It Could Be Worse

I hate cold weather. I woke up grumpy this morning because I knew yesterday’s snow was going to ruin my whole day. I was right: my 1st bus was late, the train had no heat, and my second bus was late too. I was at the bus stop, mad out of my mind, wondering why my hot mood was doing nothing to warm my toes.

My hip was hurting and my shoulder refused to be outdone, so it started aching too. This freaking sucks! I wish… A voice interrupted my thoughts.

“Hot damn!” I heard a male voice say. “I swear this crap only happens to me.”

I looked across the street and found the source of the trouble. It was a guy on a wheelchair, trying to get to the sidewalk, but the snow was piled up to high. I walked to the guy, and stood in front of him for a little while trying to figure out how to help him. Then a few of the people who had been waiting at the bus stop joined us; together we lifted the man and his wheelchair up to the sidewalk.

The bus came and left while we helped the guy. We were going to have to wait, in the cold, for at least 10 more minutes. I went back to my spot, on the waiting line, and chuckled. My hip was still killing me and my shoulder had started to throb, but I was smiling at the frigid wind. I thought about “Hot damn” guy, about the people getting rained on in Haiti, and help strangely fortunate.

No comments:

Post a Comment