attention, the same person messaged me with a string of insults so nasty that my mind couldn’t decide between feeling outrage or admiration—it ended up choosing neither.

However, witchy writer me understands that every bit of criticism should be examined. I followed that thought. After a close inspection, I noticed that between the swearing and the name-calling, the individual made some sense. She suggested that my “Luna story sucks because the character has no motivation and no soul.”

I should have pointed out to this watchful being that “The Haunting” is currently a very rough draft, but I didn’t do such thing. Instead, I used that time to work on editing Luna and Leo’s story.

I’m very happy to say that the beginning of the story is now established—I wasn’t completely thrilled with “Luna Bravo hunted flesheaters.” Also, I will start sharing the updates in a few days, for I don’t want to share the ending without completing some of the rewrites. The story is gaining muscle and bone, my Wicked Luvs, and I can’t wait to show it off!

Oh, before I forget, I’ve changed the header of my writing site widget. I wanted it to match my new tagline, which now reads, “Sexy, Dark and Bloody Fiction Sprinkled with Wholesome Souls and Severed Limbs.”
Bloody, fanged, grinning smiley borrowed from SuperFicie

28 comments:

  1. Love it! I am sorry that you have to have a person who says they are a friend, but then attack you in such a vicious way. Does she not know who she is dealing with, and us other Wicked Luvs who will jump to your defense? SMDH You keep being you, and keep being bloody and sexy. I, for one, as a sister of the deeper flesh, adore you for every word and moment.

    \IiiI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And with your guts by my side, I know I can take on anything and anyone ;-D

      Delete
  2. Everyone is a "wanna be" critic, Magaly! Your the one with this fabulous talent for creating such creepy, and scarey tales!!! Blood, sex, supernatural...it's your thing and you do it very well. I'm a big fan of yours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mm, Jan, I can't wait to share some of my Magical Realist Fiction with you. Your art makes me thin of the style.

      Delete
  3. Criticism is one thing, being an obnoxious twat will delivering same is another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If the critic spent more time reading what you post, and less time worrying about the titles of your sidebar widgets, then the person would know your story is still a very rough draft.


    Critisizing is all well and good, but do people really have to pick at every little thing? What does it matter what you call your widgets? They're your widgets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Critics: can't kill them, can't keep the mean ones from being nasty.

      Maybe she's part of the widget police? ;-)

      Delete
  5. Wow, why do so many feel it is okay to speak that way?! It's a big, huge world we live on...and we are not clones...we will disagree. Do we have to be nasty about it, though?

    Good for you to take it as an opportunity to turn it into a enrichment exercise....making your story more to your liking :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we spent too much time suffering the things certain people say or think of us, we would lead a very limited life. So, I'll just write on.

      Delete
  6. Ugh.
    This is why I no longer have facebook.
    But you know what they say.
    "From the mouth of inarticulate douche bags springs relatively topical literary criticism every once in a great while."
    People say that.
    Right?
    Well I just did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, people must say it because you just did ;-)

      Delete
  7. Sorry that someone felt the need to be so rude and hateful to you. That same person would probably never have the guts to say such things directly to your face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked her to leave the message under the story, so that others could respond, too. She didn't reply after that.

      Delete
  8. Personally, I loved the title: “where dark fiction is born kicking, screaming and many times slashing.” To each their own, I suppose.

    Sorry to hear you had to deal with major drama over such a small matter. Constructive criticism is one thing, asshattery is a whole other matter. Arguing on the internet and cyber tantrums are "like masturbating with a cheese grater. Mildly amusing, but mostly painful" (Thanks to the Diceman for the above quote that I totally bastardized).

    Whatever you wish to title your widgets or works is fine, fabulous, and fair. It's your stuff after all. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. pfft! I don't log on for one day and look what happens! Going for a nosey round to see what happened while I was out. Love the look of both your blogs, and well done you for turning all that negativity into positive energy, your new story is awesome and Luna seems pretty real to me. Can't think what this silly person was complaining about? :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You see, that's the reason why you can't be gone. You'll miss the craziness ;-)

      Delete
  10. Magaly, you have talent, you have flare, you are you! You are what makes me come back here day after day! I love everything you do!!! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made me smile a ginormous smile ;-D

      Delete
  11. Is this person a writer? Does this person know how to read? Has this person missed the whole point? Those of us who do read your writing clearly understood that not only was it a draft, but that you’re developing the characters and the story as you go. You are sharing the process with us and we are happy to be a part of it. As a matter-of-fact, I’ve been enjoying it and looking forward to the next scene.

    Right now, I feel like scratching the B----. What was said wasn’t criticism, it was hate-ing. Not nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people tend to see words without reading them. Or have the tendency of reading the crap, which they keep in their heads, instead of what's written. My nails get itchy, when I think about them, too.

      Delete
  12. Oh Magaly, I am truly appalled! You are such a strong woman to turn this around. I am not believing that someone had the audacity to first, question your creative flare and then turn to insults and cursing. Luna has no motivation or soul? (Someone is looking in the mirror!)

    If her delicate mind was so harmed by your wicked promotion of blood and guts, perhaps she should stick with Disney or Pixar because the rest of us obviously read your delicious blog which includes such gorey tales because WE LIKE IT JUST AS IT IS.

    You are a talent to be reckoned with and the rest of us Wicked Darlings want more of your dark fiction which is "born kicking, screaming and many times slashing". Bring it on, my lovely friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. and while this person is criticizing you, I'm sitting here wishing (every time I read your snippets) that I could write the way you do! Give 'em hell, Magaly... in the best sense of the word ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. ((me...trying to get caught up...i'll be back to read more, but this is my first stop!

    it hurts to get criticized. and some people know how to do it tactfully...and others just ram it down your throat. they just open their mouths...and don't think before they speak...or text. don't care if they hurt. after all...who is she? it's YOUR story. is she an editor, or what? i don't think so!
    WELL...she came at you the wrong way. BUT she made you think. and with your thinking...decided to make some changes.

    as long as you're happy with what you've created...
    i KNOW I LOVE IT!!!

    hey...loving the little blood SPLAT!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, Mina and all my other wicked lovelies make it all worth my while ;-)

      Delete