Mythica Stones Museum in Pre-Chaos, New York

On June 29th, 1982, the Mythica Stones changed the world. The appearance of the differently shaped and sized, black, green and white stones wasn’t gradual. One moment, nature looked as it always had; the next, the surface of vegetation, soil and rock was bejeweled. Mythica Stones felt slick to the touch, but their textures went from smoother than pearl to rougher than pumice.

At first, people dug them out and cut them off tree bark. The violation didn’t last long, for just milliseconds after being forced from their chosen place, the stones faded. And worse, the area or tree that had housed the stone, decayed right after separation.

The effects of the stones were first evident on babies. Some of the children born after the event looked different; most had white, black or green eyes that matched the color of their hair, except a few who were born with multicolored hair and very dark brown eyes.

For five years the eyes and the hair was as exciting as it got. Then, on the day the world remembers as Preternatural Chaos, things changed forever.  

Children were ahead of the rest of the population, again. The first notable case happened on the last Monday of June, 1987, in Los Lunas, New Mexico. After spending hours shrieking and pulling on his grandmother’s skirt, a white-haired five-year-old boy, who had been diagnosed with a cognitive disability, spread his arms, froze his relatives in place, and encircled the family home in a shimmering bubble that scorched the skin of anyone who touched it from the outside.

The boy held the circle until his nose and eyes began to bleed. Two gunshots were fired the moment the circle collapsed, but no one was hurt. For faster than most eyes could follow, the boy’s older sister had ran across the street, and returned home. The grandmother remembers the girl dropping a rifle on the floor and saying to her brother, “You were right, sorry I didn’t listen. But she can’t hurt us now.” The girl had been holding the rifle with locks of her living hair, which had grown all the way to her ankles.  

The Los Lunas Police found the woman who fired the rifle sitting behind an old tree that faced the boy and girl’s house. Her eyes had been unfocused and she didn’t say a word, but the picture of the kids she clutched in her hands, and the two bullet casings next to her, told the police all they needed to know.       

When that incident took place, the world didn’t know that the boy was a witch or that his sister’s speed, and ability to enthrall others with her dark eyes, mimicked that of a Caribbean mythical creature called ciguapa.

Today, the case of the witch boy and the ciguapa girl, as well as all other instances of myth becoming reality, is world history that can be researched online. But if you are anything like me, you might get extra enjoyment from the look, scent and feel of a museum. That is the reason why I’m going to visit Pre-Chaos, New York, and stay there for a week. I have many questions about Luna’s world, and as much as I trust the witch, there are some things I would rather pull out of a flesheater’s mouth.

Don’t worry about my safety, my Wicked Darlings, I have pen and paper at the ready. Okay, laptop and fingertips, but that’s not the point. What matters is that if something scares me, I won’t hesitate to write a big gun and shoot its face off.

If you have any questions for anyone you’ve met through “The Haunting,” leave it here as a comment and I’ll relate your inquiry. Read you in eight days!    
Ciguapa:
“a supernatural female being living in the deepest mountain regions of the Dominican Republic.” To learn more about them, click on the image, which I borrowed from The Phoenenixian Book of Creatures.

22 comments:

  1. Wow! Loving this literary fore-play :D
    I'd like to ask Leo's parents why they are so negative towards his older brother?
    Enjoy the museum :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fore-word touching is my favorite ;-)

      Leo's parents weren't available for questions, but Luna says that all will be revealed soon.

      Delete
  2. I have no questions...I just want more, Magaly! I want to read on...turn another page :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make me want to write it sooner...

      Delete
  3. I want to ask Ele and Eme (Ele especially, since she seems the most opinionated and has a "I know something you don't know" feeling about her even more so than Eme does) to tell me what they know. Those crows are still torturing me with their mystery!

    Anyway, have fun! :)

    O, and YAY about the 10th of May... I look forward to it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very tempted not to say anything, but Ele was gloating... I just gave up after a while. Eme told me to pay her no mind, she's always like that.

      I'm excited about the 10th, too!

      Delete
  4. Los Lunas, New Mexico huh? Great pick. This is a great teaser...more please. I am hooked. Love it. Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a great name for a place, I might have to visit some day.

      Delete
  5. Have a great visit Magaly ;o) I loved reading about the Ciguapa! Very interesting. I can't wait to read what you write about when you come back. I want to know more about the crows!!!! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your trip! Also, why do different creatures/abilities manifest in the same family? What is the trigger? Is it possible for a person who manifest no change, to force the issue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a very interesting time. And I found that mythical abilities are just like personalities, as unique as people. Mythical powers claim souls that feel like home.

      Delete
  7. Yeah, I need to go read more on the ciguapa. Have a blessed trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed the back story. Can't wait to learn more about the Mythica Stones. I wonder if Gaia decided to change her landscape and bring magick back to the world. Nice - that you started with the children. Evolution always manifests with the offspring. Tell us more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe she decided the world needed a little bling? lol

      Delete
  9. hi honey! Hope you are well. I enjoyed this story. Lately, I have had a curiosity about stones and reading up on them. I love your writing style, you keep me on the edge of my seat. Blessings to you. Renee

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the characters & emerged myself in the story - questions? You check if friend or foe before shooting... right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to Luna, when people (or whatever else) are shooting at her, she just shoots back. She prays that the ones trying to pierce her epidermis are not friends because most of her friends are great shots and friendly bullets will leave a witch just as dead *sigh*

      Delete
  11. Oh Magaly, what an enticing bit of story! I was enraptured during this entire post and realized at some point that I had lost the line of reality and story (though we both know how thin that line is) and had to remind myself this was not the account of an actual tale - or was it? ;-) Many hugs to you, brilliant author.

    ReplyDelete