Sexy, Dark and Bloody People Come First

For me, people always come first. And no, they aren’t always dark or bloody, but bloody darkness seemed like a cool dress for the title of this post.

I’m all happy cackles because someone whose opinion I value a whole lot critiqued one of my stories and loved it. I’m submitting the tale right after I’m done with a bit of rewriting. The same person said, “Your characters jump out of the stories, and usually screaming. I bet they talk to you before you know anything about their lives.”

I grinned, nodded like a loon and yelled, “Yes! Yes! Yes!” at my laptop. My characters always arrive before their conflicts. In the case of “Being a Drake,” I saw two people who loved each other so much that they wanted to know what the world tasted like in the other’s mouth. I remember closing my eyes, letting the sound of a train lull me into plotting land, and thinking, I, too, want to taste their story.

The backstory snippet I shared for the contest says a bit about Jeff and Leo Drake, but I didn’t tell you about the third, and most likely, main character of the story. Now she wants to introduce herself:
“Hi, my name is Wendi Temperance, but please call me Tempe. I don’t want to be confused with the woman who gave birth to me; her first name was Wendi, too, and she died of a severe case of mallet to the face when I was seven. Can’t wait to get to know everyone better.”

Um... well, nice to meet you, um... Tempe. I guess the title of the post might fit after all.

***
Have you entered the “Being a Drake” contest yet? If not, do give a go, my Luvs. You could win a $13 Amazon gift card and help me write the story of Tempe, Jeff and Leo.

What comes first when you write, character or conflict?

As a reader, what would you like best, a story where Tempe and the Drake boys make snap decisions as they roll with the action? Or one where you get to experience the decision-making process with the trio?

Oh, one of the main characters for the Sexy, Dark and Bloody Fiction party, at my personal blog, was inspired by SunshineShelle’s “The Haunting.” The ACEO now belongs to Stacy from Magic Love Crow. *Shhh, don’t tell them, but do join the party*
The Haunting by SunshineShelle

23 comments:

  1. The decision making process gets my vote. Jeff seems to like planning ahead (arranging his schedule to be there for his brother, when he was young), too soon to tell how Tempe makes her decisions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff sounds like the kind of guy who takes his time to do things, so they can be right. And Tempe, well, she's Tempe.

      Delete
  2. Definitely the decision making process. And usually the character comes to me (at least partially) before the conflict. Though there have been exceptions to the general rule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. My stories usually have to have a face before the world becomes visible.

      Delete
  3. Um... Nice to meet you, Tempe.

    I think you should let your story decide which way it should be written. However, I like seeing how minds work, so if the story is happy to explain, then please do so! :)

    As for me, sometimes I have characters first, sometimes plot first, sometimes both will jump in to my head at once. With the three stories I'm writing for your blog party it was characters first though. Yep, it's three stories I've settled on. Partially because that's what I know I can get finished in time, partially because I like the number three (it's magical, and lots of things happen in threes - especially in children's stories), and partially because I thought with it being your third bloggerversary it would be appropriate. I'm publishing them on the 11th, 12th, and 13th of April, and will send you the links when they're up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, stories should be allowed to grow naturally.

      I can't wait to read the trio you wrote for the party!

      Delete
  4. Squee! I'm hungry for more of the story! I can't wait to read more.... oh and welcome Tempe; I'm sure you will be a tasty addition to this sexy, dark, and bloody mix :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope a month is not too long to wait for their story, in the meantime you can enjoy the Luna Bravo's story. She will be the star of the Sexy, Dark and Bloody Fiction party. I think you'll like her ;-)

      Delete
  5. I think I missed one of your posts! I have to go back. I am behind in blog land! Personally, I would like a story, where snap decisions are made ;o) I love that aceo ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a good combination of both. I like exposition were I learn about the characters, and I like to see action when things get difficult. And sometimes, I love to see things slow down enough that I can see their brains working as they figure out what to do.

      Delete
  6. Sometimes the character shows itself first, like in the case of Mia Kiehls. Other times, a scene will unfold in my mind and I take it from there.

    In the case of “Being a Drake”, it would be nice to see the decision making process sprinkled with some snap decisions along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Balance is rarely too much ;-)

      Delete
  7. Hey I got the comments to work, yipeeeee! Going over to join the party right now! Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite excited too! It forced me to reload the template, but that's okay. I'm just glad it's working ;-)

      Delete
  8. Oh yeah, forgot to say I do like experiencing the decision making process, I like getting into the characters heads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think looking into these guys heads will be a treat.

      Delete
  9. The decision making process and then I want to be there for the follow through. There's so many different ways a decision could go, even a snap decision has some thinking time behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shhh, I'm sneaking in quietly so that Tempe doesn't hear me and come for me too...(quieter whisper) she sounds amaaazzzinnngg Magaly!)

    In this story, I'd like to see more snap decisions than be part of the decision making process. I'm not an experienced writer but to answer as others have above...I can say that (in my mind) stories come BOTH from characters I think up to the "plots" they will follow. I ssshhh should write them down more often. (whispering even quieter now...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the wayyy (still whispering) I LOVE the drawing by SunshineShelle - amaaaazzzinnnggg.

      Delete
    2. I think Tempe heard you and liked it ;-)

      And Shelle has a way with emotions, doesn't she?

      Delete
  11. I love the decision making BUT if they do something different to what I decided they should, well, I can get cranky with those dudes LOL... I am also thinking, I am a bit of a snap decision fan too, like maybe like the person who swung that mallet LOL - roll with the action... OK how about YOU Tempe do all that hard decision making & I'll jump on the Tempe & the Drake roller-coaster for the thrilling white-knuckled ride mmm? Deal ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mallet swingers maker thrilling reads ;-)

      Delete