The Witchy Voices in My Head

This is the delightful work of Ruben de Vela.
If you read A Hat Full of Sky this image will probably make you smile too.

I’m rereading A Hat Full of Sky. Lately, I’ve needed my Knight Writer’s witchy wit and wisdom more than usual. You see, there are a few things that remain true more than 99.9913% of the time in my life:
- My Piano Man can put a smile on my face regardless of what mood I’m in
- My Hair curls up at the mere mention of water
- Terry Pratchett’s books make me giggle, squeak and even cackle
- When I’m going through difficult times, my head is filled with the witchy things I’ve learned over the years

The latter seems to happen to other witches—even in fiction. Tiffany is a good example. She saw “The shadows were growing, but they didn’t worry her. Bits of Miss Tick’s teachings floated through her head: Always face what you fear. Have just enough money, never too much, and some string. Even if it’s not your fault, it’s your responsibility. Witches deal with things. Never stand between two mirrors. Never cackle. Do what you must do. Never lie, but you don’t have to be honest. Never wish. Especially don’t wish upon a star, which is astronomically stupid. Open your eyes, and then open your eyes again.

Every once in a while, I listen to fictional witches; laugh, it’s okay. You can even cackle if that fits your fancy—I’ve been known to do my bit of uncontrolled cackling when I’m tickled the right way. I don’t discriminate knowledge because of its roots. Today, I’ll tip my virtual pointy hat to Miss Tick and say “Yes, my dearest scholarly witch, I’ll open my eyes, and then open them again.

I feel that when things are so nasty that a way out seems to exist only beyond our imagination, all we need to do is open our eyes again. Look… see… look and the things that really matter are just a kiss away.

Then it’s okay to cackle.  

What voices fill your head when times are gloomy? 

Share |

20 comments:

  1. Linda Wildenstein8/28/2011

    Better left untyped.....not very socially acceptable I'm afraid. I wish that it weren't so...but gloomy is a nasty hot mess in my head when it lives there....Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. ljrich8/28/2011

    Just thoughts of the witchy-est person I ever knew. She wasn't (supposedly) a witch at all. That bit up there from Tiffany is good stuff to remember, though. It's amazing the great witchy bits that do actually come from books. And, not always the books people are recommending for witchy bits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean, my adored Oma... my motto is "express it through fiction, so that it can become socially digested." 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most real Witches aren't "conventionally" witchy at all. I love that fact ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diandra Linnemann8/29/2011

    I got much of my "wisdom" from music... the usual radio pop songs, listening to the lyrics and thinking about them. Yeah, it's cheesy, I know. (^v^)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mina Crump8/29/2011

    I also use bits of fiction as sound advice. After all, these thoughts do come from actual live beings and aren't we all connected in the collective unconscious? Myth and story since ancient times have remained the same, only the situation due to environment ever changes.

    When I am gloomy I try to remember that all of life is about balance. If I am to know happiness, I must know sadness. If I am to know pleasure, I must know pain, for otherwise how could I  truly know any emotion without knowing what it is not. I try to identify what is bothering me and if I can think of  nothing in particular, I recognize it as this need for balance and call it my "down time".

    On the other hand, if it is something outside of myself, I ask the universe for the wisdom of acceptance and ask for "the best for all concerned" as an outcome OR if I am feeling particularly bitchy about something I see how many words I can string after the F word. ;-)   The latter makes me smile fastest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I feel gloomy, I let myself feel it.  I wallow in it.  I listen to depressing music, dangle my toes in the depths of the dark, mope around for a day or two and enjoy my woe while it lasts.  I know that may sound odd, but it would be a monumental exercise in futility to try to be happy all the time, and to be honest, I wouldn't even want to be.  I want to live life to the fullest, and that means experiencing the full range of human emotions, from love to hate, gloom to cheer, and every little twinge in between.  It's part of the beauty of being alive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vanessa Leavitt8/30/2011

    Great post! I'm like you I think. When things get too bad, I escape into my imagination. Things still get done in real life, but I do live in my head primarily, so the landscape there changes quite frequently. :-)
    -Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tamara8/30/2011

    Sometimes my gloomy thoughts are pretty scary and I tend to have a pity party and wallow in them for awhile. But my happier side always seem to win out and overpower the gloomy thoughts with images of my loved ones, memorable experiences, songs that touch me. I also reach for a blue candle and a stick of cinnamon incense. :) I'm not cackling at all over you listening to some of the fictional witches...i have too on more than one occasion.  Why do you think I carry "belladonna" in my bag! lol ...just in case .  j/k

    ReplyDelete
  10. Geckostone8/31/2011

    I love that "open your eyes, then open them agian" but I like yours even better,"the things that really matter are only a kiss away"!Yowza, I hope I don't start kissing all my friends at work today,lol!!!( and we need some sort of icon for this on our blogs, cackle,cackle! Deb

    ReplyDelete
  11. greendragonflies288/31/2011

    Hmm...I suppose when I'm feeling gloomy I retreat into nature. Then I feel much better! :) ~Witchy

    ReplyDelete
  12. When the mood is right, I go over and over and over the things I'm going to say or have said...again and again and again...just to be sure it's right...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not cheesy at all; practical.

    ReplyDelete
  14. In the loosely paraphrased words of, um... Dumbledore, Just because it isn't real doesn't  mean that it isn't true.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nothing like enjoying a good case of the glooms...

    ReplyDelete
  16. As long as you enjoy the place. My visualize world changes a bit, or grows, every time I visit. And the daisies are overrunning the place.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Scary, huh? Guess my writing can tell you a bit about the scary places in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sure they would be delighted to get a few kisses from you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Incredible what Nature can absorb for us, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Makes perfect sense. If more people did that the world would be a quieter place, and the people would have more teeth ;-D

    ReplyDelete