An Unexpected Gift

“You must’ve gone into one of your Witchcraft lectures again,” my friend sat next to me in the classroom.

“What are you talking about?” I almost didn’t ask. My friend had been acting weird lately, and I wanted to avoid long conversations.

“This girl I work with was saying how you were talking nonsense about Witchcraft being about spirituality, and—”

Nonsense?” the word tasted nasty in my mouth.

“She was the one who said it; don’t look at me like that.”

I wanted to ask who, but thought better about it. “Guess people have the right to be stupid. I’ve got to go to class.” I stood up.

“She’s in your class, you know?”

That got me more interested than I cared. “Who?”

My friend sighed. “I didn’t want to tell you because I know you like her. Remember the Jewish girl you said was really smart and sweet; the one in your Magical Realism class?”

“Esther!” I couldn’t hide my surprise. I had, indeed, said Esther was smart and sweet. I enjoyed having a class with her because her critiques of stories were always thoughtful. A week or so before, I had mentioned to my friend that I was going to ask Esther if she was interested in forming a writing group. “I was not expecting that.”

“I know,” my friend put an arm around my shoulder. “That’s why I didn’t want to tell you. Sorry.”

“Don’t be,” I said. “It’s alright. I don’t really know Esther anyway.”


I didn’t approach Esther about the writing group or about anything else. Two semesters went by. My friend and I started being not so friendly after she asked me out, and couldn’t understand when I told her: one, I’m in committed relationship, and two, I’m straight. Then Esther and I ended up in a children’s literature class together, and she wrote “The Witch’s Dance” as one of her class assignments. I read the tale, and fell in love with Amelia, Julie and Ms. Pur.

And I realized the person, whom I thought to be my friend, had lied to me. It didn’t take long to figure out why. She had asked me to be her writing partner. I was honest, and said that I didn’t think we made a good writing match. She writes Victorian literature and I’m in love with urban fantasy and magical realism. And maybe the whole bit about her wanting to get in my pants might have been a factor, too.

Anyway, after reading “The Witch’s Dance,” I approached Esther and asked her if she would like to guest post at Pagan Culture. I told her I had a reason, but she will be finding out the details through this post. I wanted to savor my unexpected gift, for a while, and then share it with you, my Wicked Darlings.

Esther’s “The Witch’s Dance” is one of those gifts that keeps on giving—cliché, but true. I love knowing that although our beliefs are completely different, the fact that she is Jewish and I’m a Witch doesn’t keep us from enjoying the magic of words.
Thanks a million for your witchy tale, Esther, and for allowing me to share this virtual gift with the world. Okay, the world that reads Pagan Culture ;-)

And to you, my Wicked Darling Luvs, read “The Witch’s Dance” and ask Esther a question about her story, for an extra entry on my Skully Winter Solstice Blessings Witchy Tarot Cards giveaway (say that 13 times fast!). Also, visit The Village Witch and tell Sally her Yule Magic Blog Party with a virtual magical gift rocks!! And... follow Reader’s Dialogue, Esther’s blog, for another entry. Happy Winter Solstice, my Luvs!!!  

Share |

41 comments:

  1. People can be so underhanded sometimes.  I'm really glad you reached back out because I love the story (gift) from yesterday.

    Happy Yule to you and Happy Chanukkah to Esther!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Done, done and done :)  I'ts a shame that people have to stir up trouble to suit their own means; I'm glad it didn't have any negative effects on you and Esther's friendship. I loved Esther's story and am now following her blog :)  Sally's Yule Blog Party really is great; loved her video... beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep! Sometimes it's the one's we love that hurt us most,we place our trust in friendship and BAM! they smack us right in the kisser. I hope your new found friendship with Esther proves a happy one :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bernard-Charles12/21/2011

    I am in complete awe over this story and the way you presented it was amazing! Magaly, you have a knack for words and Happy Yule! 

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hazel (Didos)12/21/2011

    WOW What a great gift, Off to read it now, Thanks so much, Happy Yule xx Hazelx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this is fab!!!! Thank you so much for joining in - loved reading this, thank you! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dragonfly12/21/2011

    Thanks for sharing Esther's story with us Magaly it was lovely.

    I'm glad you got to realigned things and see the real Esther in the end not the false image your old friend gave you, jealousy can be a terrible thing.

    Now I'm off to check out this Yule party, not been blogging for a while so out of the loop with what people are doing. Hope to catch up with you again in the new year, Happy Yule x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful gift you've bestowed upon us! Thank you so much Magaly! It was a wonderful read! 

    Kourtney

    ReplyDelete
  9. AutumnWind12/21/2011

    What a lovely gift! I really enjoyed the story. It made me laugh and left me with a big smile on my face. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Esther Bernstein12/21/2011

    Wow, Magaly, I had no idea. I do remember that in that class, you talked some about Witchcraft - which makes sense, seeing as we were discussing a time period steeped in beliefs about witches and magic! I'm just really glad that we got to meet again so you could see the real me, not whatever that person made up about me. Happy Yule!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Diandra Linnemann12/22/2011

    Yeah, and that is why, "XYZ said thir (or that) about you" is never a reliable source. Sometimes people get something backwards, sometimes they are being plain nasty. I am glad this misunderstanding got resolved.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You begin to wonder how they live with themselves. I'm very glad Esther wrote this story, for if she hadn't I would probably still be in someone else's darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you enjoy her reviews as much as I do ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some people are strange, aren't they? It makes me wonder what they get out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Winter Solstice to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for hosting the goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's so good to hear from you, Dragonfly. And yes, jealousy can be a terrible thing that consumes relationships and people alike. 

    I shall go and check out what you are up to.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amelia made me laugh, too. She is just so hilarious! 

    ReplyDelete
  19. So am I. But better late than ever, right? I always say that things happen for a reason, and "The Witch's Dance" seems to have it's reason very clear.

    Happy Hanukkah!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think the plain nasty bit applies to this situation. I should have been more suspicious, but I was so focused on trying to run away from her at the time, that I missed the whole thing. But I'm glad it no longer matters ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's a shame about people like that "friend" of yours; at least you found out the truth in the end and are now able to enjoy a friendship with someone who sounds to be a much better friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's difficult to know who your friends are...Glad things worked out for you...Enjoyed Esther's story and look forward to more...

    ReplyDelete
  23. That was a really crappy thing for  your "friend" to do... But everyone's colors always show through in the end...

    Esther's story was wonderful and I am definitely looking forward to more..

    Have a Blessed Solstice, Magaly! I hope you, your Piano Man and the Little Princess have a magickal time!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That was a wonderful short story! My question for Esther is, is there a book of your short stories somewhere?  This story brought back a memory of my childhood, when my friends and I also thought something was not , what we swore it was. LOL The sweetness, innocence and imagination of children. you have to love it!
    Thank you Magaly!
    Blessed Yule,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't understand how people can be like that! Someone, who you thought was a friend! Errrr.....!!! I love Esther's story and, I am so happy you featured her story on your blog! Everything turned out great! Happy Winter Solstice Magaly ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I cannot understand why people tear down others for their own gain. This is such a beautiful example of overcoming and second chances. Something you greatly excel in, my darling friend. I am so glad things turned out for the highest good of all concerned. Hugs to you, sweetie! 

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sweet Magaly, I forgot to wish you a beautiful Yule. I hope the light shed love upon you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, I loved Esther's story! Thanks for steering us her way. I'm following Esther now too! Happy Solstice! Deb

    ReplyDelete
  29. Esther Bernstein12/25/2011

    I hope there will be, Susan! For now, I'm writing separate stories, but maybe a collection will happen...

    ReplyDelete
  30. I loved Esther's story! I do not, however, like underhanded people. So, BOOOO on the other friend.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like Esther quite a bit, too. I was all smiles when I read her story for the first time, and I've smiled every time I reread it. It is amazing what we discover if we pay attention, or if we read, or if someone writes a great story lol

    ReplyDelete
  32. I can't stand the meany, envious, greedy ones; they are just not all that lovable lol.

    Hugs right back at you, my dearest friend.

    P.S. I got a lavender scented helping hand in the mail... and I got words, too. *wink, wink*

    ReplyDelete
  33. Happy belated Yule to you, too, love. I was just thinking about you and your hubby ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Some people out there have no shame.

    ReplyDelete
  35. My grandma used to say that you can't hide anything that's done under the sky; I believed her.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Man. I wish people didn't do that kind of thing. I like things straight and uncomplicated!

    ReplyDelete