Working on a Book of Shadows

I’ve started working on my Eclectic Book of Shadows (EBoS) as I told you I would. I collected most of the spells, recipes, herb lore… I’ve used the last 15 years and tried to put them in some type of order—things are not working all that well. You see, every time I think I have all I need (or want) in my EBoS something else comes up. This would not be an issue if my EBoS was meant to stay on electronic format, or if I was using loose-leaf paper to handwrite it on. However, there is a great looking bound journal that is complicating my methodology a bit.

I’ve been trying to come up with the best way to “have my cake and eat it too,” so I know an electronic EBoS just won’t do. I need the ink-paper-Magaly connection to breathe life into my EBoS. I could use loose-leaf paper, but I’m kind of broke; plus I my heart is set on that beautiful bound journal. I look at it and I see my EBoS. What’s a Witch to do?

I think I have a solution, but I want your input before I put it into practice. This is what I have: I’ll type my entire EBoS on electronic format, and then transferred to my perfect bound journal. I know what you are thinking what about if you run out paper? I thought about that too, and I think that limitation will work to my advantage. I need to be very selective, for I only have about two hundred 9x7 pages at my disposal. This means that my EBoS will contain only my best work.

I know the process will be slow. I can already see myself spending many hours trying to figure out which of my work is EBoS worthy. But I’m not discourage, I’m sure my Wicked Darlings will help me when I’m truly stuck, right?

What do you think about my strategy? Can you think of something more effective? But remember, I must use my perfect bound journal—yes, I’m a bit obsessed with it ;)

8 comments:

  1. Girl, the fact that you have some organization in your BOS is a miracle to me. I pulled out my BOS the other day, and what I found surprised me. In the large bound leather book, I saw ten years of Witchcraft-from the very beginning to current date. There's little organization, but there is a lot of love.

    I could see the progression of my Craft. The book seemed to have three segmets: the doorway which was filled with so much cerebral work and meditation. The Coven Years in which I took my degrees and then the Priest years, when I led the circle that first took me in. Those pages were filled with spells and rituals that focused on balance and continuance.

    I also found that the book only had three blank pages left. I guess after it is completed, I'll have to get a new one and begin again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had a similar issue. I have a leather bound book that is my Bos...but I want it all to be hand written, and to be honest, I am not a huge user of spells so I wonder just what in the hell I am going to put in it. I have had the thing for almost 3 years and beyond some artwork and a book dedication and a few correspondence charts, it sits unused, waiting to be filled. I also want to create an Herbal Bos, but I find myself running into the same issue...sure, looseleaf is easier but it is not the vision I have in my mind! Maybe we can both find an answer to our problem soon lol..

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you mean to "transfer" the digital writing on the jornal page practically? do you print out sheets and then glue et on the journals pages? Or do you copy by handwriting? Sorry, if this is a dump question.

    I can understand very well that a Book of Shadows needs to be in the "real world" and not on a screen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started several aproaches to a "perfect" BOS, and I ended up with a kind of compromise - I keep spells and rituals that I think I may repeat or share with others in electronic format and in a big manila folder (sorted and resorted according to my every whim). And I have numerous notebooks where I kept parts of progress, personal insights, dreams and stuff. All mixed up - diary, BOS, notes for shopping or writing - and it somehow seems to work.

    In your place, I would not worry too much about the perfect book of shadows. Do you really think you will fill only one book with your insights and experiences? (I've been with it for maybe 15 years, and I've filled almost a dozen books.)

    Simply believe it, when the time is right you will find a worthy replacement for your by-that-time-former BOS, and in time you will have a great collection that is just as full of colors and diversity as your life.

    (Hear ye, hear ye. *laughing at my old-wise-woman talk*)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could you section off the book and use plastic tabs you can get at an office max. You stick the tab directly to the page and lable it... rituals, spells, lore, etc.

    http://www.officemax.com/catalog/sku.jsp?productId=ARS21679&history=xm2bnd9s|prodPage~15^freeText~tabs^paramValue~true^refine~1^region~1^param~return_skus^return_skus~Y

    I pasted the link so you could see what I had in mind. I think tabbing the sections and leaving blank pages between each would allow you to hand write in the exact place you would like the information. You would also be able to find things really quick. Need ideas for a certain Sabbat... simply turn to the tab and take a peek.

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have several journals too. The idea was to have one for meditation work, one for dream recording, one for ritual and spell work, and so on. But it seems that I write in all of them, and don't stick with one subject. I think I may have to eventually combine them, but I love to organize, so the process shouldn't be too painful.

    My advice - get 2 gorgeous journals. When you run out of room in one, start the second! I'd hate for you to leave out something good, just because you only have 200 pages!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What happened to your other comment system?
    Anyway I have extra do you need a psecific kind of paper?
    I'd be happy to send you some.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How do you mean to "transfer" the digital writing on the jornal page practically? do you print out sheets and then glue et on the journals pages? Or do you copy by handwriting? Sorry, if this is a dump question.

    I can understand very well that a Book of Shadows needs to be in the "real world" and not on a screen.

    ReplyDelete