Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Presents, Awards and Insults Disguised as Praises

“Guess what Magaly? I saw the coolest looking journal and I was so going to get it for you! But the kids got all rowdy while we were at the store and I totally forgot. It was all glittery; you’d have loved it.” My friend let out a sigh loaded with regret.

I glanced at her desk and beamed. “Mmm! What about that cute pinkish thing?” I chin-pointed at a small colorful journal covered with daisies and stripes.

“You like it?” Her eyes widen with expectation.

“Like it?” I blew out some air to show how silly her question sounded. “Love it!”

“Please take it. It will be so cool to see you write your stories on something I gave you!”

I said thanks and grabbed my present. I already knew I wasn’t going to write on it anytime soon. I love journals so much that I usually hold on to them, until I find the perfect story to honor their pages with. I was going to display my new colorful present right next to another gift—a leather-bound journal that had its own wonderful story.

I left my friend’s office and walked back to my own to finish my lunch. I bumped into someone else. “Look what I got!” I showed her my new journal, barely able to contain my excitement. “Isn’t it precious?” I ignored her expression, which suggested that she thought my treasure was crap. I just continued raving. “This is such a great week. Today I got a cool journal and yesterday I got my first blog award. Wicked!”

She chuckled and shook her head. “Why do you waste your time and skills on a useless blog? Do some real writing. You are dedicated enough. You might be able to come up with something decent, if you put your mind into it.”

My mind was immediately flooded with about a thousand comebacks, some more colorful than others, but I chose one I believed to be perfect for the situation: “Hm, and I thought you weren’t smart enough to issue insults disguised as praises. How marvelous.”


I continued walking to my office and she stayed in the middle of the hallway, probably trying to figure out what I had meant, although I doubted she ever will. There is something about ignorance, which blinds some people in such a way that they fail to recognize their own stupidity—even if it hits them right in the face.

The last encounter brought to mind Melanie’s post, “Write On! Blog Proud”, where she encouraged all bloggers to display their writing with pride. Her post was a response to Don Mills Diva’s, “Write On! Respect the blog” where she issued the same invitation, after she read an article which pretty much described bloggers as scum.

Today, I display my Write On! Respect The Blogger banner proudly. And because one of my most cherished Eclectic Pagan Values is Acceptance, I accept that some journalists feel so threatened by the emergence of quality blogging—which might be leaving them without a job—that they will do/write anything to feel better about themselves.

If you are proud of your blog, show it by displaying your banner and writing your own post about the issue.
Go ahead, “Write On!”

***
I want to thank Jennifer from Goats In The Garden, for my 1st blog award! And because I believe that all my blogger friends are super lovely, I put all my favorites in a small cauldron and randomly selected the following 13 (I know the rules say 15, but I’m a rebel!). Without further delay, I pass this award to:

Alchemist's Tea Party
Cenhedlig
Cheap Wine and Cookies
Cogent Ascending
Discovering Paganism
Following the Willowisp
Land of Dragons and Butterflies
Marcia Colette
Monsieur le Roi
Meadowsweet & Myrrh
Pixie’s World of Wonder
Pumpkins and Toadstools
Soulstrings
Please visit Jennifer’s blog for Award rules—yes my darlings, blogging fame is an organized business!

21 comments:

  1. YAY!

    Writing is an expression of creativity and THAT is always valuable, no matter the medium - thanks for spreading the word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often get a similar response from other writers to the concept of blogs--reading them or writing for them. I don't take offense, actually; a lot of blogs outside the world of religion are either dull recitations of how many different types of muffins someone has eaten in their life, or how many lightbulbs they have in their lightbulb collection... or are the kind of political blog where the main point of interest is how rude people can manage to be to one another in the comments section.

    Both types of blog give the genre a bad name.

    One reason that Yvonne, Jason, Chas and I started Metapagan was to give good Pagan bloggers more of a chance of being spotted. There is a lot of good online writing and conversation in the Pagan blogosphere, and one way to inspire more of it is to make it easier to find. (If you haven't visited Metapagan yet, please do--and feel free to nominate your own best posts--not necessarily _every_ post, but certainly your best--as well as other good posts you find in your reading for our feed.)

    And some of these blog conversations do become print books in time; I've just received news that two of my own pieces are going to be picked up in a new Quaker anthology.

    Print gets more respect for a reason... but we can change that!

    Oh! And, lest I forget: congratulations on your award! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gracias. Writing is writing. I love writing in blogs as well as my notebooks and paper journals. She shouldn't assume what and where you write. Thanks again for the award :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drawing names, what a good idea!

    I love journals, there is just something special about them and yours is lovely. What a nice gift.

    I wouldn't worry about that person, some people have the reaction to another person's moment of happiness of wanting to take it away somehow. I think those kinds of people are probably unhappy in their own lives so they can't stand to see someone else experiencing joy that they are not. Or maybe she was just being a ...nevermind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don Mills Diva thanks for taking the lead.

    Cat, you are so right! I’ve actually stopped following a blog, or two, or three… because people are so mean to each other. The worst are the ones where people issue colorful curses, or put a commenter down in such a way, that it makes me feel like I’m in high school all over again. Sad, really… Oh, I’ll definitely check out MetaPagan. I check it out every once in a while, but had never *cough, cough* read the rules for contributing. The other day I saw one of my posts there and thought “Hm, someone else thought of the same title, how neat!” I know, I know, I was a bit out of it ;)

    Filho de Logunede, thanks for your input. I like your phrase “Writing is writing”, I believe that any writing that comes from a person’s soul is worth something—at least to the writer.

    Jennifer, I just couldn’t decide. I truly like all the blogs I follow, for they all have something to offer. You wouldn’t believe how long it took me to decide, um… or to realize that I couldn’t, so I thought “huh! Contest!” Thanks so much for the award again and for the wonderful stories, pictures… I miss country living and your post give me a chance to check my roots through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOU ARE LOVELY!
    Thank you so much for mentioning my page in your blog awards and a blessing in kind right back at you for this very thoughtful way of expressing your ability to cherish the creative in all of us no matter what form it may come in.
    Sadly I have to say I think one of the commentors was right.
    I have often been in such a snarky mood that when a friend or peer came to with good news I immediately put them down out of habit and anxt over not having something equally as lovely to share ot be proud of.
    Now the true test of this persons character will be if they awcknowledge in some way, be it grandiose or petite, that they were total poop dicks and find a way of letting you know that your happiness isn't the cause of their personal distress.
    This is how I make recompense for all the times I've acted like an unknowing shit to someone who otherwise should have been encouraged to live right in their moment and enjoy it to the last drop.
    Thanks again and I am going to try and figure out how to replicate the award in a post of my own.
    Again, YOU ARE LOVELY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi there! thanks for stopping by my blog and loving me up with a comment:)

    have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cogent Ascending-

    Yes, I am lovely! (and very modest too) lol I think that we all do that every now and then, some do it more often and/or more intensively. Whenever I'm having a crabby day, I make sure that everybody around me knows--I tell them. That way they leave me alone for a while, and if I happen to snap at them, they already know that the nastiness was not directed to them in particular. And there is always the last thing: apology. It might be just a few words, but we both know they go a long way.

    Jineen, thanks for visiting! Don't be a stranger ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOOHOO AN AWARD!! NOW IF i COULD JUST FIGURE OUT HOW TO POST IT AND attach others to it so when they click on the name it goes to there site.. I'm so bad at this SO I will again try... thank you thank you and I hope I can do it.
    the only time I have ever writting in a journal is when I'm on vacation that about it... right now with 2 little ones at home who has time! I'm picking up food from the floor and wall , sanitizing the bathroom because my son pees on the floor or the wall so when I get done wipeing things down I really don't feel like writting just vegging!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Klynch,

    Thanks for taking a break from the 'pee war'! And trust me, I might not be a mom, but I have 5 brothers--Eeeeeeeeeeeek!

    I'm sure you'll figure you'll figure out how to display your award, if not, do email me. I'd be glad to help ;)

    P.S. You should start keeping a journal about son's, um... pee business. Make sure you keep pictures of the evidence too. I'm thinking blackmail!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on your first bloggy award!! I cant believe she blurted out the THOUGHT of buying you something and then had time to buy one herself. So foolish! But you handled it with such grace and dignity!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much! I'm all excited about it, I know I'm silly, but who cares. I was so happy about my day, that I didn't pay a whole lot of mind to her ill words. Thanks for stopping by, now I'm going to check you super cool blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats to you and thanks from me for my first award as well :) Hopefully I'll get round to passing it on soon too. I'm really pleased you have been enjoying my blog, thanks for stopping by and commenting, it means a lot. Blessings x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't believe she called your blog useless. Honestly! Some people have no idea how rude they are.

    Great post!

    Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Michel, this is a late, late, late... response to this comment, but I'm playing catch up. I'm glot to be your first lol and I enjoy your blog very much as well. I always find thought provoking material in it.

    Reluctant Housewife, people are very strange, so I just go with it. This person is very negative about everything she does, so I didn't expect anything good. And oh, can she be rude!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Michel, this is a late, late, late... response to this comment, but I'm playing catch up. I'm glot to be your first lol and I enjoy your blog very much as well. I always find thought provoking material in it.

    Reluctant Housewife, people are very strange, so I just go with it. This person is very negative about everything she does, so I didn't expect anything good. And oh, can she be rude!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much! I'm all excited about it, I know I'm silly, but who cares. I was so happy about my day, that I didn't pay a whole lot of mind to her ill words. Thanks for stopping by, now I'm going to check you super cool blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't believe she called your blog useless. Honestly! Some people have no idea how rude they are.

    Great post!

    Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi there! thanks for stopping by my blog and loving me up with a comment:)

    have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gracias. Writing is writing. I love writing in blogs as well as my notebooks and paper journals. She shouldn't assume what and where you write. Thanks again for the award :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Drawing names, what a good idea!

    I love journals, there is just something special about them and yours is lovely. What a nice gift.

    I wouldn't worry about that person, some people have the reaction to another person's moment of happiness of wanting to take it away somehow. I think those kinds of people are probably unhappy in their own lives so they can't stand to see someone else experiencing joy that they are not. Or maybe she was just being a ...nevermind!

    ReplyDelete