...Slow and Drunk Is No Match for Fast and Scared Sh*tless

The title of this post is a quote from Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Childrenby Ransom Riggs. I chose that quote because, well, it made me roar. But don’t let the quirky words fool you; this novel is uncanny fertilizer for imagination and thrill.

Kelley Armstrong’s The Darkest Powers Trilogy is a different kind of exciting. Visualize being fifteen-years-old, and having the ability to push dead souls back into their rotting corpses… spine-chilling, especially when you are on the run with a witchy drama queen, a broody werewolf and his brother, a charming sorcerer.

Oh, and you are being hunted down by a team of mad scientists with superpowers, guns, and no conscience—yep, pure fun. I read the books in three days and loved the experience. This quote, from the last book in the trilogy, is my favorite:
“‘I’m sorry about our mom,” I said.

A short, bitter laugh. ‘Why? She was an evil, murdering bitch.’

“But she was your evil, murdering bitch.’”

More Quotes from My April Reads

The Time Paradox by Eoin Colfer
“I am the future queen of this world, at the very least. You may refer to me as
Mistress Kaboi for the next five minutes. After that you may refer to me as Aaaaarrrrgh, hold your throat, die screaming, and so on.” Opal Kaboi might be evil, but you need to admit she’s freaking hilarious.

The Atlantic Complex by Eoin Colfer
“Can we please focus? We are supposed to be professionals.” Holly said.

“Not me!” said Orion cheerily, “I’m just a Teenager with hormones running wild and may I say, young fairy lady, they’re running wild in your direction.” This is funny all by itself, but if you know the character who is uttering the second lines, then you are probably laughing hysterically.

Odd and the Frost Giant by Neil Gaiman
“The wise man knows when to keep silent. Only the fool tells all he knows.” Says the god who a couple of books ago sang of grandpa puncturing the tips of condoms ;-)

What have you read these first weeks of spring, my Wicked Luvs?
Yep, a little girl bent backwards, looking at the world  from  between her  legs, while still standing up, is a good description of
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

8 comments:

  1. Lol, I so love reading your take on books, I will have to start reading again :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! It will be nice to read about the words you consume, too ;-)

      Delete
  2. Oh let's see...I have a copy of Vampyre Magick I'm about halftway through and The Goblin Rebellion, After the Fog was an interesting book. I've got a never ending TBR list...I'm not sure what's next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Goblin Rebellion sounds yummy.

      Delete
  3. This book sounds so cool Magaly! What have I been reading, all of your blog posts and I have loved everyone one of them ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've mostly been re-reading Terry Pratchett books, with a few new ones among the ones I'm reading (new to me, I mean). Also plenty of children's fairytales. Ah, you've seen my recent reviews...

    I also read (and loved) the books I won from your giveaway; the ones by Zoe Winters! I can't wait for the next one to be out!

    ReplyDelete