Sex, Darkness, and Gods of Blood

“You might not remember me, but I’m the mother of the boy who said ‘I’ve never seen a brown Witch before. You must be powerful. If I could do magic I would get a really nice tan too.’ My Dark Elf and I need your help.”

I’m not going to paste the entire email, but the lines above made me laugh so hard that I had to share them. Of course I remember the little Dark Elf all dressed up in full Marine Corps digital camouflaged uniform and combat boots. I even remember his smiling little face the evening I met his family at a Morrigan Circle, held in Chesapeake Bay, Maryland a few years ago.

It was during a difficult period for Marines and their families; a lot of service members were being killed. A fellow Pagan had recently loss one of his sons to the war, and was extra afraid for the one who remained deployed. His wife, and mother of the deceased Marine, was a Morrigan worshiper; she wanted to quench the Crow Goddess’s thirst with a ritual, to see if her offering kept her from claiming the blood of her other child.

The mother wanted to form a circle of 13 Witches, and gather as many people as possible under the Blood Moon. I volunteered as one of the 13 who would dance for the Morrigan. It was a powerful event. And if someone had seen it from afar, they would have probably run for dear life. We wore white raggedy skirts and handmade camouflaged tops, which were donated by Pagan families with children fighting in Iraq. The youngsters, who attended the circle, joined their mothers, grandmothers, aunts, sisters… and together they crushed hundreds of berries that stained their feet black, blue, purple and red. The fathers and other grownup male relatives pelted the crushed results at the dancers while we twirled, chanted and raised energy for the Morrigan.  

The results of our combined efforts: 13 Witches covered in a fruity gooey substance that resembled blood and gore, surrounded by dozens of energy-high Pagan families.

And what does this have to do with a funny boy who thought brown Witches were cool? Well, the boy’s parents are no longer married. They went their separate ways a year after the Morrigan ritual, and were awarded shared custody of their son. The boy is now a 14-year-old teenage Witch with excellent grades, the mother and her boyfriend own a specialty shop, the dad got out of the Marine Corps, remarried and converted to Christianity. He also took the mother to court for full custody of their child. His reasoning? “The woman who is now my ex-wife is raising my son in an environment full of sex, darkness and gods of blood.” He offered the court pictures of the Morrigan ritual as proof of the mother’s unfitness to raise a healthy child.

Can you believe that conniving piece of shit?

I won’t waste my time telling you what I think of him and his methods, but I do want to say that I’m glad the court saw through his newly found stupidity. I feel sorry for the son because he had to sit in front of strangers, and watch his mother cry, while his then 12-year-old crackling voice explained “Mom is a good person. Her magic sucks. She can’t dance and I think the gods grant her wishes so she’ll stop singing for them, but she doesn’t kill things. She doesn’t even eat meat, but she is okay when I do. She makes faces when I eat burgers, but that’s because it grosses her out.”

I remember sitting in court, in uniform, listening to the boy’s statement and trying my best to look like the lean, mean, fighting witchy machine I’ve always been. But yes, I giggled under my breath and my eyes were shiny.

***

The custody case has been finalized. I got an email yesterday morning that made me grin with delight. It began like this, “It seems that Witches of sex, darkness and gods of blood make good mamas too.” 

I don’t have all the details, but I know the witchy mother has full custody of her boy, and the father only gets to see him under supervision and ONLY if the boy wants to. I’m not sure how things got so complicated for the dad, but I can’t say that I feel sorry for him. I do feel bad for a boy who has to grow up without his biological father. However, when a parent is as worthless as that lying heap of dung has proven to be, then Fate and the courts know best. 

21 comments:

  1. Lol @ the Kid's comment "they grant her wishes so she'll stop singing" love that!! I'm glad she retained her custody, and Morrigan rituals are always powerful,and gruesome. Thanks for sharing this Be Blessed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh excellent! funny that a christian would claim that witchery was sex, darkness and gods of blood when christianity has caused the deaths of more people on this planet than just about everything else combined.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's just sad that a parent would put their kid through that. I'm a christian but my practice wouldn't support this type of thing. I think the ceremony? (is that the right word) sounds beautiful and deeply meaningful. I sincerely hope the boy practices in the way that is right for him, that makes him feel connected, and doesn't dwell too much on this fiasco.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel sometimes that the Gods feel the same about me as the boy's mom! Please, stop singing... we'll give you whatever you ask, just stop! Hehehe.

    It sounds like the boy's got a good head on his shoulders and a great mama standing behind him. It's a shame his father turned into such a loony tune, but the Gods and Courts have done the right thing in keeping him from trying to force his new found crazy onto his son.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is horrifying, beautiful, sweet, sad, rage-inducing, crazy-making and inspiring all at once.

    In the end, all I can say is: I'm glad the court had some sense. What a sweet boy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow...that is sooo low of the father. I am so happy the courts saw through it, and the boy's statement would have been hard not to giggle at. So happy he's happy with his mom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Custody battles are never pretty. Glad it turned out okay!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad that this custody turned out well for the kid. It must have been terrible while it was under way, though.

    The Morrigan Circle must have been amazing to take part in. I can just imagine how scary it would have looked to people who didn't know what it was!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awe as long as th child is happy thats all that matters. Good for her and good for her son.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fathers like him make good Christians look horrible and it makes me so angry! I am glad to hear the momma got her son and pray only the best for both of them!!

    \IiiI

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aisha - It was a funny thing. And you should have seen his face too, even the judge's eyes crinkled a bit.

    Ellen - The world is full of very stupid ironies, isn't it?

    G.P. Ching - It is one of the things that angers me the most. There are many archaic teachings in the Christian bible, but following common sense one would realize that such things belong in their times. Most of my family is Christian, my big brother is one of the most devout people I know, he would never approve this behavior.

    Danni - "force his new found crazy onto his son." that made me chuckle.

    Kate - He is a very lucky Dark Elf, isn't he?

    SilverFox - Indeed.

    Debra - You know, I understood they were ruthless, but I never knew they went for this long. It took years!

    Sarita - The Morrigan is a scary goddess, isn't she? I do love her gatherings, maybe because of all the bloody bits lol

    The StarFire Witch/Bald Girl - That is all that matters.

    Penny - You know, I thought a lot before revealing that the idiot had converted to Christianity. I didn't want people to think that it is Christianity's fault because it clearly isn't. I just thought that it was important to point out that he wanted to blame his stupidity and irresponsible behavior on religion and use religion as a weapon too. He makes me sick.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will (hopefully) never understand how people who used to love each other can turn on their former spouses like that. And I am glad things turned out well for the witch and her boy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How can love turn so hateful!?! It always amazes me...and quickly too!!!! I too feel sorry for the boy...he needs his father too! Sigh! Oh well...when you try to play dirty...it usually splashes on you too!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Diandra and SueAnn - You would think that after loving each other, two people would at least have some consideration, but divorce changes people in the most terrible of ways. It is very, very sad when children are involve and end up being the ones paying for their parents' bad lack of good judgment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Depending on what state that case took place in, that guy didn't have a shot in the dark, anyway. The boy was 12 by then, and in most states, it's 12-14 that the child has all the say as to where he wants to live, usually there has to be extenuating circumstances for the court to overrule the decision of the child in question. So, it sounds to me like the Dad got all high and mighty, like certain Christians tend to do, and decided to piss up rope, which is always fun. Then the court decided to remind him that pissing up a rope only results in him having pee on his face and nothing much else.

    The fact dear old Dad only has supervised visits is interesting. Sounds like there was some really warped stuff going on for that to happen. Either way, bravo for the court, and hurray for the kid and his mother not having to put up with prejudice and ignorance!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The story is long, complicated, and not exactly mine to tell, but you are so right; there were some serious issues going on. I can tell you I was shocked, and I am not easily surprised. The worse feeling is that I thought I knew the dad. We were friends. I met his ex-wife and child through him. The day I saw him in court, he acted and looked like a different person. It was unnerving... I talked to his mom and sister, they are Christian (and absolutely ashamed of him). His mom is very sad and his sister told me that she liked him better when he was Pagan.

    I think that it is unfair to blame any of his stupidity on Christianity. When I wrote the post, I considered not adding the religion, but the fact that he used religion as the backbone for his request to the courts kind of made the issue about religion.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad that everything worked out for the best interests of the child. So often, their wishes are ignored in favour of what the parent might want, and for that parent to behave in such an underhand manner...I would get annoyed, but he lost out in the end. The Universe knows best!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Universe is smart indeed ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Universe is smart indeed ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aisha - It was a funny thing. And you should have seen his face too, even the judge's eyes crinkled a bit.

    Ellen - The world is full of very stupid ironies, isn't it?

    G.P. Ching - It is one of the things that angers me the most. There are many archaic teachings in the Christian bible, but following common sense one would realize that such things belong in their times. Most of my family is Christian, my big brother is one of the most devout people I know, he would never approve this behavior.

    Danni - "force his new found crazy onto his son." that made me chuckle.

    Kate - He is a very lucky Dark Elf, isn't he?

    SilverFox - Indeed.

    Debra - You know, I understood they were ruthless, but I never knew they went for this long. It took years!

    Sarita - The Morrigan is a scary goddess, isn't she? I do love her gatherings, maybe because of all the bloody bits lol

    The StarFire Witch/Bald Girl - That is all that matters.

    Penny - You know, I thought a lot before revealing that the idiot had converted to Christianity. I didn't want people to think that it is Christianity's fault because it clearly isn't. I just thought that it was important to point out that he wanted to blame his stupidity and irresponsible behavior on religion and use religion as a weapon too. He makes me sick.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Depending on what state that case took place in, that guy didn't have a shot in the dark, anyway. The boy was 12 by then, and in most states, it's 12-14 that the child has all the say as to where he wants to live, usually there has to be extenuating circumstances for the court to overrule the decision of the child in question. So, it sounds to me like the Dad got all high and mighty, like certain Christians tend to do, and decided to piss up rope, which is always fun. Then the court decided to remind him that pissing up a rope only results in him having pee on his face and nothing much else.

    The fact dear old Dad only has supervised visits is interesting. Sounds like there was some really warped stuff going on for that to happen. Either way, bravo for the court, and hurray for the kid and his mother not having to put up with prejudice and ignorance!

    ReplyDelete