Embracing the Dark...and the Light – Guest Post by Polly Taskey

Let me break free of this shell of destruction,
the self-bashing thoughts and prolonged depression.
How tiring it is to waste days, months, and years,
held captive to my own insignificant fears.

Let me look on the past and mistakes in my life,
embracing the darkness, the pain, and the strife.
To make the transition and finally let go,
of the guilt that I carry, the hurt that I know.

Let the future I ache for be within reach,
guide me towards light; to You I beseech.
My wants and desires are so trivially small -
do I not deserve any, not any at all?

Let me find wisdom in the haunts of my past,
to move forward with pride, self-assurance at last!
Shedding the old, the battered, and used,
making room for the strengths which You have imbued.

Let me walk in the path of Your guiding light,
softly speaking and teaching of all that is right.
Cherishing moments - each one fleeting past,
making memories of smiles, a lifetime to last.
________________________________________________________________

Known in the Pagan community as the “Green Witch”, Polly Taskey is descended from Mary Bradbury (Perkins). She utilizes her writing talents to bring you Pagan by Design Blog and Message Boards. If sharing this entry elsewhere, this byline must be included with a link back.

10 comments:

  1. This poem made me gasp a little. I was touched by every word. I felt the speaker's desperation. Then I felt the speaker spoke to ME when I read "Let me find wisdom in the haunts of my past." I used to erased the things/people/experiences that annoyed me or hurt me. It took a long time for me to realize that everything that happened to me could be used for something positive. Once I processed that, the big bad past didn't feel so scary.

    I just love when a piece of writing speaks to me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me want to cry. Love it. I have a nasty habit of just trying to ignore things that have happened to me, too. May I also learn to embrace them. I would love to write this down (with permission) and put it in my Book of Shadows. I think it's a much needed addition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a Gal, you are welcome to include the poem in your Book of Shadows. I am so glad it has touched others - the poem mirrors my difficult life along with the hopes and dreams I still maintain. It's good to know that I am not alone in having feelings such as these.

    Bright Blessings! Polly

    ReplyDelete
  4. This poem is so very beautiful. So full of life's realities. For it is only when we embrace our darkness can it then be transformed into light. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is always good to see ad dirrernce in expression

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. There are no words. I loved it. Makes you really think and feel for that person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is absolutely beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing Polly and Magaly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad everyone feels the way I do about this poem. The first time I read it, I had to stop a time or two before continuing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wanted to pop by your blog and thank you so much for your wonderful comments on my journal pages. I really do hope that you will join us in art journaling and you can only share your work when you like it :)
    Blessings & Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm almost done with my first contribution. It has been a NEW fun experience.

    ReplyDelete