Existentialism of the Rotting Soul

 “shattered life dangles
a severed voice screams in grief
I’m rotting inside”

Last night, I read “The Harpy”, a poem by Carmen Esposito that made my heart tremble. Phrases like “silky deceit,” “beloved tormentor,” and “alienated and devastated” bit down on the soft bits of my soul.

The haiku from Breathers, made me think about the innards of the harpy in Carmen’s poetic tale. I bet the harpy’s “shattered life dangles, [her] severed voice screams in grief[camouflaged rage because she’s] rotting inside.”

That is one of the things I love about fiction: it makes me recall other fiction. Sometimes, the emotion goes deeper. Doesn’t everyone have a friend they love who happens to have someone in their lives who treats them like them dirt, lies to them, but the friend is the only one who can’t see it? Life and relationships can be such a mess. If you don’t believe me, read Married with Zombies.

Sad…

If, like me, now you need a little pick me up, read on, my Wicked Luvs.

“You’re a Zombie! You’re oozingly awesome! And you will get wherever you’re going, even if you lack limb or two.”

Married with Zombies by Jesse Petersen
“Give each other a compliment every day. Even when the undead attack, its nice to feel pretty. Or badass.”

One Grave at a Time by Jeaniene Frost
“Family. Aren’t they a motherfucker sometimes?”

This Side of the Grave by Jeaniene Frost
“Ask me if I sparkle and I’ll kill you where you stand.”

I borrowed this harpy from Carmen
Carmen borrowed the harpy from Sandara
Sandara creates wicked art!
 


Share |

24 comments:

  1. On the basis of that one quote, 'This Side of the Grave' is now on my wish list. On another note, that is: word association...'rotting soul' = 'Compost'! Yes....'tis Spring approaches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Jeaniene Frost style, and her protagonist is out of this world.

      I like your word association. Rotting that speaks of life to come. How cool ;-)

      Delete
  2. When something makes you think of anything other than just the words on the page, it's good writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I thought so, too. Something about trying to cover talons with pretty colors just made me feel things at the most organic of levels. Wicked indeed.

      Delete
  4. I may have to look at those stories later.

    And I actually had to whistle when I got a good look at the painting. It's beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a striking image, isn't it? It doesn't leave room to think of anything else.

      Delete
  5. Since we’re talking zombies, I’m curious about this book The Girl’s Guide To Dating Zombies by Lynn Messina.

    Married with Zombies sounds hilarious. I’ll make a note of these books. My TBR list keeps growing!

    Sandara rocks! I would never have envisioned a Harpy doing ordinary feminine things like we do. I guess even monsters need to feel pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Girls Guide to Daring Zombies, I should probably feed it to my Kindle ;-)

      Married with Zombies is funny and then some. And ditto about Sandara.

      Delete
  6. Found you over at Mina's....your blog is a hoot!! Zombies and all........

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, and like the main character in Breathers says, "Zombies are people, too" just a little rotten lol

      Delete
  7. Just wonderful artwork & the words... the whole post, a zom tribute... love 'A Zombie’s Lament' so painfully tragic... The Big F & I have just been discussing that if Zoms can't die why do they need to eat flesh (?) I'm thinking maybe it's part of a reproductive thing (because their bite makes other zoms)? Can they just be hungry? Always poses more questions than answers, werewolves are much more simple to understand... mmm... maybe not... Pleased you mentioned all this reading material... I'm on a zom bender at the moment, feeding on the Walking Dead, gotta get some of that zom reading material too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always wondered about zombies' fixation with flesh and brains. Maybe they are trying to get back to their meaty beginnings? Who knows, I will consult my closest rotting philosopher ;-)

      Delete
  8. I agree...that painting of the harpy is fabulous!! And that she is painting her toenails is absolutely perfect!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing. I have always liked harpies, as a matter of fact I included one in my story of Rex (a long time ago) Hm, now I'm wondering if I should use some of that for the party... ignore my tangential commenting I'm just brainstorming lol

      Delete
  9. Haven't read any zombie stuff yet, but I'm going to look into "Married with Zombies"...

    Have you read "Darkest Surrender" by Gena Showalter? It's harpy, not zombie, but you should enjoy it...Did I mention this one already?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Married with Zombies made me laughed like a loon. It was a treat.

      I haven't read any Gena Showalter. I guess I should give it a try, huh?

      Delete
  10. I'm trying to put in words. I love it when fiction is played with as if it were a mass of clay. Bend and stretch, see what happens with every move. It's why the scariest, darkest tale can still leave me in a good mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My lady, I think you were very successful putting your thoughts into words. And I agree, fiction that doesn't move at least a bit of my core, isn't worth reading.

      Delete
  11. Oh, here you have my book list growing again. These books sound amazing! That quote from "One Grave at a Time" cracked me up. That alone made it a certain must read. ;-)

    I love the harpy image. Darkly sexy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeaniene Frost is hilarious, and her characters reflect that humor.

      Delete