You’ll Dance When I Die, 2011

You’ll dance when I die because you loved me and you knew me.

You’ll wear my favorite colors: black and red. It’ll be okay to cry when you miss me too much, but the tears will dry as you spin, laugh and dance.

You won’t kill flowers for my funeral party. You’ll know cut flowers would make me sad. But you’ll bring potted daisies to brighten up the place; pink happy ones to the right of my urn, and red wild ones to the left.

You’ll keep some of my ashes, but will spread most in the woods. You’ll know I’ll want to be trees, soil, flowers… I’ll want to coat a stone, an old log, a new seed… I’ll want to be Nature… earth food… I will, in death, still want to be me.

You’ll play my favorite music; loud. At the universe you might be pissed. Sometimes you’ll ask the Gods “Why did you have to take my love?” And you’ll be fucking mad at them, at me, at everything…

But you’ll still dance when I die because you’ll remember that I lived.
Me and a skeleton, laughing like loons. My hair is in ponytail. Must love the irony!

***
The words above are part of my will. I have edited it to reflect life changes, but the main theme remains intact: I will always be the way I am.

I remember telling the person who used to be in charge of addressing my last wishes, “I’ll come back from beyond the grave and pull your freaking toes, if you don’t play ‘Pelo Suelto’ [my favorite song] at my funeral.”

I don’t expect the ones who love me not to be upset when I die, but I want my feelings about the circle of life to be respected. I’m intrigued by death, but I’m not afraid of it. When my heart stops beating, my essence will go on… I will be part of Nature. And if I can, I’ll come back every All Hallow’s Eve to party until I drop… again.

That is the reason why I like this time of the year so much. The veil between worlds is thin and mysterious… I want to celebrate the life of those I’ve loved and have gone into the Summerlands. I hope they can see inside my heart and recognize the bits of them that still live in me.

This is Gloria Trevi’s “Pelo Suelto,” which means hair down in Spanish. The video is in, um… Spanish, but I’ve translated the lyrics for you at the end of the post. It is the first song I memorized. I think body language and music can cross barriers, so give the video a chance and let me know what you think. Oh, and imagine nine year old me, dancing and singing at the top of my lungs while scrubbing the house on Saturday mornings.


“Pelo Suelto” – Hair Down

I like wearing my hair down
I like everything that is mystery
I always like going against the wind
If they tell me “white”, I tell them “black”

I like wearing my hair down
Even if they always see me with tangles
I like everything that is sincere
I’m real and I have no other side

I like wearing my hair down
Even if they say that I sweep the ground
I like to be aggressive like a jealous cat
And sometimes tame like a sleepy lion

I like wearing my hair messy
Even if my grandma finally has a heart attack
I’m going to wear my hair down
Even if they scream at me all the way to heaven

And I’m going, and I’m going, and I’m going, and I’m going, and I’m going, and I’m going...

I’m going to wear my hair down
I’m going to always be the way I am
I’m going to forget taboos
I’m going to fear no one

I’m going to wear my hair down
I’m going to always be the way I am
Even if they label me as indecent
Even if people talk bad about me

I like wearing my hair down
I can’t stand boring men
If someone wants me to cut my hair
Even if I loved them, they can go to hell

I like wearing my hair down
I can’t even stand the sight of a hair brush
I like being faithful to a feeling
I’m going to forget about the sad times

And I’m going, and I’m going, and I’m going, and I’m going, and I’m going, and I’m going...

I’m going to wear my hair down
I’m going to always be the way I am
I’m going to forget taboos
I’m going to fear no one

I’m going to wear my hair down
I’m going to always be the way I am
Even if they label me indecent
Even if people talk bad about me… hm!

I’m going to wear my hair down
They can say whatever they want
I’m going to wear my hair down
No, no I won’t shave my hair off

I…. am going to wear my hair down
I’m going to always be the way I am

******************
Day eighteen to Get Off Your Broom, and The Real Witches of Halloween and The 2011 Countdown to Hallowe’en and yeah, party! Have you visited Danni, Lyn, Serenity and the rest of the witchy partiers yet? 

41 comments:

  1. Ember the Muse10/18/2011

    Thank you, after all the messiness of the last few weeks, this is the best read in a long long time... I think I should let my hair down :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Georginamorley10/18/2011

    Fabulous Lyrics! I can so see you swishing your broom and singing in defiance :D
    Never occurred to me to right down my last wishes, always assumed people would know by now(but am going to do now)
    Did you see my sketchbook I made about my dad http://daydreambeliever-gina.blogspot.com/p/sketchbook-world-tour-2012.html It is called "It's Summer Where you are!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such a beautiful face and smile, just beaming out! Angel for sure comes to mind! Lovely to see you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slommler10/18/2011

    I can't wait to let my hair down!!  Still recovering here...slow but sure!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn
    Me...cremated and no funeral but a dinner party for toasting my life and my interaction with others!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much, Julie. I'm very happy you like what you see, your words are adorable too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hm, I might have to do a little editing this year; a dinner party sounds way better than a funeral. Yes, a dinner party where everybody celebrates their lives and mine. You are a genius! 

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Georgina, I just went and saw it and read your words; what a beautiful man (and and out) and he created such a wonderful girl. I bet he is smiling at your from the Summerlands, flexing his muscles and telling his friends, "Look at my beautiful little girl, all grownup and perfect."

    A great man indeed...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Misty Fouquet10/18/2011

    You piece of will up there is wonderful! I was never fearful of death until I had my kids. I think I will go back to not fearing once they are old enough to not need me anymore :) But even then I just told my best friend yesterday that we have to be old enough to get on our kids nerves but not so old we are pooping our pants :) So we will see! But your words were very beautiful and wise and I thank you for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hermit Witch10/18/2011

    Dance when I die! Perfect. Such beautiful, inspiring words Magaly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda Wildenstein10/18/2011

    me too, me too. My family knows that I don't want a funeral but rather a party. Balloons, chocolate, lots of chocolate and music. Everyone can tell what a "bit of a loon" I was. Tears only if necessary but lots of laughs and party hats. Then I want my ashes taken to the mountains. My daughter has the ashes of her pets....and said she will add mine to the pile.......what? will it make any difference??? I think not.
    I love your "after thoughts". Good plan my dear. Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the lyrics!  Just yesterday Mooch and I were discussing the Day of The Dead and she said she wants to have a party on Nov. 2nd for all of our friends and family who have passed.  I think you have a kindred soul ... or two! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Judy-JudysPhotos@blogspot.com10/18/2011

    Imagine you knew the moves and the song...somehow it looks like you...

    ReplyDelete
  13. MagicLoveCrow10/18/2011

    Magaly, this song was wrote for you!! I have to admit, I felt like dancing listening to it! I really love it!! Great post my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Children do make everything different, don't they? But you know what? One of the things that made me be clearer about this is that while working with patients who were gravely ill (and sometimes passed away) I saw how much not knowing for sure affected everyone, especially children--young and old. 

    It is difficult to think about our mortality, I think, because we are leaving the ones we love behind. And we are going to 'somewhere' we don't really know. But as one of those things we can't change, I think it is best if we make the best of it, even if the best doesn't feel like it. I hope this makes sense...

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad you liked them ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You should have seen my brother's face the first time I talked about this lol 

    Sometimes I wonder how someone who spent a lifetime with me knows me so little. You and SueAnn have inspired me to do some editing--I want chocolate too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Every single move... and on Independence Day--the day we dress up in Dominican Republic to show that we are free to be anything we like--I always wore clothes with holes in them and teased my hair to unimaginable sizes!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Then dance! lol
    It is such a lively song. I love Glorias music. 

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the post, and think the song is beautiful and brilliant!
    I want the same as you; I want people to be sad when I go, but I
    also want them to celebrate the fact that I was, remember the good things, and
    give my body back to the Earth when my spirit is done with it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the post, and think the song is beautiful and brilliant!


     


    I want the same as you; I want people to be sad when I go, but I
    also want them to celebrate the fact that I was, remember the good things, and
    give my body back to the Earth when my spirit is done with it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. "Give my body back to the Earth when my spirit is done with it!" That is how I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Knockknockstreet10/19/2011

    Your wishes for your death are a good idea. I can't understand why people like to make themselves sad, they should be celebrating life!  Good post that reminds me I should make my wishes known.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love it!  What a great song - I can see you wanting that at your funeral.  Hmmm...maybe you should insist on a dance party instead of a wake.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Greenwitchwithsprinkles10/19/2011

    Oh Magaly, I am captivated at every word, every essence of thought in this post. It is all so you, my beautiful friend and I am in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love it! The song reminds me of sleeping over my friends' house when we were kids and every Saturday morning, their mother made us clean. But it was fun. Lots of Spanish music and a lot of loud Puerto Ricans teasing me about being white and loving the music I couldn't understand...

    I have a similar will. I used to want a Viking funeral but I'm pretty sure it's illegal lol. Hubby and I both want to be cremated and we want some of our ashes mixed together and then scattered. He wants some of his ashes to be made into a bullet (the whole armorer in the Marine Corps thing) and I want some of my ashes to be mixed with ink for my grand children's BOS's and some for a garden and whatever grows in that garden, will be cooked into a feast in memory of my life and the things I love most. I want a dinner party too, with lots of yummy food that I've loved during my time here on Earth. I don't want mourning. I just want everyone I know and love to remember how precious life and love really are....

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have no hair to let down ;p
    And maybe its lost in translation because of cultural differences but that was a very creepy video lol and the imagery in my head was of you circa cinderella scrubbing a castle to this incredibly up beat spanish song while various woodland creatures, also spanish, helped you clean and kept your hair out of the way for you since it was, of course, down.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Glad to be of service ;-) 

    Guess what? I was talking about your family today. I was telling someone about the things that happened with your husband. She thought it was very powerful, as did I.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think dancing and laughing would remind people more of who I was than a bunch of friends crying their eyeballs out.  Write on!

    ReplyDelete
  29. You always know just what to say to me, Mina. It is all me indeed ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your hubby is a 2011? Me too!!! 

    Ha on the Viking funeral, I can just imagine all the jaw drops and the firefighters on boats trying to figure out what the heck is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sometimes, I don't know what to say to you. You are just too much for me and my laughing muscles... "various woodland creatures, also spanish, helped you clean and kept your hair out of the way for you since it was, of course, down." Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Darkwench10/20/2011

    Hahaha.....Magaly, you make me smile - I love your "will" and if your wishes are not kept true I can just see you coming back to haunt them...LOL...but you have made me think, what a lovely thing to put in your will...really....yes, loved ones are sad when one passes to the Summerland, but it would be great for them to dance and let their hair down, having a party in ones honour!!
    But until that time...I wish you many a healthy and happy year :o))

    ReplyDelete
  33. I need to find that song now.:) If I'm still alive then, I'll dance. ....as much as I can in my wheelchair.;)

    Today, we honour the ones that lived!

    ReplyDelete
  34. lisa brawner10/21/2011

    What an awesome song :) I can see you dancing as you clean

    ReplyDelete
  35. And just as many times three to you, my dear ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Those power wheel chairs can perform miracles ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  37. Glad you liked the song! 

    ReplyDelete
  38. Dark Mother10/24/2011

    When I'm dead I want a big party with drinks, food, laughter and lots of dancing.  Celebrate my life I say!

    ReplyDelete