Bumps, Bruises and BLESSINGS

“What doesn’t kill you will make you stronger,” or at least immensely grateful.

These last couple of weeks have made me a stronger being, and have showed me that I can even be a bit weak if I want, for I have tons of amazing people willing to hold my world together if I need them to.

Some of you already know about my car accident on July 14th, just a few days before I was supposed to move to the city. I haven’t written about it here because my delusions of fame and grandeur made me think that my dad, or someone he knows, might read my blog *grin*. My dad and I are really close, and anything that happens to me affects him deeply. My dad’s heart hasn’t been at its best lately, so I didn’t want him to know about the accident until I was out of the hospital. I’ve been in and out of the hospital since, and although the first few days were a nightmare, things are getting better.

I’ve been out of touch for a while and you guys are great to still hangout here, so it is only fair that I tell you what has transpired while I was incommunicado. Here is the short account of my bumps, bruises and blessings:

Bumps: On July 14th at about 5:00pm, I was pulling into my driveway when a young man driving a minivan t-boned me. The young man probably missed my turning signal and the incessant hysterics of my horn due to the fact that he was waving at a group of good looking girls on the sidewalk. The young man tried to flee the scene of the accident, but he failed. The police came and the young man received a few charges.

Bruises: I was feeling fine after the accident—just a bit sleepy. I’m very smart, so I did what a sleepy person should do: I took a shower and went to bed. About two hours later I was awaken by the mother of all headaches. I could barely see. I tried to get up and my whole world was spinning. I was scared out of my mind. I went to the hospital. I was diagnosed with the usual stuff: strain and torn ligaments, bruising of the chest cavity, a mysterious bump on the side of my head and severely maimed patience control *grin again*.

Blessings:
1.     The young man tried to flee the scene, but was stopped by about 20 of my neighbors—no joke. The same neighbors got me a chair and I sat in front of the guy’s minivan. They had stopped him about a block from the accident and he was refusing to get out of the van to exchange information. My platoon of neighbors waited outside, with me, for the 45 minutes that the police took to arrive. The 911 operator let me know that he police was going to be a while because there were about 4 fatal accidents going on at the same time.
2.     The doctors, my employer and my insurance company have been amazing. They have worked hard to accommodate all my needs. To tell you the truth, I wouldn’t have gone to the hospital if it wasn’t for the colorful words of a coworker and a retired military claims adjuster who told me “Devil Dog, I was a medic for a long time. I know you Marines can take a lot of pain, but you don’t have to get up and shoot for your life tomorrow, so go to the damn hospital and get those symptoms checked out.” I went into military mode right away and said, um… “Yes Sir!”
3.     My aunt, my angel, dropped everything she was doing and took me to the ER. I was given an assortment of shots and more tongue lashing for not going to the hospital right away. I passed out soon after, so I can’t give you the details of that night.
Today, I’m at my father’s house. My injuries are much better. My muscles are relaxing and the headaches are not as frequent. I need to find a new doctor because there is something weird going on with my back. I’m still in pain, but am grateful for my blessings. First, the gods—and my good driving skills—made me move out of the van’s way, just enough to keep it from hitting my door head on. I don’t even want to imagine what would have happened if a full size minivan would have impacted my MINI at the speed the guy was going. Thank the gods I’ll never have to find out.

I know this post is getting too long, but I must tell you that I would probably put you to sleep if I were to list all the blessings this incident has brought to light; there are sooooo many. I found out that I have more friends than I knew about. The people who really care about me came through like glowing angels—okay, some were glaring at me, but I needed them to at the time. Those who pretended to give a damn about me have been filtered out by their inertia. I’m alive. I’m happy. I’m loved. I’m BLESSED!

Thanks so much for sticking around through this difficult time in my life. And for those of you who have recently joined Pagan Culture: welcome to my Eclectic Circle! Do send me tons of healing energy, so that I can get rid of the rest of my bumps ;)

So, what did you do while I was out?

P.S. I’ll stop by your blogs to see what’s new. Just give me a day or two to check them all. I can’t stay on the computer for too long because the brightness of the monitor makes my head hurt.


Endless blessings my Wicked Darlings!

21 comments:

  1. I wondered how come there were no posts lately...so sorry about your accident will send lots of positive energy to you...hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are okay!!! And it's so great to hear you focus on the blessings. The idiot drivers will always be there and the unfairness of bad things happening to good people. What we can do, and it's very powerful, is transform our misfortune into something better. Hope your back continues to improve!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're okay! Your neighbors sound like amazing people. If that had happened to me here, I doubt any of my neighbors would have done the same. Anyway. Healing can be slow, but it sounds like you're on top of it. I'll send you some energy, though--it's a specialty of mine. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are doing better. I've been missing your post.

    It's always nice to know that the people you care the most about feel the same about you. They are the ones that can always be counted on to pull us through.

    Good luck with your back. Hope it is only minor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew it, I said to my hubby something was up omg!!!! So Glad you are ok minus the bumps and brusies - will send you all the healing I can my lovely friend and if you need anything just shout!! And remember I'm only a plane ride away hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to hear you're okay! Nice neighbors you have there :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Magaly! I thought something was wrong! *hugs* I'm so glad your ok. Blessed Neighbors, friends and family to help you.

    Lots of love and hugs your way hun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ouch. I'm glad you're getting better!

    I myself was in ER a couple years back. It wasn't pleasant, but like you I discovered exactly how wonderful people can be, thanks to that experience. I think that sometimes you need crazy things like that to realize exactly how blessed you are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad things were no worse...take care of yourself and heal...we'll all be here when you get better...J

    ReplyDelete
  10. Im glad you are alright and that you can manage to see the good even in this situation!
    I hope you feel better soon.
    Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I was about 20 I was in an accident. Wasn't wearing a seatbelt and hit my head on the stearing wheel. It was not the law to wear a seat belt back then. I had a few stitches in my head and thought I was fine until the next day when my body ached all over. Doc said the body takes a good day to react to the shock of being jerked around. Take care of yourself and take it easy. :)

    If you get a chance, stop by and enter my contest for a Nanny McPhee DVD, electronic catch phrase, and a $25 Target Gift card.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm just glad you came through this okay, relatively speaking. And even better that your neighbors joined together to stop the guy before he decided to take off and possibly kill the next person.

    Just rest up and blog when you can, hon. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  13. First of all, I thank God that you are okay. And I could just hug your neighbors for looking out for you.

    I agree with Marcia, you need to rest up and don't over do it. You may think you're all well then the aches and pain might return.

    I'm speaking as a nurse and someone who was in a car accident herself. (I smashed into the back of a semi-truck)

    It took me about three months to totally recover so, I'm saying, take it easy and listen to your doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Equidae, thanks for the positive energy! I’m feeling much better. Huge hugs for you too.

    Yvonne Rathbone, thanks for your kind words. And yes, I try to see the positive side of things. The alternative is way too ugly and takes too much energy.

    Emma, you know what’s the worse thing? I don’t know my neighbors very well. I work a lot and spend the rest of the time reading and writing, but I was always nice when I saw them. I guess it all paid off! Keep on sending the energy because it is working like a charm.

    ONe PiNK FiSH, it seems that everything still attached ;) I should be back to posting as usual in a few days. The doctor told me not to overdo it and to sleep, so my body can recover naturally. My body and I are starting to get ‘naturally’ bored and that might be a good sign.

    Pixie, thanks for your positive energy and for all your sweet messages through Facebook. You and other friends (online and face-to-face) kept me going when I needed it most. You are the best!

    Nik, thanks so much ;)

    Debbie, thank the gods everything is fine now. Thanks for all the love; I send you back twice as much ;)

    Sarita, you know what? I was extremely lucky. I went to the ER 3 times and I got the best doctors every time. They were sweet and caring, which is not always true for overworked ER doctors. I’m telling you, the gods were watching over me because everybody has been just great—except the guy who hit me, but he doesn’t count ;)

    Alie, I’m feeling better thanks. I think that it has to do with the fact that I’m always positive or maybe that I have so many good people sending me positive energy.

    Preston, you are right, some of the ache didn’t start until a few days after—even some bruises. I’m glad I had competent medical personal in good friends who advised me to be careful and stay off my feet. I’ll check out your site—I love a good contest ;)

    Marcia, I’m taking it one day at the time and blogging when I can as you suggested. I thought that I was going to be back in business sooner, but I noticed that my body wasn’t ready yet—I would get tired very quickly. I think I’ll be back to my almost full potential soon… thinking that STRIPPED is almost on the e-shelf *grin* gives me a little boost lol

    Melissa, you hit a semi! WOW! I’m listening to my doctor and to ‘my’ nurse. I’m expecting my body to take a little while to be back at 100%. I’ve noticed little aches in places that didn’t hurt at first, so I’m paying attention to those. I’m sleeping 7-8 hours (something I hadn’t done in years) I can already see the improvement—even my skin looks better!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous8/04/2009

    magaly i am very happy that you came out in one piece, i hope you recover completly from this; but i am so angry at you ... how could you not tell me any thing about your accident. + i talked to you last night..... i am disapointed really...

    Mickael

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mickael, don't be mad. There is something very scare about an angry Caribbean man with a French accent *grin* I thought you already knew... okay, I didn't want you to go all physical therapist on me. I already have one driving mad and torturing me every chance she gets ;)

    But really, I'm better. Plus I have Papi spoiling me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Magaly, I am sending as much positive energy as you need. I'm certainly happy that you came through your accident with just a few bruises, bumps and lots of blessings. And I thank God that you were not one of the fatal accidents that the police had to investigate.

    Get lots of rest and take it slow.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am sorry to hear about the car accident but thank goodness you are OK and had good neighbors to help you out at the time. I hope you get to feeling much better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you both, Andycea and Jennifer. I'm feeling much better. I'm hoping to be back to my 100% annoying self by the end of the month :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. When I was about 20 I was in an accident. Wasn't wearing a seatbelt and hit my head on the stearing wheel. It was not the law to wear a seat belt back then. I had a few stitches in my head and thought I was fine until the next day when my body ached all over. Doc said the body takes a good day to react to the shock of being jerked around. Take care of yourself and take it easy. :)

    If you get a chance, stop by and enter my contest for a Nanny McPhee DVD, electronic catch phrase, and a $25 Target Gift card.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm glad to hear you're okay! Nice neighbors you have there :D

    ReplyDelete