Coffee that Darwin Loves, and Theologians Fear

Every once in a while, I read a book that makes me think, laugh and nod with every turn of the page. I’m usually the one who picks out such book, but with The Feedstore Chronicles, I must thank Debra from She Who Seeks for the adventure.

Travis Erwin’s book is adventure about life, laughter, livestock and of Snuggles, too. The latter is a pooch that proves nature can have the nastiest sense of humor.

Its comicality is not the only reason why I like The Feedstore Chronicles so much—the endless sacks of laughter did help me enjoy it, though. However,Travis Erwin won me over because his words took me to a world I would have never experienced otherwise. And you know what? I had a blast while I explored his bit of Texas. I delight in fiction that makes my belly hurt with laughter. And when the storytelling is weaved with reality, I just love the result.   

Here are a couple of quotes that made me look like a happy fool, in the train, because I couldn’t stop roaring while reading (say the last 3 words 13 times fast):  

“Pearls was the redneck equivalent of Starbucks. However, our coffee was the kind of dark, smelly fare that only men would drink, and I’m pretty sure they only drank it to prove the potency of their testosterone. I’m talking about the kind of coffee that makes a person growl after every swallow. The kind of coffee that grows gills when left on overnight. Or sprouts legs over a long weekend. The kind of coffee that Darwin loves, and theologians fear. Never mind putting hair on your chest, the feedstore java put hair on your tongue.” Evolutionism, caffeine and creationism, what’s not to love?
I borrowed this lovely coffee monster from I See .JPEGS Animate.
And there is philosophy, too; for “Confucius say, man with hole in pocket, feel cocky.” Suffice to say, Doyles’s pockets were holier than Billy Graham and Mother Teresa combined. Doyle didn’t simply feel cocky, he had a stranglehold on cocky. He grabbed it with both hands, stroked it, and shouted, “Danger! I piss on thee.” Doyle is one of those archetypal characters I love to hate, and will never forget. Travis, the main character in the tale, is lively, honest, and witty, and owns a heart that barely fits in his overgrown young adult frame. Grab a copy; you might just enjoy it as much as I did.

Care to share a title that surprised you in the best of ways, my Wicked Luv

And not that I think you would forget, but here it is anyway. 
Give our good old Earth Mother an extra tight hug, 
today, and tomorrow, and after that, too.
Borrowed from SeaWayBlog

17 comments:

  1. I did give her an extra hug...I created a new compost bin!! Woot!!
    Hugs
    SUeAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I bet she's smiling a ginormous smile on you ;-)

      Delete
  2. Hahahaa....:D Fabulous quotes :D *hugs and smooches the great mother* XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very down to earth book--hehehehe.

      Delete
  3. I recently read this also. I loved it. I enjoy small-town stories, having grown up in one much much smaller than Travis' Amarillo. I've hung out at more than my share of small-town Texas feed stores. Travis is dead on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, William. There is something so natural about the behavior of small towns feed-stores that reading about someone else's reminds you of your own. I was taken back to the drama surrounding the market in my beloved Dominican Republic.

      Delete
  4. Interesting book; I love the quote about the coffee!


    The only book on my mind today is "Mr. Pumpkin-Head And Other Poems" and who is the author? Me! I now have a published e-book, and can say, "go here and buy my book!" Which is exciting, and feels totally awesome to say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tori, you are too much ;-)

      Just wait, come May 10th, you and I can have long conversations about "go here and buy my book!" link placing lol

      Delete
  5. Thanks Magaly for the great review. I'm glad you enjoyed and you also William. I had a lot of fun writing the book but not quite as much fun as I did working at that joint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was extremely awesome to read. It reminded me of home--I grew up in the country in the Dominican Republic. The issues were different, but the feelings are the same; you took me back there and I appreciate that to no end.

      I can only imagine how fun it was to write. I bet you were caught, more than once, laughing all by yourself ;-)

      Delete
  6. I love your froggy hugging the earth ;o) The book sounds hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was taken by the expression on her face, and the book IS a hoot!

      Delete
  7. That book sounds hilarious. Love love the quote, "Doyle didn’t simply feel cocky, he had a stranglehold on cocky. He grabbed it with both hands, stroked it, and shouted, “Danger! I piss on thee.”

    Your frog hugging the earth is so precious and your message a beautiful one. May you receive as many hugs as you wished for Mother Earth. (Here is a hug from me) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doyle kept me giggling and shaking my head.

      Delete
  8. This made me think of a book I read awhile back, that I haven't read since (because my cousin trashed it and never replaced it like she promised... argh!)... it was "The Good Fairies of New York" and so help me I forgot the author's name, but it was full of moments like these, absurd and witty and ridiculously thought-provoking. I think you would overly enjoy it, Magaly.

    Speaking of Earth Day, I discovered some genuine Scottish thistles outside my bathroom door here, 3 of them to be exact. I'm trying to figure out how to take them with me when we move... :D

    Also, I'm reading another couple of books right now, the first two in a series - because I don't have the third, sigh - by Anne Mccafferey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough. It's a space-age Gaia story replete with Irish mythos, Inuit souls, witches (of a sci-fi sort) telepathic dogs and cats, and unicorns. Oh, and a selkie. Mccaffery is one of my favorite authors... anyways, it reminded me of you and I thought I'd recommend it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and of course I didn't actually include the name of the books before I hit publish, did I!? That happens when you have a nine-mo-old trying to add her two cents in by attacking the keyboard. She knows it does stuff to the screen and wants to try.

      The books are Powers that Be, Power Lines, and the third that I don't have is Power Play. By Mccaffery and Scarborough. :)

      Delete
    2. Oh Fox and Dragon, I haven't read any Anne McCaffrey since I finished the Arcona Series who knows when. Now I need to read her some more, you reminded me how much I like her fantasy.

      Delete