Scraps of Life and Fiction

How many times has someone said something, or you have read a line in a book that you know will stay with you forever, or at least for a while? I thought about this question, yesterday, as I rode the ferry home from school. I realized that my existence was full of scraps of life and fiction that will be part of me for a long, long, long time... or at least for a while. They were just that intense, funny, shocking, unforgettable...

Here is a random list:

Life
"I never thought much about women, especially women in the Marine Corps, but when a 117lbs woman kicks you in the balls and tells you 'I might not be able to take you one on one, but if you don't write to your wife, the Gods are my witnesses, I'll cut your freaking balls off while you sleep and send them to her so she knows she still has a man!' G, thank you for making me write those letters every week. I hated it, but The Wife told me they were the only thing that kept her from dumping my dumb ass. P.S. I did cheat that time at the rifle range, so eat your heart out Iron-Bitch!"  From one of the letters a friend who just past away left to be read at his funeral.

Fiction
"Where I am always thou art. Thy image lives within my heart." A poem engraved on a woman's locked. She gave it to the man she loved when he was trapped in a hell realm, and she had to go back to the living world to kill the demons to put him there. Bad Moon Rising by Sherrilyn Kenyon.

Life
Preacher: "Accept your Maker or meet His undertaker! I know you hate me right now, but I want you to go to heaven my friends."
Bystander: "I don't know about the rest, but I don't hate you. I just want you to shut the fuck up, I'm on the phone!" Last night at South Ferry Station.

Fiction
"When you write, it's like braiding your hair. Taking a handful of coarse unruly strands and attempting to bring them unity. Your fingers have still not perfected the task. Some of the braids are long, others are short. Some are thick, others are thin. Some are heavy. Others are light. ... fables and metaphors, whose similes, and soliloquies, whose diction and je ne sais quoi [are] daily slip into your survival soup..." Krik? Krak! Edwidge Danticat 

Life
Friend: "I'm dark and damaged. You are bright and beautiful. I'll bring nothing but hurt to your life. I break everything I touch. I'm sorry..."
Me: "Don't be... bu you should let me shine on you, remember that light shines brightest in the darkness."

The last quote was an exchange with a writer friend, in what seems like a million years ago. This friend also asked me "How do you come up with ideas for your writing?" I told him "From everywhere: dreams, fantasies of mine, everyday life... oh, and from my Wicked Darlings!" Those last two words reminded of an award I was given by Jon about a week ago.
I love all my awards, but the idea behind this one was just so ingenious that it made me smile more than any award I've ever been nominated for. Not because it is cool (and trust me, it is) but because is one I've got because you my Wicked Darlings. Jon nominated Pagan Culture for the This Blog Has Braaains Award. He believes that I'm a "blogger who teach and enlightens my readers." That is one of the best compliments my blogging Eclectic Pagan heart has every received, but I wouldn't be true to myself, and to you, if I didn't pass this award to my real brains: you my Wicked Darlings.

Yep,  most of my blogging ideas come from your comments and reflections. So today I pass the This Blog Has Braaains Award to EVERY one of my Wicked Darlings. Post it proudly on your blog, and let the world know that YOU are Pagan Culture's brains!

And going back to the original question, How many times has someone said something, or you have read a line in a book that you know will stay with you forever, or at least for a while? Care to share a scrap of life and/or fiction?

P.S. If you decide to claim the This Blog Has Braaains Award, please leave me a comment on this post, and a link to it. I'll add your name to the Touched by Pagan Culture Tuesday #14 Early List. Remember you must be a follower in order to be Touched by Pagan Culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment