The Number 13: Death and Dark

I love the number 13. I feel it is lucky and loaded with meaning. Many people, especially those brought up in Western society, see the number as a bad omen. How many skyscrapers have no 13th floor? How many people suffer of Triskaidekaphobia, fear of the number 13?

So why do I love it then? Easy, I’m a rebel. Just kidding, not about the rebel part, but about why I love a number that most people hate. I’m attracted to the number 13 because it is an in between number; a threshold in the realm of numerology and age, where an individual can look forward to transformation. When a person turns 13 she/he is no longer a child or yet an adult; the person becomes a member of an elite middle. During our teenage years, we go through physiological and psychological changes that usually determine who we’ll become. Is 13 a scary age? Heck yeah it is! But a bit of healthy fear is good for the development of moral fiber.

There is a lot of ugliness attached to this number: 13 women executed during The Salem Witch Trials, “The 13 Yule Lads of Iceland” will fill children’s shoes with potatoes if they've been naughty during the year (although this one would be a really good thing for a family that can’t afford food). If your perfect wedding date falls on Friday the 13th you might have to give it up if you suffer of  Paraskavedekatriaphobia (not just fear of the number 13, but the combination of the number and Friday), and according to Mystical Number.Com there are a bunch of other reasons why people think the number 13 is unlucky.

I, on the other hand, am looking forward to May 13, 2011. I’ll get up early, put on black running clothes, run 13 miles, cleanse my house, work a few transformation spells at 1:13pm (I won’t turn myself into a water goblet, my dears, that only happens in Harry Potter) I’ll actually try to leave behind—kill if you may—negativity and woes, and then start searching for an agent for my novel length Dark Urban Fantasy manuscript. I will do it on that day because although 13 can be a number that signifies death, I get to choose what will perish. And as I will it, so it shall be!

Wow! Did you see the sparks?       
Stop by The Domestic Pagan if you want to crash an awesome Winter Magic, Dark Magic blog party. And if you are not into that, don’t crash it then; join!

25 comments:

  1. I've never had a problem with 13 either. I was born on the 13th (so was my brother who turned 13 on a Friday the 13th... actually it's his birthday today).

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have five towers at the hotel property I work for and none of them have a 13th floor.
    In every tower that floor is used for maintenance and electrical storage.
    No elevators go to those floors.
    You have to go to either the 12th or 14th floor and then use the stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lyn, happy birthday to your brother! I hope gets everything he wants and then some!

    @Cogent, I would be pissed out of my mind if I had to take something heavy to that floor and had to carry through it because of the whole elevator issue. And then people say WE are superstitious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 13 is also the number which is sacred to the Goddess because there are 13 months in a lunar year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the number 13 also. Me and Petros kissed and declared our love for each other on November the 13th of 2003.
    Elevators not stoping on the 13th floor? This is crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ~good morning my dear friend...magic truly lies within this number but i guess it is for each and how they view life right!!! take what they wish from such and apply it to their days...i love that you have set forth a date that you will work towards making your dream turn into reality...i wish you only the best to come from such...thank you for your words that you sent forth the other day...your words and support and kindness are always appreciated and helped to ease my mind...i am thankful to have stumbled upon you little lady...much love light and blessings be with you and yours always~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not much a numerology buff but I do have favorite numbers. 5, 7 and 13. I have been drawn to the dark moon since stepping on my path and almost all of the Goddesses I work with are considered Dark.

    I'm really enjoying your blog : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anything can be a bad omen or make you superstitious if you give it that negative power. I'm quite a fan of Friday the 13th :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. 13 never bothered me either. I could never understand what made people afraid of that number. And they say bad things always happen in three's? Go figure!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the number 13. It's a bit of a lucky number for me, and Friday the 13th has always been a day of good fortune. My little sister is the same, so every Friday 13th we call each other to double the luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My birthday is on the 13th and so is my dad's and my ex husbands...

    Though I am not at all a fan of my birthday falling on Friday the13th~!!! At least not after the last one...

    But the 13th has always been a very important lucky number for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I guess most of us feel about the same about this misunderstood number; I'm glad!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, I'm far away from fearing the number 13, I am merely indifferent toward it. So am I toward Friday 13. Your thoughts on the subject are very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As it should be. Things are just as scary as we allow them to be.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with the others that love this poor, feared number... I also agree that for elevators to not stop on the 13th floor is crazy!

    There has to be something in between 12 and 14, lol. I guess it's the old "Last Supper" connotation again... some people and their twisted interpretations have a lot to answer for **sigh**

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Kelly, maybe if we continue spreading the word, our beloved 13 will gain a better reputation ;-)

    I always shake my head at the Last Supper implication. Considering that Judas (according to Judeo-Christian doctrine)was predestined to do what he did, you'd think people would be less freaked out by the number *ditto on the sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this post. 13 has always been a very important number in my family. It's my mom's birthday, my father's favorite number, and admired by everyone else in my family. If we can have something with the number 13 on it that is unique, then we will. It's a number to enjoy in my opinion. It's a number.. I hate when I get on an elevator and see 10,11,12,14. where's the 13?? :( It's so sad! But anyway, loved the blog! :)
    Take care and Brightest Blessings!!

    - Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh. and I love your plans for May 13th, 2011. :) I may have to start some plans too... hm... :) You've got my wheels turning now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh. and I love your plans for May 13th, 2011. :) I may have to start some plans too... hm... :) You've got my wheels turning now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. As it should be. Things are just as scary as we allow them to be.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this post. 13 has always been a very important number in my family. It's my mom's birthday, my father's favorite number, and admired by everyone else in my family. If we can have something with the number 13 on it that is unique, then we will. It's a number to enjoy in my opinion. It's a number.. I hate when I get on an elevator and see 10,11,12,14. where's the 13?? :( It's so sad! But anyway, loved the blog! :)
    Take care and Brightest Blessings!!

    - Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  22. ~good morning my dear friend...magic truly lies within this number but i guess it is for each and how they view life right!!! take what they wish from such and apply it to their days...i love that you have set forth a date that you will work towards making your dream turn into reality...i wish you only the best to come from such...thank you for your words that you sent forth the other day...your words and support and kindness are always appreciated and helped to ease my mind...i am thankful to have stumbled upon you little lady...much love light and blessings be with you and yours always~

    ReplyDelete
  23. I guess most of us feel about the same about this misunderstood number; I'm glad!

    ReplyDelete
  24. We have five towers at the hotel property I work for and none of them have a 13th floor.
    In every tower that floor is used for maintenance and electrical storage.
    No elevators go to those floors.
    You have to go to either the 12th or 14th floor and then use the stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anything can be a bad omen or make you superstitious if you give it that negative power. I'm quite a fan of Friday the 13th :-)

    ReplyDelete