A Marine Witch “Improvises, Adapts & Overcomes”

am an Eclectic Witch, but if I ever had to choose a specific tradition, it would have to be Green Witchcraft. I thrive in the wild. Untamed woods and large bodies of water feed my mind, body and soul. And in the name of vanity, it is appropriate to point out the wilderness makes my hair and skin look fabulous.

I don’t live in the middle of the woods at the present moment, but I was inching my way there. I reside in a small rundown city in Upstate New York, surrounded by wild marvels. I only have to drive a few miles to find myself running next to a beautiful creek. Go a bit further and the majestic presence of a river overwhelms my senses and shows living proof of the immense creative power of the gods. And facing the river, standing proud, there are rock formations that would make any climber tremble with sweet anticipation.

My original intension was to stay here for a year, and then relocate to a more rural area. However, Fate is capricious and has decided to nudge me in the opposite direction. I’m a Witch, so I know better than to fight Fate. I am also a United States Marine, so I find comfort in knowing that the ability to get accustomed to new surroundings—fast—is embedded in my bones. A Marine Witch is not afraid to improvise, adapt and overcome adversity.

In two weeks I’ll pack my garden, my cauldron, my broom, the wilderness in my soul... and move back to New York City!

I’m excited about the move. It is always good to return home. I’ll be close to my daddy, my brothers, my nieces and to the pride of my heart: my nephew Robinson (I can’t wait to be able to see my boy every day!). And there is more to the move than going back to loved ones. The rest has to do with my fiction writing and with my heart, but those will be different posts—don’t worry, I’ll share soon.

This is going to be a bittersweet experience. I’m so happy to go back to my own, but I think about being encircled by concrete and steel and my witchy heart shudders. I know I’ll be okay, but I’m a bit anxious about being a Green Witch in the big city.

How do you feel about city life? Are you a concrete and steel junkie? Or do you prefer the tranquility of the countryside?

14 comments:

  1. I lived in the city (DC) for 12 years. I still yearn for parts of it. Of course, NYC is my favorite place on Earth, so I'm extremely jealous of your move. And BTW, please don't forget to visit my Silly Sunday Sweepstakes. Your sense of humor will fit right in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a wonderful book by Judith Berger called Herbal Rituals that is definitely made for a green witch in New York City - she writes about how she finds life EVERYWHERE in New York City and makes it work for her. Never assume because you see buildings that nature has somehow gone away - it's still right there, in a different shape, wherever you may go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa B., every time I start missing my woods, I'll think about the fact that you are somewhere green with jealousy *grin*. I love NYC too and like Diana wrote, I'm sure I'll find nature in other forms.

    Diana, thanks for the recommendation, it will be the first book I buy when I get to NYC. It sounds like I'm going to need it. I might even write a short review to tell you how I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That "small rundown city" wouldn't be Utica by any chance? ;)

    I'm a concrete junkie all the way. My mom thought I was nuts when I moved from upstate NY to Atlanta to Boston and now I'm here in Raleigh. Raleigh isn't what I'd call a Boston or Atlanta, but it is growing fast. In fact, it was one of the top cities for growth during the recession. The only reason why I chose to move here was Research Triangle Park. I have this mad scientist complex inside me that is dying to get out. ;-)

    Anyway, I know you're going to love the city. I love visiting my writer and college friends who live there. With you being there, I have more reason to stay a tad longer than usual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marcia, I refuse to provide any information that might encourage my neighbors *cough, cough* I mean, any Utica citizen to stone me to death lol.

    I used to love my Raleigh get aways (When I was stationed in Camp Lejeune). And I know I love the city, I just hope to get use to all the noise fast enough ;(

    Well, you just tell me when you are coming over and we'll party! I think my little brother has my schedule full for the next two years, but I'll always make time for dear friends lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And in the name of vanity, it is appropriate to point out the wilderness makes my hair and skin look fabulous.

    LMFAO!
    I loved this!

    Your a freaking marine!?
    Way to go!
    I was in the navy for two days.
    Then I spent three months in seperations waiting ot be discharged.
    lol
    I'm a nature junkie so long as there is a house in the middle of it with all the modern creature comforts.
    Like those creepy guys who join the NRA and then live out in the Denver mountains sharpening the Katana collection and greasing the barrels of their rifles "just in case."
    ;p

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great ten years of life ;) Funny you you mentioned the NRA because I'm an armorer (gunsmith). Yes dear, I fixed guns to make sure our boys didn't blow their own toes away. Then I became a Marine Corps Combat Instructor and helped them to learn to patrol and things of that nature. After that I worked at the Casualty Section of the Marine Corps, that was a very sad job. My last job in the Marine Corps was the one I enjoyed the most. I was a case manager helping my guys who were seriously injured in the current war. I learned a lot about myself there.

    P.S. Just because I know you'd appreciate this, let me tell you that everybody was amazed by how I kept my nails clean while fixing rifles, or how I stayed smelling good after a few days in the field (without showering). My secret? I have a really good gay friend who, um... happens to be a Marine. He would hike though the woods in the middle of the night and bring me toiletries ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. BTW, my youngest just launched a photo blog, and I'm shamelessly trolling for traffic. Please visit my site to see what she's got going, and pay her a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prima welcome home to NYC! Ooo we are gonna raise up some holy hell up in this place! Here's to Tostones and Brujeria! :)
    The type of witchcraft I resonate is Strega because of my ancestors and Feri Witchcraft because it is very queer friendly and compliments my orisha practice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mi Primo! I'm glad you stopped by to give me one more reason why this move is going to super cool, goodness I can not wait for the food! "Tostones and Brujería"? Cheers!

    Melissa B., no shame in promoting your child's work. I would expect no less. I'm going to check it out right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The move sounds exciting! I bet NYC is a great place to visit. I can't imagine all the different places to go and shop so close to home. I have to drive 4 miles (one way) just to get a Dr. Pepper or a cup of coffee! (And that is from a quick trip store. If you are hoping for Star Bucks, think more like 40 miles!

    Still I know I am most happy and at peace in the country. It just feels right to me, the wide open spaces, green grass, nature, it is just who I am. One of my earliest dreams was to live on a farm. This is where I am supposed to be. I can see the advantages to city life though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I like the city too, but I was meant for the wild. I want to hear crickets and frogs at night ;(

    On the other hand, I found a place across from a library and a couple of blocks from a huge park, so there is hope!

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is a wonderful book by Judith Berger called Herbal Rituals that is definitely made for a green witch in New York City - she writes about how she finds life EVERYWHERE in New York City and makes it work for her. Never assume because you see buildings that nature has somehow gone away - it's still right there, in a different shape, wherever you may go.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Melissa B., every time I start missing my woods, I'll think about the fact that you are somewhere green with jealousy *grin*. I love NYC too and like Diana wrote, I'm sure I'll find nature in other forms.

    Diana, thanks for the recommendation, it will be the first book I buy when I get to NYC. It sounds like I'm going to need it. I might even write a short review to tell you how I liked it.

    ReplyDelete