Magnificent Witches of the Wizard(ish) Persuasion

One of the things I love most about Urban Fantasy is that many of the authors who write it refer to their male magic users as witches. Did you meet Ryan yet? Yep, a hot witch there; and he is a guy! However, Ryan and I aren’t that close yet, for I haven’t read his tale. My favorite male witches (as of today) are actually of the wizard(ish) persuasion:    
Gandalf the Grey – I know what you are thinking, who wouldn’t like Gandalf and his mischievous good boy trapped inside a wise old man ways? If you don’t like the old scruffy witchy wizard, I advise you keep your feelings to yourself. I can be quite irrational when it comes to him… and to Granny… and to Elphie... and to anyone who dare think they can drive my car… I do recognize that I my unwillingness to let anyone but my father or my Piano Man drive my car might be a bit extreme, but my admiration for Gandalf the Grey—or the bleached if you think about his character at the end of trilogy—leaves no room for things as mundane as freedom of speech or personal preference. And if you are even thinking about arguing with me, do remember that “I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor! The Dark Fire will not avail you, Flame of Ud√Ľn! Go back to the Shadow!! You [or your un-witchy thoughts] shall not pass!!!” —Gandalf and then me.
Belgarath the Ancient and Beloved – I adore this witchy wizard for some of the same reasons I luv Gandalf—Belgarath was a rebel. He was born to misfortune; in the first years of his life, he had to steal to eat. He almost didn’t make it to Ancient, but Fate and Aldur seemed to work in similar mysterious ways. Belgarath could have played the hand life dealt him and become a useless scoundrel, but no. He used his will and chose differently. He became a useful, educated, and extremely powerful witchy scoundrel who would only kick your ass, back to the pit you crawled out of, if you really deserved it—or if you were too annoying, which was totally understandable. Wanna know what I like most about Belgarath? Of course you do, so I’ll tell you: he defied his nature (and the expectations of the people of his time) in order to pursue love, to help those in need, and to defend his beliefs. 

So… my Wicked Darlings, who is your favorite male witch or the wizard(ish) persuation?

*Read today’s digest (available after 10:13am) to learn how to get extra entries for a super hot giveaway!
Share |

11 comments:

  1. Honestly, I don't think I have a favorite male witch/Wizard. And now I'm wondering why that is...

    ReplyDelete
  2. BELGARATH!!! I love him so much! I was an avid reader of The Belgariad, The Malloreon, The Eleniun and The Tamuli back in the day, and am now introducing them to Owen. I know people slate them for being overly simplistic, but so what!?

    Oooh, I really will have to dig them out and re-read them again. (Like I don't have enough to read already thanks to you!!! :P)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diandra - I wonder, wonder, wonder...

    Mich - I'm on the same boat lol. I no longer have my copies (I read the series overseas and bringing all my books back was more expensive than buying them again) so I'll add them to my Amazon Wishlist. My Piano Man and I are thinking about reading them together. I can't wait to spent some some with Belgarath and Polgara too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up on Lord of the Rings, Gandalf is hands down my favorite magical man!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gandalf, of course! There is none wiser than he.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up with Gandalf. My dad loved the LOTR, and talked about it so much growing up that I plugged through The Hobbit in third grade. In 5th, I read the trilogy and I bawled when Gandalf fell into the abyss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Danni - "Magical Man" sounds like a great name for Gandalf... or a band lol

    Mina - He seems to be the man, or Magical Man, of the moment!

    Colleen - I didn't have the pleasure of reading the LOTR until I was an adult, but I've been in love with wise old Gandalf ever since!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These three may be a bit offbeat..I love their magickal ways.
    Rupert Giles from BTVS
    Connor Grey from Mark Del Franco's Connor Grey series
    and Harry Dresden from the Dresden Files.(the books and series)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I grew up with Gandalf. My dad loved the LOTR, and talked about it so much growing up that I plugged through The Hobbit in third grade. In 5th, I read the trilogy and I bawled when Gandalf fell into the abyss.

    ReplyDelete
  10. BELGARATH!!! I love him so much! I was an avid reader of The Belgariad, The Malloreon, The Eleniun and The Tamuli back in the day, and am now introducing them to Owen. I know people slate them for being overly simplistic, but so what!?

    Oooh, I really will have to dig them out and re-read them again. (Like I don't have enough to read already thanks to you!!! :P)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These three may be a bit offbeat..I love their magickal ways.
    Rupert Giles from BTVS
    Connor Grey from Mark Del Franco's Connor Grey series
    and Harry Dresden from the Dresden Files.(the books and series)

    ReplyDelete