Summer Solstice Eclectic Ramblings

Let me start by wishing you the most blissful Summer Solstice ever! I’m predicting that mine is going to be HOT! HOT! HOT! Okay, so I wasn’t the one who predicted this outcome, it was more like the weatherman. It will be 90+ degrees before the end of the longest day of the year my Wicked Darlings, and this Eclectic Witch couldn’t be happier. Yep, I LOVES me some heat!

Now to the dirt ;-) I have been writing, studying and dating.

Writing: I’m very proud of this bit. I finished the 1st full revision of BLOOD GRUDE, my novel length urban fantasy MS, and I’m proud of the results. It is by no means a finished product, but I am where I need to be at the moment. I’ve added two more stories, to the short story collection, which I’m hoping will develop into my MFA thesis. This part of my fiction writing has chocked the heck out of me, in the most amazing of ways; more on that later. I’ve also finished 3 independent short stories. I hope one will make it to Witches & Pagans (cross your fingers and your toes if you are that gifted or weird depending how you look at it). Also, I’m revising a Pagan Culture post that will be featured in a small British magazine.

Studying: Summer school is a killer! I think I have said that before, but trust me, it hasn’t changed. WOW! I didn’t think I could read this much in such a short period of time, and not lose my mind. I have to admit that I was worried about my first paper, which was one of the reasons behind my sporadic posting. I had to write about a work of art or a piece of music that was caused by the Harlem Renaissance. My first choice was a song, then I finished the paper and almost puked. The paper was dead. If you are a writer or if you are into any type of art, you know what I was feeling: I looked at my lifeless words and wanted to cry. But Fate is usually good to your Eclectic Witch. I opened a new document (at 2am the night before the paper was due), remember how I felt the first time I saw The Brown Girl (After the Bath) by Archibald Motley Jr., and started writing. I finished somewhere between 5am and 6am, but my unedited results made me smile behind sleepy eyes. I got an A- and couldn’t be more proud.

Dating: I started dating a month or so ago, and my Wicked Darlings, this is a full time job; but a rather enjoyable one. I was a bit worried at first. I mean let’s be honest! I’m a 30+ year old Eclectic Witch. My worldview doesn’t exactly sit at the top of conventionality, so I wasn’t totally crazy to assume that finding likable prospective dates would be rather difficult, right? Wrong! New York City is overflowing with very open-minded single men. And if you take your time to sort out through the arrogance and the bullshit, you might get lucky and run into a decent professional pianist, a couple of doctors, and more professors than any good Witch would know what to do with. I'm not exactly sure why, but I seem to attract professors, artists, a large number of Russians and a fair amount of psychos. 

Anyway, I’m riding the ferry on my way to school right now. The view of New Jersey, Brooklyn and Manhattan is glorious and my spirit is as bright as the Midsummer sun. Life would be perfect, if it wasn’t because the water splashing against the boat just reminded me of the BP fiasco. I don’t want to end this post on such a sad note, but it is hard to feel completely happy when the Great Mother’s waters are thick and dark with crude oil. So many dead animals… so many jobless men… but life goes on and I’m thankful for that. Things might be seriously gloomy right now, but at least we get one more day, and with it a new chance to make this world a nicer place. I’ll spend this Summer Solstice thinking about how I can ease some of the Great Mother’s pain and thanking Her for my blessings.


Any suggestions on how to make things a bit better? I already recycle and drive as little as possible. What else do you have my luvs?    

No comments:

Post a Comment