Christ in Concrete by Pietro Di Donato

This book was a nightmare that turned into a dream of revolutionary enlightenment. If we are friends on Facebook or you follow me on Twitter, you probably remember my bitching, moaning and complaining when I said that I wanted to poke my eyes out after reading the first few chapters. Yep, I hated Christ in Concrete that much, the first time I read it. Wondering why I read a book a second time, if I hated it so much? Easy, the book just pissed me of so much, that I knew it had to be hiding something important, for things of no consequence don't make me lose my cool.

Pietro Di Donato's writing style can only be described as raw and going straight for the soul through the gut. The book is badly written; you'll be bombarded by 200+ words sentences and sections were you have to sent an FBI profiler if you have any hope of identifying the point of view; it will drive you insane, if you let it. But if you are a fighter, like yours truly; if you refuse to let a book (or anyone) tell you how to enjoy your words, then slow down, read Christ in Concrete a few passages at the time. Savor it. Digest it. And I assure you that in no time you'll appreciate it, and maybe even enjoy it.

You know I don't like spoilers, but I'll tell you a bit about the story: In Christ in Concrete you'll find a twelve year old boy who walks away from a system that had been doing his thinking for him all his life. He goes on a journey filled with mangled bodies, disappointments and realities, no one should have to endure, especially not at twelve. In the end his faith in the American Dream and the "Christ Myth" is modified in a marvelous way.

The first time I read this novel, I missed one very important point: Di Donato's bad writing had a purpose. He wanted the reader to experience, first hand, the rawness, confusion, helplessness, disappointment, which was his main character's life. He succeeded with me.

I recommend this book to anyone who won't be put off by gore, rough language, and writing that pretty much stirs the depths of the entrails.

No comments:

Post a Comment