Dis Chaos: Things I Wish To Share at Pagan Culture, But...

I schedule my blog writing… I don’t always know what I’ll write, but I tend to have notes in my writing calendar saying something like “blog about that girl at school who said I was welcome in her group, even if I was ‘godless’ or had never heard about her sacred text.” A few days ago I wanted to share some frightening local news—terrible, terrible occurrence—but I had just posted about Magaly’s Word Preserves and the upcoming posts was going to be a movie review. I know life isn’t the most orderly of things, but I feel it would be weird to sandwich the tale of an ignorant individual and a local murder, between something beautiful that means a lot to me and a review of “Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows: Part 2”. It couldn’t do it without creating clutter. I don’t like a mess.

What’s a Witch to do? How to dis chaos? And the question gave away the answer. Yep, this blog is now Dis Chaos: the place where I will post things I wish to share at Pagan Culture, but the timing is just… wrong.

About the ignorant girl…
First I must say that there were two girls.

The first approached me while I was reading, and invited me to her Bible study group. She explained that it was not Christian exclusive, and that it would be nice to share ideas with all kinds of people. I gave her my contact information and said that if they were going to study the Bible as a book, discussing the content from a non-theological perspective, I was game. She said she would get a hold of me in the future.   

The second girl started in a similar way, but added “This is an effort to help others find The Lord.” I said, “No thanks, I’m a Witch.” To which she responded, “Our group welcomes the godless who don’t know about the Bible.” I didn’t swallow my tongue, but I considered helping her swallow hers. Don’t panic; I didn’t try pushing anything nasty down her throat, I just said she should learn a bit more about the people she believes to be godless, for 13 times out of 20 they have more gods than she does.

The Murder…
I almost didn’t share this; it is too horrible, but I can’t stop thinking about it. My local morning paper reported a crime about a man killing a boy and dismembering his little body. I was shaking as I read. I felt for the boy, of course, but my heart cried for the parents. They let the boy leave a summer program by himself, for the first time; ever. The boy was 8-years-old, and he had to walk 7 blocks to meet one of his parents. The evil man got a hold of the child because the babe got lost. I don’t want to imagine how the parents are feeling at this moment.

But that is not what I wanted to share with you. The bit that hasn’t left my mind is the fact that someone said—can’t remember the name of the person, but the paper provided it—that the murderer was a “Monster” and for that reason he was not “Jewish.” The killer is an Orthodox Jew. I tried to forget those words… I couldn’t. Maybe it will go away after I post this. Perhaps after a few of you tell me that I’m not the only one who knows that monsters hide under all kinds of disguises, and religion seems to be the mask of choice for way too many of them.  


8/6/2011
Edit: This post probably reads very strange, but you are not crazy. My second blog, Dis Chaos, is gone. I would explain, but thinking about it makes me mad, sorry.  

17 comments:

  1. I must say that I am never ever surprised at the ignorance of folks who only view things from their perspective. I have always been curious (an Aries curious, surely not) and took so many comparative religion and inter religious classes in college and wanted to know what others believed. I never saw how that was gonna be bad for me....not until I was told so later on in life.
    Like you I can see and know that ugly, evil and insane come in all colors, religions, creeds and neighborhoods. Unfortunate but true. Poor parents, that would be a burden I don't know if I could carry.
    Hope getting out will help it move through you dear one. Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done the same, I've taken every version of psychology of religion I can find. Someone once asked me "Didn't you say you weren't religious?" I said "Yes" and went on to explain that I just wanted to understand certain behaviors. I'm not sure those classes have helped much as reading history of religion.

    It seems some people forget they are supposed to be kind to each other and some how start embarrassing something nasty that turns religion into a perversion of their making. Very sad and complicated... humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is AMAZING and stunning to me how people are so desperate to disassociate themselves with anything evil in the world that they are perfectly willing to say that a person is NOT because they committed .

    "This person did this horrible thing, they're not a . It's just mind boggling to me that people really do believe that religion is a moral compass, and those that are religious could never, would never hurt someone. It goes back to my original philosophy.

    "If you are not doing something simply because your religion tells you not to, you are a scary individual."

    I do believe that even I am guilty of seeing things from my own perspective, though. I blog about it constantly. It's one of my greatest flaws.

    And on the ignorance thing, just yesterday a catholic lady on a forum I frequent told said that Hellenism was based on myths, while Christianity was based on real events. I just shook my head and logged off. /facepalm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just chuckled at the last bit. It happens so much, doesn't it? The other day at school a asked me "Isn't that (referring to my pentacle) diabolical? I told her the pentacle was all about balanced and continuity and she looked at me like I had just eaten a big rock and some of it was still sticking out of my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's one of the things I detest about Christianity and some Christians. Their need to convert as if their own belief and faith is not enough for them. A person whom I considered a good friend (he went kinda crazy and was well down that path when this occurred), when I told him that I was not a Christian, that I didn't believe all that stuff, exclaimed...my god woman have you no morals! As if Christianity was the one and only source for moral behavior. I was very insulted. In fact I find that whole attitude abhorrent. That there is only one way to the divine and it is their way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some people are strange and enraging. It seems like they go so deep into themselves that they forget others have the same right to choose what they want, even if it doesn't fit their worldview.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so hard for some people to believe that it's okay to do the right thing because it is the right thing, not because of some deity demanding it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ignorant Christians make me so queasy. I believe in the God of the Bible, and I believe in the Goddess as well. Does that make me "godless"? Doubt it lol.

    I read about that little boy and my heart broke. The young lady I posted about a while back passed away last week from her injuries sustained when her father decided to beat her with a baseball bat. Thank the gods, although this bastard tried to plea insanity, the judge declared him completely competent to stand trial. I hope he burns.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel the same way. I don't understand people who can believe in one god and not accept someone else's beliefs--they make me want to puke too.

    I hope that poor woman didn't suffer much. And I, too, wish that bastard gets what he deserves.

    ReplyDelete
  10. there are way too many ignorant ppl n the world however....feeling tired right now and woolley headed maybe when Sumemer is over things will feel more normal

    ReplyDelete
  11. Let's see...I have lots of comments.

    #1 - you aren't crazy - monsters are everywhere.

    #2 - love what you said to that girl about how the "godless" usually have more gods. lol

    #3 - the parents of that boy have to be feeling so guilty. I really hope they are supporting each other and not blaming one or the other for letting him walk home. It's scary and horrible, but I still don't want to put my kids in a vaccuum where they have to be afraid to breath.

    #4 - I hope you e-mail me and tell me more about what happened with Dis Chaos. You are mad so I am wondering did Blogger mess up?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Melissa - They are indeed. Hope you feel normal soon ;-)

    Lilac - I know how terrible people can be, but somehow I can't get used to that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Melissa - They are indeed. Hope you feel normal soon ;-)

    Lilac - I know how terrible people can be, but somehow I can't get used to that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I must say that I am never ever surprised at the ignorance of folks who only view things from their perspective. I have always been curious (an Aries curious, surely not) and took so many comparative religion and inter religious classes in college and wanted to know what others believed. I never saw how that was gonna be bad for me....not until I was told so later on in life.
    Like you I can see and know that ugly, evil and insane come in all colors, religions, creeds and neighborhoods. Unfortunate but true. Poor parents, that would be a burden I don't know if I could carry.
    Hope getting out will help it move through you dear one. Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so hard for some people to believe that it's okay to do the right thing because it is the right thing, not because of some deity demanding it...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Some people are strange and enraging. It seems like they go so deep into themselves that they forget others have the same right to choose what they want, even if it doesn't fit their worldview.

    ReplyDelete