A Reckless Witch

I read an average of 100 books a year, give or add another hundred—I know *sigh* my name is Magaly Guerrero and I’m addicted to words. Out of the 100+++ books I read last year, you might find 13 or fewer that are nonfiction.

I write, read and breathe dark fiction. If you don’t believe me, just go ahead and read my bio. I have nothing against writing that discusses facts; as a matter of fact *grin* I’m a fan of dictionaries, biographies, almanacs, and most books about herbs. But I LOVE stories with characters that emerge right out of the deepest places in writers’ hearts and heads.

My latest portion of fictional ambrosia was served by Debora Geary. Her novel, A Reckless Witch, is life, excitement and magic whipped into the most delicious of tales. I will probably read it again. I love it because it fully reflects a vital part of my inner witchy self. If you have the chance to read it—and I pray you do—please let me know what you think. Better yet, write about it and tell the world what you liked most.  


My favorite part is the main character. “As a child, Sierra Brighton traveled the world. She swam with the baby whales, danced in storm funnels, and lived in complete magical freedom. And then Momma died and Sierra ended up in foster care, an unhappy and very secret witch.” But don’t despair, my luvs, for Sierra finds a witchy family. And together, they discover the power of eclectic witchery, the importance of trust and the magic of fifty foot waves.    
Hope you are having a wonderful Friday the 13th, my Wicked Darlings. I celebrated this wondrous day by reading 13 books from the 1st to 13th of January. I’ve quoted my favorite bits out of every tale I read. Hm, I kind of like this quote sharing idea. I might do it every month... Here are some for January:

1. A Reckless Witch by Debora Geary, 1, 5, 8, 9, 10, 11  
“The water can be fearsome. A joy, a partner, but also a life-taker.” I choose to focus on the ‘joy,’ ‘partner’ and giving bits ;-)

2. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins, 5, 7, 8, 9  
“I always channel my emotions into my work. That way,” it helps me share the good, the bad, the things that really piss me off, and of course, all the yumminess, too.

3. Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen, 1, 4, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
“When you’re happy for yourself, it fills you. When you’re happy for someone else, it pours over.”

4. The Fall by Guillermo del Toro, 2, 5, 9, 12 
“Even if one understands that what one is doing is mad, it is indeed still madness”

5. Fledgling Witch by Karen Nilsen, 1, 5, 9, 10, 11, 12
“I’ve taken a lot of time devising insults for you.”

6. Hammered: Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne, 12, 5, 9, 10, 11, 12
“Excellent!” Jesus beamed at him. “Now go and stake some vamps. Especially the sparkly emo ones.” This made me laugh for a long, long, long time. Thanks, Kevin!

7. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins, 5, 7, 8, 9          “It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart.”

8. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith2, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12
“Walking out in the middle of a funeral would be, of course, bad form. So attempting to walk out on one’s own was beyond the pale.”

9. Side Jobs by Jim Butcher, 12, 5, 9, 10, 11, 12
Chili dogs, funnel cakes, fried bread, majorly greasy pizza, candy apples, ye gods. Evil food smells amazing—which is either proof that there is a Satan or some equivalent out there, or that the Almighty doesn’t actually want everyone to eat organic tofu all the time. I can’t decide.Another gigglier!

10. Spirit of Flight by Rene J. Smith, 1, 9
“Magic is believing in yourself. If you can do that, you can make anything happen.”

11. Strange Candy Laurell K. Hamilton, 12, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12
“Moonlight shivered through the curtains.” I love this quote because I can see it happening, can’t you?

12. The Witch of the Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare, 1, 8, 9, 10, 11
“What a pity that every child couldn’t learn how to read under a willow tree.”

13. The Witches of Eastwick by John Updike, 1, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
“Of course, I wouldn’t know a snowy egret if I were pissing on one. Lunch?” I’m crazy about this quote because with 15 words the author tells me exactly who the speaker is. Of course, Daryl Van Horne also shows his uniqueness when he says things like, “I always like a little pussy after lunch.”

What have you read lately, my Wicked Darlings? Anything witchy?
***
 Click on the image to see my 2012 To-Be-Read List
1 for Witchy Books, 2 for Horror and Urban Fantasy, 3 for Daring You to Read…, 
4 for LGBT Reading Challenge, 5 for Fantasy, 6 for Zombies, 7 for Dystopia, 
8 for Audio Book, 9 for Outdo Yourself, 10 for 2012 Pagan Reading Challenge,  
11 2012 Witches & Witchcraft Reading Challenge, 
12 2012 Paranormal Reading Challenge, 13 Projecto Lecture 8 Inanna
PBP Week 2


32 comments:

  1. jonquil alexia1/13/2012

    Have finished 'Taking 1960' & 'This Brilliant Darkness', & starting 'Who Are You in the Tarot'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book sounds really good, and I love those quotes!
     
    I haven't read most of those books, but I'll definately do so if I get the chance (if I can find audio copies, of course).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recently finished Debora Geary's first two...but B&N doesn't have A Reckless Witch...I'll have to be patient...maybe I'll get the Witches of Eastwick...Haven't read that one yet...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Friday 13th ;o) The book sounds excellent Magaly ;o) I like the number 9 quote, about the evil food smells amazing ;o) Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caitlin1/13/2012

    I read, and loved, the Fault in Our Stars by John Green and Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor. I'm also in the middle of A Song of Fire and Ice series, which I LOVE. Nothing Witchy though. Yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read Kim Harrison's "White Witch, Black Curse" and felt a little lost until I realized that I had missed something--like the first 6 books in the series, maybe? I have a lot of catching up to do on this one.  Seems like a rather good read, engaging. I enjoyed this one.

    Mary Downing Hahn" "Witch Catcher", a teen novel I'm glad I did not send to a young witchling in the make, as the witches take the adversarial role in the story line. Stepping back from my personal bias, the overall structure is sound. I wouldn't joyously reccommend it, though.

    Tess Whitehurst's "Magical Housekeeping" is a definite keeper. I'm no hoarder, but definitely had a clutter problem. Please note the past tense. One little declutter spell later, I was hooked. The trash collectors probably cringe when approaching my house now. Cupboards that hadn't seen the light of day in years are emptied of nonessential stuff. A non-practicing colleague mentioned that she was getting overwhelmed just thinking about her home office, so I gave her a brief outline of the "positive affirmation technique" I had just read about. I saw her last week and she was aux ange about "that declutter technique"; she had cleared her home office, the storage shed, the back bedroom...I have the kindle edition and the paperback (I think it worth the investment).

    Bobby Lake-Thom's "Spirits of the Earth: A Guide to Native american Nature Symbols, Stories, and Ceremonies" requires more than one reading, especially if one is pursuing a shamanistic path or a primitive path of singularity. His teachings on recognizing when a cognisant Nature is attempting to communicate through symbolic  occurrance is making me re-evaluate some interactions with wild life,  flora, and crystal. This one is thought provoking and needs a few days dedication.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Friday the 13th! I've read a few books on your list - Catching Fire, Mockingjay, and Garden Spells. I love Sarah Addison Allen's books because of the magical surrealism - brilliant. I'm going to have to check out the other books on your list! A Reckless Witch sounds especially good. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Slommler1/14/2012

    I have been doing movies...and not reading!  Sigh!  But I have enjoyed myself immensely!!  Love the quotes...all of them!!
    Enjoy dear one
    Hugs
    SUeAnn

    ReplyDelete
  9. ljrich1/14/2012

    Wow, you're WAY ahead of me! I have read......zero whole books this year. I'm working on a couple tho. I've been reading, "How to get LJ's butt in gear." by me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. SunshineShelle1/14/2012

    Love EVERY one of the quotes, tasty spoonfuls of wonderful words, just delicious :) Oh & Debora Geary & her magic 50 ft waves... sounds like something a surfer I know would love ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. lilacwolf1/15/2012

    Oh I had forgotten about this.  I don't think I have read anything witchy yet. 

    I adore Deborah Geary...and that book had me in stitches and tears.  She just keeps getting better.  :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vickie1/15/2012

    Magaly!! I've tagged you! Please come join the fun over at http://aoibhealslair.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved Strange Candy, and all the Updike ones, even the sequel... some more on here I gotta check out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay! I read This Brilliant Darkness last year; it was different... 

    ReplyDelete
  15. I truly hope you get to read Debora's books; they are incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Debora's tales are a treat, aren't they? Let me know what you think about The Witches of Eastwick, after you read it; especially your opinion when it comes to style.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Number 9 made laugh for a long time. Yep, have the sense of humor of a five-year-old whose reading things too grownup for her fragile little mind lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. Smoke and Bone sounds interesting. I'm quite attracted to catchy titles ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've heard great things about "Spirits of the Earth," I should probably pick it up. And do go back and read Kim's previous books, they are yummy! My favorite in the series is book 6, "The Outlaw Demon Wails." I might have read it twice *cough, cough* 

    ReplyDelete
  20. Don't feel bad, you have to focus your brain power on healing and feeling awesome. There will be time for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just finished reading a good chunk of LJ's book, and I can't wait to read more *wink, wink*

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think this one will be enjoyed by the entire artistic, surfer bunch; seriously! 

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm glad I wasn't the only one crying like an idiot between bursts of laughter. Debora does it for me every time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. And I'll play very, very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Strange Candy was my reader-writer favorite. There is something magical about a collection that includes an author's first works.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are doing better than me this January on the reading front! GARDEN SPELLS, one I want to read! And THE HUNGER GAMES --- eek, I am probably the last person who hasn't read them yet!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Please excuse my confusion (eek), is there a linky thing that we enter our read titles and reviews into? I have read two so far in February and would like to share my reviews while also reading input from others on titles they've read. By the way, I'm hoping the three from Debora Geary will be next - or perhaps Garden Spells...ah, so much I want to do and so little time! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I was out of school at the beginning of January, so I was reading a book every day. School is back in session, so no more extra fun *sigh*

    Garden Spells is amazing and The Hunger Games is dark and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  29. No linky, just old fashion leave a comment with your link or send me an email with the same info and I'll add it to the main page. 

    Any book by Debora will be a treat, and Garden Spells was an amazing read! 

    ReplyDelete
  30. This Geary book sounds great!  I may have to add it to my miles long TBR!

    ♥Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  31. Her books are a treat ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. well because of your review Magaly.. I will continue on with the series. I have read the 1st book but didnt' feel a need to go further. The 2nd book is my next to read. I will look for your review and we can compare notes ;) k...

    ReplyDelete