Guns, Daisies and Tears

I was walking down memory lane today. A friend passed away and his daughter asked me if I had any pictures of him wearing his old camouflaged uniform (The Marine Corps went digital a few years back). I'm happy to say that I found three pictures and his daughter has them. It wasn't much, but it was good to see her and her grandma smile behind tears, as they put together a picture collage for his funeral. They have gone through so much these last few days...

I also found a picture of me in a frame that was part of a set I thought I no longer had. I thought it perished on my last move. He got the frames for me on my birthday, in 2000 I think... I said thanks when he gave me the unwrapped gift. He stared at me as if waiting for something, so I said "Thanks very much?"

"There are two of them." He pointed out.

"Mhm." I was drawing a blank.

He grinned. "Don't you wanna know why?"

"I'm not sure I do, but you'll tell me anyway, won't you?"

"One is for when you are dressed like a girl, and the other for when you wear your gun without a blouse, looking like a mean little boy."

"It's a pistol. And I don't look like a boy!"


But the truth was that I did look like a boy. The back of my head was shaved and I had very little hair on top. I'll tell you why one of these days. Today, all I want to do is think of guns, daisies and tears as remember the good old days...

No comments:

Post a Comment