Dominican Thanksgiving? Funny!

I know this should be a super cheery holiday and all, but this post doesn’t start in a jolly way. Yesterday someone asked me “How do Dominicans celebrate Thanksgiving?”

I grinned, and said, “You’re too funny.”

He gave me a bewildered look, and my eyes opened as wide as his when a thought came to mind… But I didn’t want to jump to hasty conclusions, so I asked instead. “Are you serious, or was that a trick question?”

“No… sorry I asked.” The sad look on his face almost made me feel bad—almost. Then he opened his mouth again and the almost went poof. “It must be very upsetting not to be able to celebrate Thanksgiving. I knew the Dominican Republic was a poor country, but I didn’t know things were so horrible.”

I shook my head and prayed ignorance wasn’t contagious. I know that’s a terrible thing to say, but a thirty-something-year-old man who went to high school AND to college should have known why Dominicans don’t celebrate Thanksgiving, shouldn’t he?

I was so tempted to say, I’m sure Dominicans would have come to the States to celebrate Thanksgiving, if the Pilgrims or the Indians would have sent an invitation; my people will go anywhere for free food. But don’t worry we aren’t too sad about it, we understand the oceans were too dangerous then.

However, I didn’t say any of the above. I was overcome by the spirit of the season and decided to share my superior, um… 3rd grade knowledge. I explained that we didn’t celebrate Thanksgiving because the holiday is only celebrated in the US and Canada. We talked about the details of the harvest festivities and laughed. I also told him I was going to make fun of him on this post, but that he shouldn’t feel too bad. At least he wasn’t the man who sent “a message of support to Canada and its struggling national igloo.”

So today, I’m thankful to know people who are not too grand to laugh at their own silliness. I’m also thankful for second chances, new beginnings, love, plus a whole bunch of other things that would make this list way too long.

Happy Thanksgiving my, Wicked Darlings… everywhere.  

24 comments:

  1. Ha Im laughing at myself for posting happy thanksgiving on your facebook wall!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I live in the States, so I celebrate Thanksgiving. I'm pro holidays, if there is one, I can care less if it applies to me. I'm always game for fun my Wicked Darling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear it! Hows you and your loved up life? Hope all is fabulous darling xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. All good luv, really good actually, just a little sad because he is in Oklahoma City attending school (for work). We won't see each other until early December and things get hard sometimes *that made me grin*. I can't wait for him to come home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can easily imagine that the holiday itself (Thanksgiving) is so important and deeply rooted in the USA, that a ...ahm... lesser educated citizen would naively believe that it is celebrated worldwide.
    I'm neither american, nor do I live in the USA, but I celebrated Thanksgiving today, just for the fun of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the spirit! Some people ask me how do I deal with non-Pagan holidays and I tell them, if there is a party I'm all for it. I'm all about happiness, so I celebrate everything. That is one of the similarities I cherish the most, we all smile at a party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also Thanksgiving is a National Day of Mourning for Native Americans in the States. Some of us have their blood in our veins. I celebrate Thanksgiving, giving thanks to the Divine Mother and Father for all the blessings in my life but I also honor the first people of the Americas, the Native Americans whose lands we live on. Prima, you are truly a blessing from the Gods and I am thankful you are in my life. Ashe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Primo, I was going to mention Wednesday and The Addams Family Values, but I didn't think many would get me. Just like people don't understand why many Marines of Mexican might feel different about the Blood Stripe and how things in the Battle of Chapultapec.

    Querido, tú eres una bendición! Abrazos ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was thinking of Wednesday Addam's speech in the Thanksgiving play where has the Natives attack the Pilgrims because of what will later take place in history.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Since we're talking about Native's views on Thanksgiving, I just thought I'd share this: http://www.alternet.org/story/4391/

    I'm amazed that the guy thought that Thanksgiving would have been celebrated in the Dominican Republic. Wow. But, I will admit that I only started to figure out recently that it is celebrated in Canada.

    But I wonder, is it celebrated in Hawai'i? Hawai'i isn't part of the north American continent, but it is part of the USA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's celebreated in hawii and in Puerto Rico

      Delete
    2. A few other countries, especially those with a large American population, also celebrate Thanksgiving. I think the media have been key to the spread of the joy ;-)

      Delete
  11. Oh man. Well, I can't say I'm too surprised. I seem to remember a poll that showed that 60-70% of Americans, when asked when Independence Day is celebrated in the UK, responded "4th of July, just like America." Now *that* is sad.

    Haha, oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you had a good day!

    Thanks for the laugh further up on the page by the way. I'm sure we would have come to celebrate if we'd gotten an invitation. ROFL!

    Your heart is as good as gold. I'm not sure what I would have said in response - but you handled it with grace, so bless you. lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. hope you had a good thanksgiving :) we dont have it in malta either

    ReplyDelete
  14. Second chances, new beginnings and love. What more could you ask for?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sarita, don't laugh at me, but I actually googled your question about Thanksgiving in Hawaii and I couldn't find anything specific. I'm a be ashamed, but I have no idea if they do.

    Emma, are you serious? That is pretty bad indeed!

    Lyon, you are too good to me. We laughed pretty hard too, then we--meaning me--retold the story around other friends, but it wasn't as funny for him the second time around.

    Melissa, I'm sure your invitation got lost too ;)

    Ellen, I could use one more thing right about now, but a girl can only ask for so much ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am all for holidays too! Any excuse to gather together with family and friends and raise a glass is just too wonderful!!! Glad you enjoyed your "holiday"! I was filled to overflowing!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad you had a blast ;) I bet you're still eating turkey, huh? Well, I'm not a huge turkey eater, but my little brother got me my favorite cake and there is very little left. Did I mention that I'm the only one eating it?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm with you, ANY excuse for people to get together to share happiness is good! I try to remember and share with my family all the different things the holidays may mean. All in all I celebrate Thanksgiving in the old ways meaning giving thanks for another year in which we've been able to not only support our family but have enough extra to have some fun along the way too! The harvesting may be different these days but it's still a harvest festival for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Okay, I cracked up at the 'superior 3rd grade knowledge' line. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Clandestiny, if we all stop to find (and enjoy) the good things out of everything, we would probably be happier, don't you think?

    Bridgett, I'm glad you did, for I also chuckled when I wrote it. You see, I'm pleased because I'm not a really funny person. Most people find my nerdy, dark, rather sarcastic sense of humor, not funny at all.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good to hear it! Hows you and your loved up life? Hope all is fabulous darling xx

    ReplyDelete