Philosophy of Religion in Fiction

"I saw a mother otter with her cubs. Even as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued... As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and the pink roes spilled out much to the delight of the baby otters. Mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that is when I first learned about evil. It is built into the very nature of the universe. Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior." Vitinary in Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett

There are a few fiction writers who have created extremely philosophical characters. The quote above has initiated many heated exchanges about religion; the same goes for Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials Trilogy. But it isn’t just religion, fiction writers like Gabriel García Márquez, Edgar Allan Poe, Alejo Carpentier, Franz Kafka, Ana María Matute, Jean Toomer, Jorge Luis Borges… just to name a few, have offered very useful and real perspectives that will stay with me forever.     

Are there any fiction writers who have affected your reality? 

11 comments:

  1. Hmm... Pratchett's witches, I would say... and Anita Blake, of course. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Most witches don't believe in Gods. They know the Gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don't believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman."

    I love Sir Pratchett. It was very sad news when his announced his onset of dementia. The man knows his stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Diandra, Anita Blake sure is an inspiration, especially her huge blade; very inspiring. lol

    @Michelle, Our feelings are the same in the subject. I was deeply sad when it was announced, but pleased that he talked about it and encouraged others to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Melissa, Coelho indeed. Here is one of my favorite quotes from The Witch of Portobello: "A curse of this place!" said the voice. "A curse on all those who never listened to the words of Christ and who have transformed his message into a stone building. For Christ said : 'Come unto me al ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest'. Well, I'm heavy laden, and they won't let me come to him. Today I've learned that the Church has changed those words to read: 'Come unto me all ye who follow our rules, and let the heavy laden go hang!"

    Powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ~good morning my friend...just wanted to let you know i was thinking of you and sending you much love this day as you go in...all will be well and please let me know what comes from such...much love light and blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I go in at 3pm. Right now I'm entertaining myself with blogging (can't really concentrate on my fiction writing--I'm too hungry lol).

    Thanks for remembering and sending me blessings. I'm crossing my fingers and a few of my toes ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure what's going on as I'm so behind in everything...hope all goes well...will add you to my candle thoughts here...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks a bunch, I haven't talked much about this (actually not at all) I was fasting before certain test and didn't want to talk about anything related to food lol. But I'm on my way now, and I get to eat! After 3pm. Then the wait...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim Harrison and Laurell K. Hamilton are the top two fiction writers that have influnenced me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laurell has influenced many urban fantasy writers, hasn't she?

    ReplyDelete