My Creature Factory – Guest post by Marcia Colette

First, a huge thank-you to Magaly for having me.  I have an urban fantasy hangout to thank for bringing us together for how many years?  It sure doesn’t feel like it’s been that long.  :-)

StellarCon was the first convention where I wasn’t assigned a vampire panel.  Not that I have anything against vampires, but I don’t write them. There’s a brief mention of one in the last chapter in Stripped, but that’s about it.  Still, that doesn’t stop someone from saying, “But you write paranormal, and you don’t write vampires?”

No.  I write anything else but.  Why write about vampires when there are so many authors who are already doing a great job at it.  They don’t need my lopsided, long-tooth stories added to them.  And trust me I’ve tried.  It’s like Justine Bieber trying to belt it out like Pavarotti.  Writing vampires is just not happening for me. 

There are so many creatures left unexplored.  I thought it was great when Rachel Vincent decided to write YA she wrote about a teenage bean sidhe (banshee) and not a vampire, a dhampir, or a vampire hunter.  She also didn’t go the I-see-ghosts route either.  Again, not a bad trope, but I preferred to use the sixth sense in a different way.  A telekinetic way.  And since I wasn’t happy with keeping it simple, I added schizophrenia into the mix and made both hereditary.  You don’t get one without getting the other in Bittersweet

So far, I have a werewolf hybrid, an invisible college student, hags, a modern-day Frankenstein, and a dozen or so doppelgangers.  With the creature factory I have going on, it’s really hard to keep up with the trends and I don’t care to.  I like exploring new things and twisting the old.

When I started reading Laurell K. Hamilton’s The Laughing Corpse, I had no idea what a necromancer was or what they did.  Wow was that a learning experience.  Plus, it hooked me to the point that read everything she had written.  I was so depressed when I found out it would be a while before Obsidian Butterfly was released, I decided to write my own story.  That started me on my current path and taught me to think outside the box.  That’s what I call an impact.

If you can find the right monster, they can change what you choose to read and/or write.  They’ll make you want more and you won’t care if it’s the umpteenth vampire or your first shapeshifting arachnid. 

***
The best place to find Marcia Colette is on her blog where she loves connecting with readers and other writers.

If you want to know more about the madness behind her works and the universes she’s created, check out The Multi-Verse page.

12 comments:

  1. Inspiring! See, I adore Vampires and want to write them inside and out, but I do also love the Fantasy elements of Elves and Faeries and such...but do love my dark side as well. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SilverFox - I like reading about vampires and other life-sucking demons, but I'm more into magic, death and mythological creatures too. I think you might like Stripped, I loved it. There is certainly darkness there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read Paranormal Romance genre until I read OUT OF THE DARKNESS by Lilly Gayle and throughly enjoyed Lilly's book. Then I met Marcia Colette at a book signing, and I am now looking forward to reading BITTERSWEET. Both writers are amazing and I consider them my friends!
    Thanks!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished BITTERSWEET, and my jaw still hanging. Marcia better hurry and finish SILENT SCREAM, or else I might have to drive to NC and it won't be pretty lol.

    Marcia is a great friend indeed. I owe her quite a bit, maybe I'll tell her one of these days... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like running down to a bookstore now, great post... I still remember being a young teen & reading Carrie, I was so scared if I got angry one of my siblings may be hurt by a flying knife LOL... thank goodness I'm never THAT angry ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You don't have to run to the bookstore, you can download this creepy fix. I think you're going to love Phae and her siblings, and mom... well, mom has issues. And when Phae and mom get angry they don't turn grin, but things around them tend to "turn" broken and bloodied ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I don't win it, I'll have to buy it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was an interesting read. I spent have the time saying, oh my Phae is so grown up for her years. Then I read something else about how she grew up and sigh and nod.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely agree with not writing about more vampires. It's sad that a lot of people get stuck on one mythical creature when there are so many, many more. I'm glad you've chosen to add in some new characters in your books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You don't have to run to the bookstore, you can download this creepy fix. I think you're going to love Phae and her siblings, and mom... well, mom has issues. And when Phae and mom get angry they don't turn grin, but things around them tend to "turn" broken and bloodied ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I don't win it, I'll have to buy it...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read Paranormal Romance genre until I read OUT OF THE DARKNESS by Lilly Gayle and throughly enjoyed Lilly's book. Then I met Marcia Colette at a book signing, and I am now looking forward to reading BITTERSWEET. Both writers are amazing and I consider them my friends!
    Thanks!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete