Magaly’s Word Preserves: Can’t Quit Witching, Part II

In Sex and Dark Moon Magic: Can’t Quit Witching, Part I, I told you that I’ve been blessed with a man who can brighten the gloomiest of my days, and who possesses the insight to help me through just about anything.

Yes, my Wicked Darlings, when my Piano Man and I get our heads—and other bits of our anatomy—together, magic happens. We’ve spent the last couple of weeks trying to come up with ways that would allow me to practice my witchery and preserve my sanity. You see, most Witches don’t practice magic just because it is fun or because it feels natural, but because we need to. I, for instance, wouldn’t know what to do with the excess energy if I had to quit witching.

First, a bit of background: I’m an Aries attracted to dark moon energy and to greenery. Fire and darkness are my closest allies. These two forces kind of balance each other out, but any fire child will tell you that there is no such thing as containing the heat within; not without it consuming you. The same goes for dark energy; holding it in can be scary, lonely and I won’t even tell you about the uncanny dreams… When I was very young, my love for plants kept me focused and safe. They kept my mind occupied; there was just so much to learn.

Then the fires of puberty began to burn, and the dark moon planted seeds of mystery in my mind… I found temporary relief exploring woodlands and rivers, but it wasn’t until I allowed the fire and the darkness to manifest their energy through storytelling and magic that I found an inner place I truly loved and wanted to keep. It happened by accident. I was in Beaufort, South Carolina, going through Marine Corps Basic Training when a friend wrote to me, and said “I wish you were here. My head is full of uglies. I tried one of your dark moon banishings, but it didn’t work right. I can’t do it like you.”

My first thought was, I can’t believe you just wrote to whine while I’m in freaking Boot Camp! Then I felt very guilty. My friend was not a whiner, so he had to have been going through something nasty. That night I wrote to him during free time—that is the time when you are free to iron your uniform, polish your boots, shave your hairy bits or write to your loved ones. It was not a regular letter. It was a banishing spell crafted as a story. My friend replied in a few of days. “It worked! I read it like you instructed, and I swear it felt like you were here next to me. Hot damn, it worked! I love your magical words. Must bottle this up and sell it!”

And that is how one of my dearest friends touched my mind with the idea of Magaly’s Word Preserves: spells and rituals written as short stories, and then mailed out to where they are needed.

I won’t share all the details of how they are prepared, but I will say that it involves getting information from the person in need, creating the story and charging it with energy.

The charging process needs to be done in a controlled area. Have you ever tried to control anything when you have a young child? If you have, you probably know it isn’t easy. Nevertheless, you—and by you, I mean me—can do anything when you have a creative lover, mirrors, patience, locks, a witchy imagination, bottles, crafty friends, paint... and a Cherry Blossom Shoji Screen.
We are still smoothing out the kinks, but I’m sure things will work well in the end. Not only that, but the challenge has become a learning experience for our family: I’m learning to accommodate my magic around the ones I love, my Piano Man is learning a whole lot about how magic works, and the Princess is learning about boundaries.

I’m happy; life is good and magic is happening!

22 comments:

  1. I hadn't read your first post until now. I shuddered when you got to the part about the princess playing with your altar. I wouldn't be happy about anyone playing with my altar, and I don't even have any spells brewing on it!

    I seriously started jumping up and down in my chair with delight and joy when you started talking about practicing magick via a story. It seems to me that books have their own sort of magick, although I haven't been sure what. So to see you writing about writing be a form of magick... EEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! =D

    I still need to figure out what the magick is in books that aren't written as spells, but you definitely made me happy and gave me something to think on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was pretty terrified when I saw the state of things too--I was worried about the people waiting on the spells, but thank goodness everything worked itself out, or at least is heading that way. You know how I like to find the good in things, and in this instance my thoughts have been that if the Princess had not played with the altar, I would have never started what I have mind. I'm not trying to be extra mysterious, I just need to have most of the details figured out and tested before I share more. I'm thrilled it made you happy. I giggle at the thought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart leaped for joy when I read this post. I've been worried about you for days now. I can't imagine what it would be like to not be able to practice magic.. it would be like taking air away! I can't wait to see how this turns out.. it's going to be a marvelous adventure, my love!! HUGS and lots of blessings!!

    PS. totally cool that you were in the marines. I was in the Navy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty excited myself! Thanks for having me, and my issues, in your thoughts, it is highly appreciated. Aw, it would have been nice to know a witchy Navy girl in Maryland while I was stationed at Bethesda ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good growth experience for everybody! I love Japanese screens -- so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful post!! After all these years I am still trying to find out who am I and how to balance the dark and light that floats around me like dog hair (you know...getting in your nose and sticking to your favorite shirt. You wipe it off, and all it does is mock you then go back up your nose again). My altar is precious to me too, and I guess i am lucky that my girls are old enough that they just don't really pay attention to it anymore lol.

    BTW, thank you for you sweet comment :)! You made me smile big!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spells through stories! I swear you find the most creative ways to do things. If I could actually write stories, that could be fun. But, alas......I'm story writing challenged.:D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you were able to find a way around your issue with the princess being more hands on than you'd like... Hope it continues to work out well for you. :)

    Brightest blessings,
    Tori

    ReplyDelete
  9. Debra - It is indeed.

    Zombie Goddess - You are a riot of truth lol. I'm glad to have put a smile on your face; your words have the same effect on me.

    LJ - You have your super creative ways to do things too. I can't to see what you will do for Halloween.

    Toriz - Me too! LOL on "being more hands on than" I like.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Magaly, what a WONDERFUL post! (I read both of them, mesmerized the whole time...)And one that any witch who has little princesses and ninjas in her life can relate to and find solace in. You're finding solutions and so can we!

    ReplyDelete
  11. And you filled my face with shiny smiles with the picture of "little princesses and ninjas" lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome awesome idea!!!! When i had little ones around, I ended up putting everything away and didn't practice like i wanted too. I can't wait to see your magickal story idea manifest!! yay!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. *Grins* Well, thing is, I don't mind people wanting to see, but when people start picking things up and touching without your permission... Well, that's "more hands on than I like"... Hands on activities are great, but if it's someone's personal belongings, then it's strictly hands off unless they say otherwise (or it should be).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tamara - I'm really excited about getting things going too; just waiting for the Dark Moon on the 30th (I'm all into 'having the perfect start' when possible).

    Toriz - That is very true.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So happy for you my friend! I've been thinking about you, since your last post!! Magaly's Word Preserves, excellent!! I might have to write to you ;o) Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mm, mm, you might write to me... how exciting ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Control LOL!!! What's that ;) Love the idea of 'Magaly's Word' and also your blossom screen (sure you don't need bars around the area????) Also just seen how many things you've checked off your Blog Cleansing list whileI've been wandering around - WOO HOO - going well witchy babe :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad to have you back! I know I already said that, but I'm find with repeating myself when it's true. Happy you like the idea, especially because you might have to work a bit (or a lot *grin*) in order to make it work *hehehehehe*

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! You're inspiring. I practice some food magic, occasionally, working energy into jams and other goodies to share with loved ones. I don't really know what I'm doing, though. I just concentrate, usually with a chant, on focusing all of my love and well-wishing into the food; then I tell the recipients to focus on that love and what they need as they consume it. I've been told it at least brightens people's day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always say it, spells and recipes are way more effective when you add love to the mix!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wonder if this is what causes me to get really 'antsy' at times...I need to do some magic and relieve the extra energy...I'll keep that in mind...thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Maybe; it sure gets me out of sorts.

    ReplyDelete