My Favorite Witches in Fiction: Elphie and Granny Weatherwax

The world of witchy fiction is filled with wonderful women and men who have charmed me. I’ve come to love so many of them… but only two have truly enchanted my witchy heart of hearts: Elphaba Thropp and Esmerelda Weatherwax.
Elphaba (Wicked Witch of the West) Thropp: She is green. She is an activist. She fights for those who can’t fight for themselves. She falls in love with a man, with life, with living and with the idea of a world where every living being has the same chance of doing exactly what she, he, it… wants. I love my Elphie because she has witchy spunk. If you haven’t read Wicked by Gregory Maguire, give it a go. There are some parts where good old Greg gets long winded, but don’t fright; the rest of the good wickedness will make up for it.
Esmerelda (Granny) Weatherwax: She isn’t green, but she packs all of Elphie’s witchy punch and then some. I’ve always said (Okay, so this is the first time I’m saying it, but I will always say it from now on) that Granny Weatherwax is Sir Terry Pratchett’s witchy alter ego on steroids. This witch’s wise words have touched me in ways few fictional (or real) characters have. I think that my Lady’s views on sin are awesome proof of her witchy wit: “Sin… is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That’s what sin is.” Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett. Why cease the day, my luvs, when you can grab life by the throat?

Why do you admire you favorite fictional witch, my Wicked Darlings?
*Answering this question, in a thoughtful way, will get you an extra entry on giveaways 1, 7 and 13.

***
The beautiful Elphie comes straight out of the genius of Siddartha.Babbii. And this gorgeous Granny Weatherwax oozed out of the magical creative juices of Zenzzen.

Share |

11 comments:

  1. Many years ago, I interviewed Terry Pratchett for a student magazine. It must have been about 20 years ago, when he had only written about book 4 or 5 of his Diskworld series. He told me that of all the characters he identified with, he felt he was most like Granny Weatherwax - that she reflected his personal views most accurately.
    It seems you have hit the nail on the head, Magaly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore both Elphaba and Granny Weatherwax - my favorite fiction witch, though, is Marion Zimmer Bradley's take on Morgan le Fay (Morgaine). She's another strong witchy woman with a lot of negative press, but in the Mists of Avalon, you get the Arthrian legend from her perspective - she's very strong, very tough, very human. Love her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel - You might have just become the coolest person I know. I met Gabriel García Márquez (one of my favorite writers) when I was 18, and I was in the clouds. I can't wait for the day I meet Sir Terry.

    LyndaB - I do love a strong witch, especially if she is as human as moi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol! I was distinctly uncool. My muddy trainers shed all over his cream carpet and I left my tape recorder behind. Not exactly slick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS My hubby LOVES Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel - That was too hilarious; I can just imagine, but you still cool. And tell your hubby he has great taste ;-) I've read everything of Márquez I've gotten my hand into (which is almost everything he has written, excluding some of his nonfiction). I'm almost done rereading all of Pratchett's books (I have 6 left, plus the newest one. After I'm done with my Writing Knight, I'm moving to re-enjoying my favorite Magical Realist Being; I can hardly wait to reread BIG MAMA'S FUNERAL, OF LOVE AND OTHER DEMONS... and all my other faves of his!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, my dear, if I were still in NJ we definitely would have needed to meet for coffee and witchy chat because we are way too damn similar not too!

    You'll give a giggle when you see what I'm working on for the blog party; I won't leave an answer to the question here because it will be up on my blog today or tomorrow. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. WoooHooo! Can't wait to read it. And I know about the meeting thing, but one day a bunch of us will get together and case some serious magical mayhem. If Diandra and I are in the same room, you better be there with all your sweetness, for we can darking (in the best of ways) a lot of space ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. WoooHooo! Can't wait to read it. And I know about the meeting thing, but one day a bunch of us will get together and case some serious magical mayhem. If Diandra and I are in the same room, you better be there with all your sweetness, for we can darking (in the best of ways) a lot of space ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rachel - That was too hilarious; I can just imagine, but you still cool. And tell your hubby he has great taste ;-) I've read everything of Márquez I've gotten my hand into (which is almost everything he has written, excluding some of his nonfiction). I'm almost done rereading all of Pratchett's books (I have 6 left, plus the newest one. After I'm done with my Writing Knight, I'm moving to re-enjoying my favorite Magical Realist Being; I can hardly wait to reread BIG MAMA'S FUNERAL, OF LOVE AND OTHER DEMONS... and all my other faves of his!

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS My hubby LOVES Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

    ReplyDelete