Witchy Wit and Wisdom… Felled Tree

“The table sounded really sad and Emily felt that it must be awful to be a felled tree, swaying happily in the breeze one second, attacked by a sharp axe the next.”
Table, in Witch Grannies: The Case of the Evil Schoolmaster by Gary J. Byrnes

I’ve shared several quotes with you, most of them from Terry Pratchett’s witchy books. I’m turning Terry Pratchett Thursday into Witchy Wit and Wisdom, and will post it whenever I feel like it. Yep, this witchy Marine has earned the right to do whatever the heck she wants and whenever she wants *grinning the wicked smirk of earned freedom*

Many of the quotes will probably still be from Terry Pratchett’s books—I love the man’s writing, and I own a delicious copy of The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld (Gracias Cogent!). The quotes in this book constantly scream “Share my wit, Witch! Share my wit!” So, um, I kind of have to share its wit.

About Today’s Quote…
The words cited above stayed with me because of the emotions they evoked. I know, in my witchy heart, that energy can’t be destroyed. And when I think about the way we treat the world around us: animals, people, trees… I feel as sad as Table did in Byrnes’s Witch Grannies.

So next time you see, touch, use… any wooden anything, remember its core might be filled with ancient memories. Think about Table’s words, my luvs, and honor their sacrifice.

Share |

11 comments:

  1. Tis good to pay homage to a felled tree! I will remember!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sobering thoughts there! "Ancient memories" kinda got to me. My heart always go out to the felled trees, but then I don't think about them when I sit at the wooden dining table. Thanks for the kick in the pants!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today really will make me stop and think, great day to post this. I live in a state that used to be covered in trees...the lumber industry was here before the auto industry. Sobering indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully stated, you amazing witchy Marine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 4th, sweet Magaly. Thank you for all you have done, faced and sacrificed as a Marine to ensure the rest of us remain free.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely something to think about. Thank you. Right now I'm sitting at a desk that's made from wood. I wonder what its history is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SueAnn - It is indeed!

    Robin - You know you can count on me ;-)

    Lilac - I think Independence Day is the perfect time to speak for those whose voices are ignored.

    Mina - You are lovely and very welcome ;-)

    Sarita - You let me know what you find out about the good old boy (or girl) who has been there for so many paper writing (or procrastinating) experiences ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Magaly, thank you! I wouldn't be thinking the way I am now, if it wasn't for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mortimer7/06/2011

    Very true, something many forget. Whenever I feel I need to reconnect with nature and the universe, I walk into the forest and sit, or meditate (Isha Kriya). We must remember our wooded friends!

    ReplyDelete
  10. MagicLoveCrow - I either got something in my eyes or you made me all mushy inside.

    Indeed, Mortimer!
    And although this has nothing to do with the post, I wanted to let you know that you share the name of one of my favorite characters in fiction. Mortimer from Cornelia Funke Inkheart Series. How cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. MagicLoveCrow - I either got something in my eyes or you made me all mushy inside.

    Indeed, Mortimer!
    And although this has nothing to do with the post, I wanted to let you know that you share the name of one of my favorite characters in fiction. Mortimer from Cornelia Funke Inkheart Series. How cool!

    ReplyDelete