Fiction is Real Life with Magic Spelled in the Right Places

The Magician of Oz Trilogy by James C. Wallace II – Book Review

Magician of Oz begins the tale of the great-grandson of O.Z. Diggs, the legendary Wizard of Oz. His name is Jamie Diggs, and he loves his father, his mother, his friends and magic; not the trickery of “charlatans”, but changes and illusions performed by those who understand the power of words and know how to use them in the right order.

If you’ve read any of my reviews, you already know how I feel about spoilers—they should be thrown in the dark pit of never-read-land. This will be no different. I will tell you that Jamie is from Indiana, and he travels to Oz in the most magical of ways, but you’ll have to read Magician of Oz to find out how he gets there. Don’t fright, mu luvs. I’m not made out of tin, and my witchy heart begs me to tell you a bit about the plot.   

Jamie Diggs is summoned to Oz in order to help Princess Ozma deal with a The Counsel of Trees. Jamie has enough common sense to listen to The Trees (after a bit of battle of course) and together with Princess Ozma, Princess Dorothy, and an army of fantastic friends, peace is achieved and lasting friendships are forged.
Shadow Demon of Oz brings Jamie, along with his best friend, Buddy, back to Oz. The Shadow Demon is filled with vengeful rage. Jamie and his friends face the fiend, and this time one of the members of the magical group has to make the ultimate sacrifice. In this volume of the trilogy, Wallace II presents a darker side of Oz, and puts the reader in the middle of a battle. Swords are drawn, bits of living shadow are severed, and more friendships are formed. Jamie and Buddy return to Indiana, but stay linked to Oz through Dorothy and Princess Ozma.
In Family of Oz, the last volume of the series, Jamie’s parents, Buddy’s dad, and our young heroes travel to Oz. They have time to explore the magical land in their own time and terms. They learn and teach as they discover Oz and its people. They unite in order to vanquish the destructive fires of evil. Their victory can be easily attributed to their understanding of family values and friendship.

My Witchy Thoughts: friends, family, food, and fabulous magic! Those were the feelings in my heart after I finished reading The Magician of Oz Trilogy. The main theme of the first two books is definitely friendship, and the last is all about what it means to be a family. Wallace II uses food to show just how much his characters care about each other. Mother Diggs uses her tasty potato soup to show “her boys” how much she loves them. They reciprocate by enjoying the feast, and making sure she always gets everything she wants—if they can afford it.

The great food doesn’t stay in Indiana, but is ever present in the magical meat, sauerkraut and pickle trees of The Land of Oz. I love the idea of a world where animals don’t eat each other; where trees get to say how much they despise those who chop them up; and were magic happens because the magician believes in—and respects—its power.

I did find myself distracted by the repetition of a few phrases. The most obvious was a parent’s “love being much too difficult to conceal.” I swear it appeared in every chapter and it drove me so nuts that I had to stop once. Then I asked myself, why is Wallace II trying to drive me crazy with this parent’s love bit? Then I remembered how The Princess (my Piano Man’s daughter) behaves when we read to her. She always wants to hear the best parts twice (or 20 times). The repetition ceased to annoy me, for the magical family values are the best parts of this trilogy; it is worth talking about it  often. And about friends... and about food... and about magic...  but you are not going to feel what I felt from a review, you must read the books to experience the real magical goodness.

“Carpe Noctum!!!”


Snatch The Magician of Oz Trilogy from Amazon, and enjoy it!

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful review! I will have to put this series on my list for must reads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This trilogy was on my list "just because", loyalty, curiosity and interst peeked before, but after your review I am even more intriqued. This very nice man even got in touch with me after C O and I thought that was very special....so his Momma musta talk him right too.
    Thanks for the encouragment and for being the chairperson of the get it done committee. I appreciate you and your tenacity as well as your lovely attitude. The Olde Bagg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent review Magaly ;o) Thanks so much for sharing ;o) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am personally gratified by the overwhelming show of Love and support from my fellow practitioners of magic.
    It was my goal to promote Love whenever and wherever possible. The Land of Oz provided just the means for delivering that message.
    As The Beatles once said... " Totus vos postulo est Diligo!"

    James C. Wallace II
    Royal Liaison to Princess Ozma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mina - It was a very fun read. I can't wait to read it to or with my nieces.

    Linda - WoooHooo! Chairperson. I am sooo looking forward to next year's celebration!

    Magic Love Crow - Welcome ;-)

    James - "Totus vos postulo est Diligo!" especially when we put some magic into it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am personally gratified by the overwhelming show of Love and support from my fellow practitioners of magic.
    It was my goal to promote Love whenever and wherever possible. The Land of Oz provided just the means for delivering that message.
    As The Beatles once said... " Totus vos postulo est Diligo!"

    James C. Wallace II
    Royal Liaison to Princess Ozma

    ReplyDelete