Martes y 13 Ni Te Cases Ni Te Embarques

Or in English, Tuesday the 13th neither get married nor embark (get on a boat, plane, go on a road trip…). Although most Westerners would probably say: Friday the 13th don’t get hitched or start anything.

The title is an old Spanish proverb. The second is a new English proverb I just made up. Why did I do such thing? I’ll answer that in just a bit. First, let me tell you why for some Spanish speaking cultures, Tuesday the 13th is as gloomy as Friday the 13th is for many Westerners. Fear of the 13th is common to both cultures, as explained in The Number 13: Death and Dark.

Tuesdays and Fridays seem to be scary for different reasons: the second, because Christianity has marked Friday as the day that Jesus was crucified, and the first because in Spanish Tuesday means Mars, AKA the God of War. I guess the belief is that mixing an allegedly unlucky number with the day a poor man was nailed to a cross by a bunch of bloodthirsty people, or with the name of a god that rejoices in violence of bloodthirsty people, is sure to bring bad juju to married fellows and travelers alike.

Now, after saying/typing/translating/explaining the gloomy facts, I’ll answer the question you never asked: Um… I seem to have forgotten the question you never asked, so I’ll just tell you why I’m posting today. I wanted to inform you that school starts on January 31st, which means that I’ll only blog twice a week: Tuesdays at Pagan Culture (this doesn’t affect Pagan Fiction in 113 Words or Less) and Fridays I'll post at my Writing Blog.

Why am I ignoring the omens of doom coming from two ginormous cultures? Easy, my Wicked Darlings: I’m a Witch and a rebel, and I refuse to let anyone dictate my fate. The Hottest Eclectic Witch of Them All brews her own juju; the good, the bad, and the so deliciously wicked that is impossible to categorize.

I will limit my posts to Tuesdays and Fridays unless someone really pisses me off or makes me very happy and I feel the need to share/vent, but I’ll continue to visit your cyber homes throughout the week. And why am I posting this on a Sunday night? Because Confucius Obama said “Yes, you can!”

Oh, I almost forgot, would you like to join Pagan Culture’s Simply Stylish Living? Click HERE if you are curious. 

9 comments:

  1. My parents were unbelievably superstitious. Wouldn't carry 13 cents, take only 13 steps, leave the house on Friday the 13th. I guess that is why 13 is my absolute favorite number and I love Friday the 13th. Rebelling against my father and his silly phobias.

    I'm a dark girl and proud of it :).

    \IiiI

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once knew a girl who turned 13 on Friday the 13th. She thought it was unbelievably amazingly totally super awesome.

    I'm pretty sure that Friday the 13th got its reputation because the church once planned an ingenious plan to take out a bunch of people they didn't like all on the same day...which happened to be a Friday the 13th. I seem to recall that it was the Knights of Templar they were taking out.

    And I didn't know about some people not liking Tuesdays the 13th. Live and learn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here in Greece we have both superstitions for both Fridays and Tuesdays the 13th. Lovely post. Good luck with school! Love and light!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Penny, Hooray for the indomitable soul lol!

    @Sarita, I would think that to be born on Friday the 13th would be super cool too, especially if it falls on the Dark Moon! Ditto on the Templar thing. And yes, in many Latin countries, Tuesday the 13th is as misunderstood as Friday.

    Greekwitch, my mother most have some Greek in her. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well. I just love you. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm very glad, dear Wizardess, because I just discovered your "I Shall Wear Midnight" and I have a feeling you are going to be hearing/reading a whole LOT from me. I loves me some Pratchett!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm very glad, dear Wizardess, because I just discovered your "I Shall Wear Midnight" and I have a feeling you are going to be hearing/reading a whole LOT from me. I loves me some Pratchett!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here in Greece we have both superstitions for both Fridays and Tuesdays the 13th. Lovely post. Good luck with school! Love and light!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My parents were unbelievably superstitious. Wouldn't carry 13 cents, take only 13 steps, leave the house on Friday the 13th. I guess that is why 13 is my absolute favorite number and I love Friday the 13th. Rebelling against my father and his silly phobias.

    I'm a dark girl and proud of it :).

    \IiiI

    ReplyDelete