Athena, Arachne, the Furies and Spider-Man… On Broadway

“Oh… wow… interesting…”

Those were the words that came out of my mouth at the end of Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark. It wasn’t bad… not exactly. It was just weird; in a why-are-Arachne-and-the-Furies-wearing-those-bright-ass-shoes? sort of way. And wait a second… did Athena just become some kind of Spider-Man’s mythical grandmother? And, why does the Green Goblin sound like a Southern Belle in drag? No offense to all my lovely drags out there, for you know I love you my queens!

If all this sounds confusing, but intriguingly insane to you, then you are experiencing what I felt last night.

Don’t get me wrong; there were some awesome acrobatic movements, and mm, mm, mm, I had no idea the Furies could shake it so wickedly good. And I don’t even know where to start when it comes to Arachne. I mean, the 8-legged singing beauty was “the only artist” in the show. I didn’t say it, she did. And to be honest, I couldn't argue with her.

I was too surprised to find out that Spider-Man was not the coolest character in his own musical. If you ask me, and I know you aren’t asking, Arachne and the Furies stole the show... and a bunch of shoes. (I'm still trying to figure out the shoes bit).

I'm grateful for the fact that my Piano Man got the tickets for free; not because it was a terrible musical, but because my lover is a ginormous Spider-Man fan, and although he didn’t say it, I am almost sure that the show would be a mild disappointing to those who love the superhero.

But if you like Greek mythology, kick-ass females, Furies in stockings, and the world weirdest representation of Athena, then you’ll love Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark.    

13 comments:

  1. I can't even imagine how they wove all that together with spiderman. in a musical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. None of that computes. I'll have to go find a synopsis...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ellen, it was strange to say the least. And I didn't feel it went well together; the transitions were harsh to say the least.

    @Lis, Dear Will Robinson, you are not alone. There was a gentleman and his lady sitting next to me, and I swear he watched the entire show with his head cocked to the side. Maybe trying to figure out if it would be different if he just saw things from a different angle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still trying to picture Spider-Man as a musical. I can't do it lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I first saw the words 'Spider-man' and 'musical' together that was disappointment enough for this web slinging fan. ;)

    Now that I'm no longer 45 minutes from the city I'll just have to wait for it to either go on tour or for someone to put scenes up on youtube... stockinged furies sound like a riot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok even this Aquarian's love of the arcane is stretched here ;)
    Thanks for the review! Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Penny, imagine Michael Jackson in a Spider-Man costume doing the moonwalk backwards, which I suppose would be sliding forward in an extremely questionable slow motion kind of way.

    @Danni, it is exactly what is sounds like: strange with random outbursts of awesomeness that most human brains (mine for instance) are incapable of rationalizing.

    @Kallan, I'm a Aries, I'm as eclectic as they come and I'm still battling it with it. Happy Weekend to you too hun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a huge Spiderman fan but, I couldn't quite figure out how they were going to do a musical.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had wondered about this play. Such notoriety has followed it. Glad you got to attend it. Though it sounds like you are still digesting it! Ha!!
    Have a wonderful weekend...I will think of you as I visit sunny San Diego!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  10. seems quite a strange combination....shame we wont be watching it in Malta

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Melissa, the did it costly.

    @SueAnn, I think it will take a while for me to understand this one, but who knows maybe I just need to get my artistic looking glass. Which I'm assuming is somewhere with my poetic bone. I can't believe you just bragged about San Diego! I better see some super cool pics!!!

    @Melissa aka Equidae, it seems that no one who is not able to come to NYC will be able to see it. They spent a fortune getting the place ready for it; it would be strange if they spend that much money to go on tours... wait a minute, strange has been a popular word lately, so who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm still trying to picture Spider-Man as a musical. I can't do it lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. seems quite a strange combination....shame we wont be watching it in Malta

    ReplyDelete