Pagan Elements in Fiction… a Definition

I received a few emails from Wicked Darlings asking me to “provide a definition for Pagan Elements in Fiction”. They want to participate in Pagan Fiction in 113 Words or Less, but they are not sure if their prospective contributions are “Pagan enough.”

The emails made me giggle; not only because I’m so FREAKING thrilled that more of you are thinking about submitting your art for our enjoyment, but because the idea of a Pagan measuring scale is just too hysterical.

I read all the emails several times, but to be honest, I had the answer before I had finished reading the first inquiry: if your work is Pagan enough for you then it is Pagan enough for me, my luvs. No one should have the right to dictate how Pagan a person needs to be, in order to be Pagan enough. I share Fire Lyte’s opinion when it comes to how Pagan you (or your fiction) need to be. So I’ll answer your question, of whether or not your work is Pagan enough with an invitation: I urge you to show me, and the rest of the Wicked Darlings, what is Pagan Enough to you.

Here are three things that I feel are very Pagan, but might not apply to others:
- A mirror (spelled to repel harmful intentions) facing an outside window
- 3 Rosemary leafs in my detergent and disinfectant bottles   
- A memorized mildly harmless but nasty curse to discourage incoming idiocy

Talking about curses and idiots…

To the author of “From the Supreme Lord to the Pointy Hat Whore” story: catchy title, but no, your story isn’t Pagan. It is a sickness spread by the rotten infection that is you, and everyone else like you. By the way, if you are getting headaches, stomach aches and your breath stinks like something died inside you, do understand that I'm not sorry. You see, I am a Witch, and the whole turning the other cheek bit doesn’t quite fit my philosophy. I hope you forever fester in the rotting juices of your own intolerant words, my fiend. 

But enough about Mr. Rotten Supreme Lord. Why don’t I go back to the main point of this post: what is Pagan Enough to you, my Wicked Darlings? Care to share some examples of things/behaviors/beliefs that you consider Pagan, but others might not?

Oh... if anyone cursed Mr. Rotten Supreme Lord, I suspect that the hex was inspired by the novel Like Water for Chocolate. Yep, there is a bit of magical realist witchiness everywhere you look.

10 comments:

  1. Pardon me, Magaly, I just have to say this quickly to your silly Supreme Lord author (which, by the way, makes me laugh hysterically): I'm always really surprised to learn that people of your caliber even know how to write in the first place. Then, in the end, my doubts are always merited when I find out you folks never made it past the 10th grade. Knowing how to piece a sentence together does not an author make, Tea Party Freak. I would call you much more, but unlike you, I want to stick to the facts I know for certain. Enjoy your indigestion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't even go ther about the festering one. But what I do have to say is how lovely it is to know you and see how you are such an advocate for others to find the "bard" inside. You are terrific and I just had to say so.....SO. XOXO The Olde Bagg, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. You ask a challenging question! I don't tend to even think about these things from day to day to day.

    Let me see. What is a part of my witch-life but is otherwise mundane?

    Oh I know. Sticks and stones. So common, so abundant, so vital to my home and my practice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Linda!! You are a treasure for sure!
    Hugging you
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Just A Gal, you go girl! Tell him lol. What he sent me pissed me off, it was stupid, racist and so narrowed-minded that I didn't know what to say... at first. The only thing that never crossed my mind was posting that garbage. I'm telling you, people have issues.

    @Linda and SueAnn, you guys are too lovely!

    @Lis, I LOVE sticks and stones! and shells and cones. There is something special about those bits of Nature...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestly, I worried about the same thing, but what is not Pagan Enough? Who is to dictate that? My stubbornness and opinionated nature always puts me at ease. :-)

    Off to read others works. Loving them thus far!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew hard pigheadedness was a virtue under certain conditions!

    I'm glad you're enjoying yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew hard pigheadedness was a virtue under certain conditions!

    I'm glad you're enjoying yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I won't even go ther about the festering one. But what I do have to say is how lovely it is to know you and see how you are such an advocate for others to find the "bard" inside. You are terrific and I just had to say so.....SO. XOXO The Olde Bagg, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pardon me, Magaly, I just have to say this quickly to your silly Supreme Lord author (which, by the way, makes me laugh hysterically): I'm always really surprised to learn that people of your caliber even know how to write in the first place. Then, in the end, my doubts are always merited when I find out you folks never made it past the 10th grade. Knowing how to piece a sentence together does not an author make, Tea Party Freak. I would call you much more, but unlike you, I want to stick to the facts I know for certain. Enjoy your indigestion. :)

    ReplyDelete