Raw from Breakfast to Dinner Witch

The year after I moved to the US I passed enough kidney stones to build a very tiny medieval castle. My uric acid levels were higher than the current national debt. The process was usually painful, but with plenty of fluid intake I could manage. One day, I was rushed to the hospital because the pain was beyond excruciating. I’ll skip the part about me screaming like a lunatic, and said that I was released the next day with a prescription to reduced kidney stones and some mild changes to my diets.

Things went well for years, then a four wheeler ran me over, and I had to be on my stomach for a long, long time. I don’t know if it was the lack of exercise, or the fact that I couldn’t make my own meals, or maybe my tiny medieval castle needed stones for a tiny tower, who knows? But for whatever reason the stones came back.

My hip surgeon put me on a strict anti-Hispanic diet, which dictated no dried beans or peas, gravy, tomatoes, organs, sugary drinks, sardines, alcohol and a few other things. I wanted to punch the man (Yes, Dr. P, you were right; that was murder in my eyes!). I didn’t care about the alcohol because I didn’t drink, but I was devastated about my beans, sodas and my precious tomatoes.

The diet was less restrictive after I was back on my feet, but I still couldn’t eat certain things. Dr. P also gave me a series of teas (I love my Witch Surgeon, even if I wanted to punch him when he told me about my new inhumane diet. I also wanted to kick him, and I might have or have not cursed at him when he removed my stitches).

After my uric acid levels were stable for a few years, Dr. P said I could start eating some of the things I really loved—tomatoes—to see how my body reacted to it. My witchy body did just fine. I got to the point where I could eat a couple of servings of my favorite foods a year. Two years ago, Dr. P wanted to test my uric acid levels under stressful conditions—after fasting—and even then my results were those of a healthy person of my age.

Today was my last, after fasting, test (I hope). He ordered some alterations to my diet starting January 2nd:  5 days vegan, 5 days raw, 3 days juicing, 1 day water, and a day of starving to death! I always hate the last part.

I’ll get the results next week, but Dr. P already said that he is almost sure I’m “all good to go”. I’m hoping for a clean bill of health; on the tummy department at least. I have enough with my hip and shoulder issues. However, even if everything is great and my body is as sexy inside as it is on the outside*grin*, I’ll continue to avoid most of the foods that hurt my tummy. I am also thinking about going raw from breakfast to dinner. I might even fast once a month, but that is just to have a reason to be mean—this Witch gets cranky when she is hungry.

I’m smiling now. I’m getting ready to eat my first cooked meal in days: a cup of soup. Freaking delicious! 

20 comments:

  1. Ye'ouch my dear! As painful as some things are I don't think I could ever give up my beloved, fresh, raw tomatoes. *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went through a similar stage a couple of years back, a friend suggested switching to bottled water from tap for drinking, and I haven't had a problem since. Weird. All I can think of is our hard rural tap water was just enough too much mineral to tip the balance.
    Of course, I also started drinking more water, as well as avoiding dehydration. Gets pretty hot here in the summer, so that can be a problem too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. William -- If you think it's a problem with minerals in the tap water you can attach a water purifier to your kitchen faucet. That's what my family (usually) does before drinking tap water in our house because of minerals in the water.

    Magaly -- I'm glad you're doing better, and not having kidney stones anymore. I've never had one, but I've heard how painful they are. I know one guy who says that after his kidney stone he understands how painful it is for women to give birth.

    Enjoy your soup! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Danni, I totally understand. They are so yummy!

    @William, I think that my biggest problem was soft drinks; I didn't drink them much when I lived in the Dominican Republic because we couldn't afford that kind of luxuries. I started drinking them like water (or instead of) and down came the stones.

    @Sarita, I joke about that day saying that I was in labor for nearly a day and didn't even get to name my rocky babies lol. It was the worse pain I've felt in my life, and you must consider that I've both my hip and shoulder came out of their sockets at one point; so yes, PAINFUL. And my soup was GREAT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch, that sucks. Our bodies can be pretty stubborn when it comes to food they don't like... min has bullied me back into the food it likes best every time I've tried to make changes... luckily, we agree on most things (as long as it gets enough water and vegetables).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Magaly, you should totally check out Nathalie Lussier for some tasty recipes and great ideas here: http://rawfoodswitch.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. ~ah...happy testing is done and will be continuing to send forth my happy healing thoughts and wishes to remain with you...i hope you enjoyed your souop last night...hehehe...warm wishes and brightest blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have done the kidney stones myself...ouch is right! I also did gall stones and lost my gall bladder! Another ouch! But at least I won't have gall stones anymore! Ha!
    Hope your soup was fabulous!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anti-Hispanic??? Ugh...just shoot me in that case lol!

    Do what you have to do to be all nice and healthy. Fasting isn't bad if you don't focus on the not eating, but focus on your writing, or something equally as witchy and nummy.

    Go get em tigerlily!

    \IiiI

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Diandra, they are indeed and they are usually right, aren't they?

    @Stella, I'll definitely take a look-see!

    @Fairwillow, that was the best soup I've ever have; even if it was only broth and about 3 noodles lol.

    @SueAnn, ouch right back! And I LOVE how you focus on the positive ;-)

    @Penny, our (Dominican) signature meal is rice, beans and some kind of meat of poultry--Dr. P took away 2/3 of my eating heritage. I used to tease him and tell him that he was just racist. And you are right, that is one of the reasons why I was blogging/reading blogs and so many novels these last two weeks. The distraction kept me from screaming at random people on the street. But I can't do a lot of my writing during a long fasting period; somehow all my characters end up dead.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard that dark cherries help with uric acid...you might try adding them to your soup...teehee...glad things are looking up...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Magaly, poor you! Hope everything is ok and you can eat more tomatoes. I can't imagine life without them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Judy, I eat A LOT of berries. I just wish they were a bit cheaper during the cold months.

    @Lyn, I'm alright. I can't go crazy with the tomatoes, but I can sure eat a few ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can not imagine how painful all of this has been all this time. I know about tummy issues because I have my share of that, as well. I hope you get the answers you deserve on that! Mmmm....soup!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I get the results on Monday! Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Judy, I eat A LOT of berries. I just wish they were a bit cheaper during the cold months.

    @Lyn, I'm alright. I can't go crazy with the tomatoes, but I can sure eat a few ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anti-Hispanic??? Ugh...just shoot me in that case lol!

    Do what you have to do to be all nice and healthy. Fasting isn't bad if you don't focus on the not eating, but focus on your writing, or something equally as witchy and nummy.

    Go get em tigerlily!

    \IiiI

    ReplyDelete
  18. William -- If you think it's a problem with minerals in the tap water you can attach a water purifier to your kitchen faucet. That's what my family (usually) does before drinking tap water in our house because of minerals in the water.

    Magaly -- I'm glad you're doing better, and not having kidney stones anymore. I've never had one, but I've heard how painful they are. I know one guy who says that after his kidney stone he understands how painful it is for women to give birth.

    Enjoy your soup! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I went through a similar stage a couple of years back, a friend suggested switching to bottled water from tap for drinking, and I haven't had a problem since. Weird. All I can think of is our hard rural tap water was just enough too much mineral to tip the balance.
    Of course, I also started drinking more water, as well as avoiding dehydration. Gets pretty hot here in the summer, so that can be a problem too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ye'ouch my dear! As painful as some things are I don't think I could ever give up my beloved, fresh, raw tomatoes. *smile*

    ReplyDelete