Following My Eclectic Pagan Bliss


“If you follow your bliss, you put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while, waiting for you, and the life that you aught to be living is the one you are living. Wherever you are—if you are following your bliss, you are enjoying that refreshment, that life within you, all the time.”
The former quote can be found in Joseph Campbell’s The Power of Myth, which was bookmarked with a quote by Henry David Thoreau; one where he spoke about destiny and said
"Go confidently in the direction of your DREAMS! LIVE the life you’ve always IMAGINED.”
The book by Campbell and the bookmark with Thoreau’s words were given to me by one of you—a very dear Pagan Culture reader. I won’t disclose the name of this individual because this person works for a very intolerant institution—sad, I know. Some might find it difficult to believe that this type of treatment still exist, but if you follow a Witchcraft tradition or any other marginalized spiritual path, you already know that it is not that unusual.

But enough about sadness, for this is a blissful post. If you have been following Pagan Culture and/or The Pagan & The Pen you already know I’ve been “Stumbling at a Crossroad”. I’m in love with Eclectic Paganism, mythology and writing; particularly in the way these three relate and influence each other. I’ve spent the last few months doing research, trying to find the best academic program that can help me follow my dream. It has being TOUGH and the frustrating process was making me lose hope.

Yesterday, I made a few phone calls and cancelled interviews with prospective schools. I was just too tired. One person called me back and told me not to give up, to continue my search or to accept some help in the process. I was so frustrated that I almost declined, but something told me not to. I met the individual at a lovely coffee shop where we talked about mythology, Paganism, Green Witchcraft, reading, writing, scholarly research, dreams… all of this over warm oatmeal cookies, caramel macchiato and Fiji water (by the way, I know we should pay for quality, but UNHOLY crap! I couldn’t believe how much the water cost).

My Wicked Darling started the conversation by saying: “I really love your blog. Its simplicity, and its just-say-it-like-it-is approach to life, is invigorating. I’m a Green Witch who is so deep in the broom closet that I doubt I’ll ever come out… maybe a few years after retirement… or after my children are old enough to understand. Who knows…”

After the longest of silences, the person continued. “You have so much potential. I want to say that you remind me of me when I was your age, but that would be a lie. I wasn’t as brave and I didn’t have your charm.” At this point in the conversation, my Wicked Darling already had me, for flattery goes everywhere with me *grin*, but this amazing individual had to go for the kill: “With ‘privilege comes responsibility’, a bit cliché, but true nonetheless. You have been given an opportunity that some of us can only dream of. Don’t waste it. You are always writing about the beauty of Paganism, aren’t you?” I gave a zombielike nod. “Then go and get the degree that can help you spread that word with authority.”

I won’t lie; I was a bit teary-eyed by the time she was done. However, the choking emotion was replaced by pure excitement when my Wicked Darling put a bag on the table and told me: “In case my eloquent monologue didn’t win you over, here is some bribery.”

I laughed so hard that people began to stare. I got a lovely mug, a weekly planner, a water flask, a book, a bookmark, the cutest of memo pads, an insanely expensive bottle of water (sorry, I’m a thrifty soul), and a healthy nudge toward following my Eclectic Pagan “bliss”.

I want to thank each and every one of you for reading Pagan Culture and for REALLY paying attention to what I write. I started this blog hoping for a few likeminded individuals who would stop by, every now and then, to share ideas. I’m happy to say that I’ve met people, here, who have touched my life in ways I didn’t believe possible in cyberspace.

Thanks a bunch my Wicked Darlings, especially my dearest new friend, the Green Witch in the broom closet.



Oh, I almost forgot to 
show you my wicked bookmark! Here it is ;)

And as usual, I have a question, has anyone touched your life through cyberspace?




17 comments:

  1. Welcome to Pagan Culture Lyon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy that you're not giving up on your dream. The Green Witch is absolutely right in that. All I can offer are blessings and a shout of good luck. =)

    As to answer your question, yes, I have been touched by someone through cyberspace. Two people, actually, though I don't get to talk to one of them much any more. The point is that, while I probably would still have made it to this point on my path, without the internet it would have taken me many, many more years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a blessing that this person called you back, and you met! Sometimes we get exactly what we need. That reminds of a magnet I bought that said "Do unto others...what they need." Sounds like the Green Witch knew what you needed.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you carrying on your dream :) You have touched me into questioning more about religion and what my true beliefs are. Although I am still somewhat confused I know I am learning more now :) thanks to you! and yes there is another mom who was what prompted me on the blogging world and which I still enjoy reading and find somewhat inspirational

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I have been touched by someone through cyber space....BIG gush coming up.....YOU, yes my sweet friend you, you have touched my life with your kind words and have made me laugh out loud whilst reading your blog, in return pplthink I am now crazy but what the hell.
    You Magaly will never ever give up on your dream, you won't allow yourself to as you remain completely focused even when you think you might just give up, someone reminds you why you are doing it in the first place.
    You're a complete inspiration not just to me but I can be sure to a great many others too, you have many gifts but in my opinion, just my opinion the biggest gift you gave me was your friendship and I will never ever forget that xx Live the dream xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a blog award waiting for you... go collect it xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emma, thanks so much for your kind words and blessings. And you are right the Green Witch is an amazing person. About cyberspace, I am amazed more and more everyday. I believe that Paganism itself wouldn’t be where it is today if Pagans didn’t get together online.

    Rue, I know! This person is spellbinding and very perceptive if I might say. Like you said, the Green Witch knew exactly what I needed and then some!

    Melissa aka Equidae, I’m teary eyed again. Your words are soooooo empowering. I don’t believe in preaching my beliefs, which is common of many Pagans—hence we don’t try to get people to “join” us, but when someone says that I’ve touched them—spiritually—that makes me feel wonderful. Don’t worry about been confused, I question everything every day of my life. I don’t take anybody’s word or experience as rule for living. I walk around, stumble, fall, get up and learn.

    Pixie_Allen, okay this is ridiculous! I just finished whipping my eyes after reading Melissa aka Equidae’s word and then you come along and make me sniff again—very naughty my dear Pixie, but so absolutely lovely to say. Thanks so much for being such a great friend and for letting me know how you feel about our exchanges. It is so easy to move forward when one has people like you waiting to offer a little pick me up, or to smack me on the side of the head if I start thinking nonsense. Big hugs dear. WoooHooo! Another award, I’ll go collect soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to our Eclectic Circle SleepingMoon9. We are thrilled to have you Wicked Darling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been touched by so many people in cyberspace, it's almost unbelievable. In fact, it was a woman I met over 7 years ago when AOL journals first started which led me to the pagan path.

    Looks like the deities were smiling down on you by bringing Wicked Darling into your life.

    It's wonderful. :)

    )O(
    boo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Magaly - Looks like you have done alot for alot of people. Don't feel overwhelmed; remember we are here for you like you are here for us.

    Glad that GreenWitch was able to help you in your time of frustration. Don't make your educational path more complicated that it is; just take a deep breath, relax and discuss it with someone. Whichever path you take will be the correct one...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bridgett, I'm starting to believe the gods are into computers lol. Like I said before, Paganism wouldn't be where it is today, without the help of the Internet. It is just friendly, and anonymous enough to help people feel safe. I do think the Divine has been winking at me lately ;)

    Judy, thanks so much. It took forever for me to realized that when it comes to my education, it's all about me. I need to make myself happy and make the process fun, if not I won't help anyone; especially not me. Thanks so much for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. To answer your question, heck yeah.

    (My time on the computer has been limited due to school, by the way, so I'm only getting to your blog posts this week today.)

    Reading articles and blogs about Paganism has helped me to consider new sides of things, reflect on stuff, and ultimately and grow. Ok, so the same applies to non-Pagan stuff, but this is a Pagan blog so I naturally think about the Pagan stuff first when you ask the question. :)

    And, by the way, this blog is definitely one of those that has made me seriously think about things from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an awesome blessing!

    My BFF comes from CyberSpace...

    Never have we met in person, but when we do, it will be lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sarita dear, I'm so glad Pagan Culture gives you things to think about. The brain is an overgrowing muscle, which we should exercise as often as possible in order to keep it healthy.

    Miss Ash, I can't wait to hear about your reunion. And I want pics!!! Many of the people I've met away from CyberSpace make fun of my online friendships; they just don't get it. Hm... I've met, and continue to meet, some of the most amazing individuals (whom I've never seen) online.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes I have been touched by someone through cyber space....BIG gush coming up.....YOU, yes my sweet friend you, you have touched my life with your kind words and have made me laugh out loud whilst reading your blog, in return pplthink I am now crazy but what the hell.
    You Magaly will never ever give up on your dream, you won't allow yourself to as you remain completely focused even when you think you might just give up, someone reminds you why you are doing it in the first place.
    You're a complete inspiration not just to me but I can be sure to a great many others too, you have many gifts but in my opinion, just my opinion the biggest gift you gave me was your friendship and I will never ever forget that xx Live the dream xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome to Pagan Culture Lyon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a blog award waiting for you... go collect it xx

    ReplyDelete