Where Has the Fiction Gone!

At the end of February, I decided to dote on all my fiction darlings. And you know what, my Luvs? During the editing, changing and rewriting process I noticed that my writing has evolved, and I LOVE how it has morphed ;-)

When my affair with words began, I experimented with everything in fiction: real Witches, fantastical witches, death as part of the circle of life, stereotypes, the absurdity surrounding certain myths and beliefs about witches, the treatment of minority groups, philosophy of religion, unicorns and pink silk (don’t ask), sexy, dark and bloody things… and yes, the list went on and on.

These last couple of years examining fiction through student-colored glasses helped me gain much needed focus. Now, my stories roam around three specific motifs:
     1. Real Witches in Fiction (RWF)
     2. Marginalized Groups in Fiction (MGF)
     3. Sexy, Dark and Bloody Fiction (SDBF)

Each theme seems to like a different style: RWF prefers the good old dark magical realist touch, MGF enjoys sips of dark magical realist satire, SDBF wants to kick ass through the dark urban fantasy subgenre, and Witchy Writer Me (WWM) is kind of obsessed with acronyms and lists.

Why am I telling you all this? Because,
     1. I love sharing happy things.
     2. I’m going to pull some of my tales out of Pagan Culture (for massive rewrites).
     3. I needed this post to explain #2. I just would hate for you to click on a link, find the story missing and start screaming, “Where has the fiction gone!” as you pull your hair out and tears and snot roll down your flushed cheeks. Not a pretty sight; and all that scalp torture might hurt too much.
I couldn't find an owner for this adorable wailing beauty.
If the shot is yours, please let me know. 
In the future, my blog will have links that will open to the following message:

I’m editing, changing, exploring, rewriting, expanding or doing all of the former to the tale that used to live here. Once I’m done, I’ll add a link to the renewed story. Please read “Where Has the Fiction Gone!” for details. 

Something else, after the Sexy, Dark & Bloody Fiction Party, I will publish my stories at my writing site. You should stop by and check it out; there is a contest going on and everything *wink, wink, wink*

Has your art, work or interests changed since you started sharing it with others? If so, how has the evolution affected the way you present your results?

P.S. If you are wondering where all the things on my sidebar went, click on Links and Other Bits and keep on clicking, my Luvs. I went reorganization-crazy the other day, and not even Magaly’s Blog Circle survived.

P.P.S. That’s what happens when I can’t sleep… because my crippled hip and shoulder decide to throb in the middle of the night… and at the exact same time the Universe chooses to remind me that being hot, female and amazing is a luxury I must pay in blood.

P.P.P.S. TMI is another result of MC… long posts are too… and fiction in which everybody but a tiny woman with a vicious look on her face, dies in the most gruesome of ways *grins viciously*.

Um… how has all this rambling affected your initial comment?

Here are some lovely spring pictures my Piano Man has sent me these last few days. My goodness, I adore my man. And the camera feature on his iPhone… I’m rambling again *sigh*
The trees are dressing in pink

Spring? Um, yeah!

Blossoms in New York ;-)

25 comments:

  1. I guess "spring clean" definitely hit here lol :D I find I have become much more confident about "being me" since I started sharing in blogland. People are fast becoming aware that I am more than "the nice one".I like being the nice one, but couldn't stand people interpreting this as a weakness. I am strong, I have opinions, and if they don't like them they shouldn't ask. (and I didn't realise how much I enjoy the darkerside of fiction) :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A strong woman who enjoys the darker side of fiction. I might have to have you over ;-)

      Delete
  2. The pics are wonderful! Hopping over to your writing site! Hugs,Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magaly,Wicked Darling, I can't seem to find the comment link on your writing site.Is it hidden in the red somewhere? Did I just not have enough coffee yet? lol!Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not you, it's Blogger. My well researched-and absolutely not emotional opinion--is that Blogger hates me. Yep. Simple. Sorry. My template is acting up and not showing the comment box on the main page. I'll play around with it until I can figure something out.

      For now, click on the title and scroll down to the end of the post.

      Delete
  4. Can you send the Spring Cleaning Goddess to my own blog (and then to my house) please? I was just looking at all the STUFF I have piled up on the sidebar, the tiny font that I can barely read myself (and wondering how to fix that within the template - ho hum), etc...just yesterday.

    Wow, only one cup of coffee and I'm already long-winded...but sooo thankful to have all of you to "escape to" when the new husband is being a total JERK. Ahhh (contented sigh) - Apologies for the whining...this marriage isn't gonna last to 6 months I'm quite sure.

    Anyway...I'm off to check out your writing site! Wihooo!! Love and hugs, Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magaly! WOW, I LOVE the writing site and the story of Jeff and Leo is simply amazing! How is it that you can put SO MUCH content into so few words yet it doesn't feel "rushed" or like reading a biography? (Bit of a jealous smirk there).

      I didn't see a way to comment on the post "Being a Drake". The ideas are flowing while the grinning commences ;)

      Delete
    2. The font is an easy fix, but you already know that. Just play around with the html. The husband issues, well, that's a bit more difficult...

      I'm glad you liked the beginning of "Being a Drake." I'm not sure if that will remain its title, but it sounded right at the time. Yay, grinning!

      Delete
  5. Wow!!! You have been busy, Magaly! I love the photos!!! One change for me is that I am more open about who I am, and my interests :) My blog will be showing more of this...

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this pattern. It seems that for many of us being able to speak about certain things have made us more comfy about showing our inner selves to others. I can't wait to see this at your blog. In colors!

      Delete
  6. Love the photos of spring in NY. Spring hasn't really hit here yet!!
    My work has evolved too! More earthy...less blingy...and a lot more photography...especially altered photos!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the earthy changes, and I'm been enjoying the way you love pictures, too.

      Delete
  7. My writing has changed a lot since I first started; since I was 7 when I first started writing though, I'm thinking that's a very good thing. ;)

    I'll look at your writing site tomorrow; I was going to tonight, but I've just had an hour long conversation with a 2 year old, and now I need to finish the blog catch up before I get too tired to do so, and then I need to finish the dishes, and... Well, you get the idea. I will come look though!

    I have that same issue, and since I don't sleep all that great most of the time anyway... Well, it's not pretty! I have times when that situation will put me in a position where I could go a few days without any sleep at all. My mind goes to some strange places (well, stranger places than it usually does) when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on my way to your blog to see what the conversation with the 2-year-old was about. I just know it had to be an intense hour ;-)

      And I like the strange and stranger places in your mind goes to!

      Delete
  8. I hate you. DAMN it that's not true! I'm just jealous. I love the way you write! I'm going to channel you when it's time to write my autobiography. Or hire you. Which ever. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello my friend ;o) I joined your new blog ;o) How exciting ;o) I feel my art has changed drastically! I feel I am taking more risks and I really truly feel, that has to do with everyone I am meeting in blog land. They are challenging me and thanks to everyone, I am growing ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following, sweets.

      I must say that I feel kind of honored because I have seen your change happen, and my goodness it is a wonderful thing to witness. You've gone from a bud to an amazing flower and I love everything about it.

      Delete
  10. I love the blossoms! Yay!

    But what’s up with the 30 degree weather today?! Not happy! I had to wear my coat.

    What I suspect happened is that there is some domestic upheaval going on in the Universe and the Goddess is giving the God the cold shoulder. Unfortunately, we’re paying for it.

    Since I started blogging I’ve shared a teeny tiny almost microscopic little bit more of myself than I did before. I’ve experienced joy and exhilaration every time I get a comment or meet a new follower. There are times when I go crazy trying to figure out what I’m going to blog about. But I’ve found blogging more fulfilling than logging into Facebook and reading silly status updates. Because I don’t care if "Mary ate a donut and liked it".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me started about this freaking cold. I was freezing while I waited for the bus. The God better get his act straight and warm up the Goddess because, seriously, this is ridiculous!

      And when it comes to Facebook, I feel it is nice garnish, but the meat and potatoes--or rice and beans in my my case ;-)--is what I'm interested in. I'm very happy "Mary ate a donut and liked it" but I'm really interested in knowing is why did she liked it? How did it make her feel? Was the pastry served by zombies? You know? that kind of stuff ;-)

      Delete
  11. TMI - you know what? Why do we women have to pretend we don't menstrate? I mean, there's an entire wall at Wal-Mart dedicated to it, obviously it happens. Although I always tell Chris I miss the good old days when men thought it was evil and women had to go spend the week in a hut together. Yeah, we gave up something sweet when we decided that was unfair. HELLO - a week off and no man pissing you off while cramping. ;)

    As for changes...hmmmm, well my blog went from being whatever I felt like writing about, to being almost exclusively book reviews. And I'm loving every minute of it. All the indie authors out there whose writing is sublime. It's all good. Oh and I adore the crows I have on my page from MagicLoveCrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Or pretending that we don't pee. Seriously, we all do and it's fine.

      I love your reviews and I can feel how much you enjoy the reading and examining. And Stacy's crows? Yum!

      Delete
  12. [I tried to reply to your reply but it wouldn't work. Here's my response.]

    I would prefer it if the sexy living vampire from next door baked the donut because he wants to win her over. But she doesn’t really notice because she’s involved with a luscious incubus who is currently in a 12 step program through Sex Addicts Anonymous (SAA).

    ReplyDelete