Dark, Uncannily Beautiful; Dark

Sonnet 130
William Shakespeare

My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;
Coral is far more red than her lips' red;
If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.
I have seen roses damasked, red and white,
But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
And in some perfumes is there more delight
Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
That music hath a far more pleasing sound;
I grant I never saw a goddess go;
My mistress when she walks treads on the ground.
     And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
     As any she belied with false compare.

I know what you are thinking, “For someone who is not crazy about poetry, Magaly sure posts a lot of it.” Well, I’m blaming it on Sarita, on my new poetry professor, on Dark Haiku Moon, on Shakespeare’s Dark Lady Sonnets and on the stimulating energies of the Dark Moon.

Enjoy Shakespeare’s Dark Lady, and if the magic of these old, ever new words inspire you to create something mysterious, delicious and beautiful, do share it with those of us who crave a bit of Pagan Fiction in 113 Words or Less

10 comments:

  1. Shakespeare give me goosebumps :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penny - He is growing on me. Fast.

    SilverFox - Sonnets 130 and 144 are my favorites. They are just so different and real that they make me feel things ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've ever read any of his work, but did get to go see MidSummers Night Dream in high school and adored it.

    Thank you for the comment. I have never really completely chosen one God/Goddess before but recently have definitely felt the need to attune to one more than the other. Of course some rituals and spells are better calling upon others, but I suppose I just want to connect with them and know they're there always type a deal...

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol Hey, why blame me? I've merely suggested poetry for you to read. I haven't forced you to do anything. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh, but blaming you is much more fun ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. SilverFox - I definitely get attuning to a particular god, especially for specific times. For instance, when I'm in trouble that require my backbone to be um... a bit more pronounced no one makes me feel as strong as the Morrigan, even if Hekate seems to be the one who is always by my side. ALWAYS. She won't go away! And I know she'll smack me on the side of the head if I get too silly. There are times when I wonder if it isn't just the spirit of my maternal grandmother all dressed up and scowling a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SilverFox - I definitely get attuning to a particular god, especially for specific times. For instance, when I'm in trouble that require my backbone to be um... a bit more pronounced no one makes me feel as strong as the Morrigan, even if Hekate seems to be the one who is always by my side. ALWAYS. She won't go away! And I know she'll smack me on the side of the head if I get too silly. There are times when I wonder if it isn't just the spirit of my maternal grandmother all dressed up and scowling a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol Hey, why blame me? I've merely suggested poetry for you to read. I haven't forced you to do anything. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Penny - He is growing on me. Fast.

    SilverFox - Sonnets 130 and 144 are my favorites. They are just so different and real that they make me feel things ;-)

    ReplyDelete